Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Random curiosity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random curiosity...

Actually it isn't entirely random, but I wasn't sure where to find the information, and there are a lot of clever people here, so I hoped they could help:

I know the words for motherly, fatherly and brotherly love (maternal, paternal and fraternal), but when I tried to come up with the equivalent for sisterly love my mind drew a complete blank.

I'm writing a script with three female characters you see, and that stumped me a little. It's not hugely urgent, obviously... but I'd be interested to know.

Thank you.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

sisterly....?
    Regret achieves nothing. Regret breeds weakness. Regret is a cancer which attacks the body's vital organs and eventually destroys.

Comment

I could tell you the greek word for Brotherly love, but havent a clue about Sisterly.

Comment

Looking at my daughters, I think sisterly love is a fairy tale

All the words you quoted have a Latin root, frater-nal, pater-nal, mater-nal ...the analogy would demand soror-nal, no? Hmmm, "sororific"?
        Google ergo sum

Comment

The feminine equivalent is the somewhat obscure word "sororal".
          Best/Mario

Comment

That's what I thought, because in American films they have "fraternities" and "sororities", so I assumed that it would have that root... but it just sounds odd, doesn't it? Obviously it's rarely used, so L'Etranger is probably correct about it being a "fairy tale"... and having grown up with two older sisters, I'd have to agree. :)

Thanks everyone... even the Duke. :D
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
              Looking at my daughters, I think sisterly love is a fairy tale

All the words you quoted have a Latin root, frater-nal, pater-nal, mater-nal ...the analogy would demand soror-nal, no? Hmmm, "sororific"?
              Sororific you say? Well i think thats TERR-Iffic! Mwaaahahahahaa. :oops:

Comment

Working...
              X