Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Earthquakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquakes

I felt this one last night. Shook things up all over North Italy but apparently no fatalities.

Anyone have any good quake stories to tell?

Re: Earthquakes

Originally posted by DiGiMac
    I felt this one last night. Shook things up all over North Italy but apparently no fatalities.

Anyone have any good quake stories to tell?
    Oh, here you are! Posted my concerns in our merry travelling book thread.
    So you are alright, good to hear, maybe the book comes next.

I experienced my biggest earthquake 1990 in Costa Rica. 6.9 on the Richter scale - in China the same would have killed 20,000, but in peaceful CR only a pig named "Olga" was killed and immediately consumed by the helpers of the fire brigade. Luckily it was a Sunday morning and most people weren't at work, but either at church or in bed. Like me, the memsahib and first daughter. We ran out into the garden of the house after the first "bang" (yes, it sounded like that) and felt much like on a trampolin.
    Most peculiar and disconcerting were the thousands of after-quakes the next few days, and I went through a personal period of feeling insecure - which is healthy and reminds that so much you hold for certain isn't at all.
    The next year Costa Rica was hit even harder and suffered casualities.
    Old people there say: Stay away from Costa Rica durung "Semana santa" - Easter! Most earthquake seem to occur around that time.
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
    X