Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Gong to "Londom"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gong to "Londom"

Hey you all, I plan on visiting London in july 2005, so...

Can anyone give me hints on Places to go-Things to do-
    People to see-

and

Places NOT to go-Things NOT to do and People NOT to see??

thanks yall

Sporting club square?

How about a Jerry Cornelius tour, or a Mother London pub crawl :? ? :D

Comment

Things to do...

- The London Eye
      - Comedy boat trip down the Thames (not boats with comedy on them, but normal boat tours - the taped guides are always hilarious, with plenty of comedy sound effects)
      - The Natural History Museum in Kensington
      - Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Ave
      - Stroll down The Mall (but don't trying getting a Black Cab from there, I'm telling ya!)
      - The Aquarium on the South Bank (haven't been, but loads of people have recommended it)
      - Go to a old man's pub, like The Coal Hole in The Strand, but try not to pay آ£3 for a decent pint.

Things not to do...

- Leicester Square - avoid at all costs!
      - Rock Circus and themed places like The Rainforest Cafe
      - Go to tube stations around 7am-9am and 5am-7pm during the week, especially in the Summer 8O
      - Buy pizza from any outlet in Camden Town 8O 8O
      - Camden Town market

Erm... that's all I can think of now!! Hope that helps a bit! :D

Comment

The British Museum - The great Court and Reading room are awe inspiring 8O

The Chandos pub just off Trafalger Square for cheap beer in a niceish place.

Comment

Re: Gong to "Londom"

Originally posted by Hans von Hammer

People to see-

Theatres:

'The Globe' Recreation of Shakespeare's old gaff.
          'The Hackney Empire' Restored Edwardian Music Hall.
          'Theatre Royal', Stratford East. (Used to be a nice, reasonably priced, theatre bar attached). Unsalubrious shopping centre attached, handy for tube

Pubs
          'The Coach & Horses' Greek Street, Soho. (Handy for decent Restaraunts in 'China Town', British Museum and Forbidden Planet). Seedy Pub, bit like Queen Vic. in 'Eastenders', occasionally recognise famous faces on way back from voice-over work, or visiting agent. Used to have Landlord with reputation as rudest landlord in London.

Buy yourself a 'Geographer's A to Z' when you get there!

Comment

Oooh, this can quickly become a longish thread, what?

I loved London for its many foreign restaurants: Indian, Russian, Chinese, Ethiopian ... I'd get fat in London, that's for sure!
            Google ergo sum

Comment

Re: Gong to "Londom"

Originally posted by Hans von Hammer

People to see-

and

Places NOT to go-Things NOT to do and People NOT to see??

thanks yall
              What sort of things are you after/interested in? I can probably let you know plenty of cool stuff to do.
              ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

Comment

Well, as MissDreamy pointed out, Forbidden Planet is an absolute must. God, I've spent hours in that place!
                Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

I echo most that has been said by others, so much to do in London.
                  Also, if you happen to like live music or shows, then you will be spoilt for choice.

Comment

Gardens
                    Kew Gardens Kew

Museums
                    Museum of Childhood Bethnal Green
                    Museum of London The Barbican. Everything you ever wanted to know about London. One of my all time favourite museums.

Comment

Oh well, and should you find London not to your liking, you can always go to Alliance Francaise in Nآ°1 Dorset Square NW1 and inquire about Paris, okey-dokey?
                      But I doubt this will happen!

L'Etranger
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Well, I'm hoping the new Mary Poppins musical will still be running. I know, sounds naff -- but they're not letting children under 7 in and it's a much darker version (like original books) using solid Edwardian effects methods (v. sophisticated of course) rather than modern computerised methods. Sounds bloody good to me. Of course, I'm rather familiar with everything else. The Transport Museum in Covent Garden's not bad, either, if you're interested in the kind of trams Jack Karaquazian was holding up in The War Amongst the Angels... Brick Lane market was still okay, last time I was there. Portobello Market isn't what it was, but is probably still okay if it's new to you. Bookstores in Charing Cross Road are still worth checking out, including the second hand stores in the
                        Courts (though avoid Foyles, if you can, which is much over-rated) all round the corner from Forbidden Planet. New Worlds at Murder One in Charing Cross Road also has some interesting stuff. Compendium Books ? Are they still in Camden High Street -- admittedly in the unrecommended market ? But theatre is London's great attraction for me. Even in a weak season, it's better than anywhere else in the world. Best for Shakespeare (unless you also go to Stratford on your trip).
                        51 Blenheim Crescent is where Jerry was brought up by his mum.
                        87 Ladbroke Grove is where New Worlds was published from (where I lived for years). Much of the rest of 'my' Notting Hill has disappeared under trashy, flashy stuff more familiar from the Notting Hill movie than from any experience of mine. Not a pub left worth going in, for instance.
                        I'd recommend you get Iain Sinclair's books about his walks -- Lights Out for the Territory, for instance -- rather than conventional guide books!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          ... But theatre is London's great attraction for me. Even in a weak season, it's better than anywhere else in the world. Best for Shakespeare (unless you also go to Stratford on your trip). ...
                          I'd just like to point out here that the Theatre Royal, in Stratford East (London) has nothing to do with Stratford Upon Avon (Warwickshire)! Two completely different places.

Way back when, there was at least one time I met two American pensioners, lost like souls in Purgatory, in East Ham and apparently looking for Anne Hathaway's Cottage. Well, it does say 'Stratford' on the Central Line, on the London Tube map

Comment

If Stratford council had any sense they'd build a fake cottage across from the tube station, selling souvenirs. That's all most tourist want, anyway. Anyone living in Stratford thought of going into the Ann Hathaway T-shirt business ? It's easier to get there from central London and you could do a roaring trade in Shakespeare busts. All profits to local services. Sounds a winner to me.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                              If Stratford council had any sense they'd build a fake cottage across from the tube station, selling souvenirs. That's all most tourist want, anyway. Anyone living in Stratford thought of going into the Ann Hathaway T-shirt business ? It's easier to get there from central London and you could do a roaring trade in Shakespeare busts. All profits to local services. Sounds a winner to me.
                              I see a timely boost there for Stratford East's part in London's bid for the 2012 Olympics.

:lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X