Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Templars and the Vatican may kiss and make up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Templars and the Vatican may kiss and make up!

Have a look at this link I came across

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...379629,00.html

Whatever will the conspiracy theorists make of this? There must be enough in this story to keep them going for years.

Incidentally, it has an interesting aside on the origins of the Friday 13th superstitions. Anyone know how accurate that is?
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

When I lived in Bournemouth, our next door neighbour (who hated us) had a friend who claimed to be a psychic. I was hanging my washing out on the line one morning and this woman rushed out of the house and informed me that I was the reincarnation of a Knights Templar. She had suddenly experienced a vision of me being slain in the Holy Land. Our neighbour was wringing her hands anxiously in the background, but being a cosmic kind of guy and occasional practiser of Buddhist meditation, I took it in my stride.

The problem is that a Knight Templar must be about the second most popular past incarnation after an Ancient Egyptian Priestess of Isis. So if there's any compensation up for grabs from the Vatican, it will have to be divided up a lot. Who says this mob from Hertford are the real McCoy? The Knights Templar were accused of practising sodomy and worshipping a severed head called Baphomet. What we know for sure is that they laid down the foundations of modern banking and probably got too wealthy for their own good. So why am I generally skint? Is this the law of karma in operation?
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Allow me to add one bit of info: in many parts of Latin America it is martes 13 - Tuesday 13th that is supposed to be an unlucky day. Friday 13 doesn't seem much of a worry there.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

in many parts of Latin America it is martes 13 - Tuesday 13th that is supposed to be an unlucky day
        And so it is in spain, for that matter. It's not the first time i see friday october 13th 1307 as the origin of the superstition. sounds plausible.
        The irony in the idea of the Vatican apologizing about this, is clement 5 never was in Vatican. I don't know that he ever was in rome, at least not as the pope. besides, it is commonly assumed that he only let philip 4 do whatever he liked, out of sheer impotence.

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
          in many parts of Latin America it is martes 13 - Tuesday 13th that is supposed to be an unlucky day
          And so it is in spain, for that matter. It's not the first time i see friday october 13th 1307 as the origin of the superstition. sounds plausible.
          The irony in the idea of the Vatican apologizing about this, is clement 5 never was in Vatican. I don't know that he ever was in rome, at least not as the pope. besides, it is commonly assumed that he only let philip 4 do whatever he liked, out of sheer impotence.
          I believe Clement 5th was based in Avignon & therefore at the mercy of Philip who was decidedly skint.
          Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

I believe Clement 5th was based in Avignon & therefore at the mercy of Philip who was decidedly skint.
            absolutely. :D

Comment

in the article, someone suggested the church should stop apologizing. i completely disagree! why should the church not continue to apologize for the rotten things it's done in God's name? why is admitting it's not perfect, it made a mistake, and sorry for its wrongdoings not a good idea? silly me, i know why--apologizing would demonstrate FALLABILITY. then it's back to court for more pain and suffering lawsuits. :roll:

finally: i thought the number thirteen and its association with bad luck is that 13 were at the last supper: Jesus and his twelve apostles = 13. when Judas left it made a nice 12. correct me if i'm wrong here, please.

Comment

i think thats right, poetgrrl. and friday (not saturday) is originally sabbath day, no?
                thought of it just after i said the theory of friday the 13th superstitions originating in the templar's story was plausible... :oops: ...m'afraid i type faster than i think!

Comment

Working...
                X