Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tattoo ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo ideas.

I've been toying with the idea of getting tattoos for many years but have always held back as I've never found anything that I felt meant enough for me to have permanently on my skin.
    Until a few months ago that is. I realised that The Champion Eternal and Elric especially has been a part of my life for 14 years now and has definitely had a great deal of influence on me.

So, I'm thinking that I'd like to get a back piece done showing various central images from the Eternal Champion stories and of Elric in particular.

I had originally thought to have the Cosmic Balance as the central image with pics of Elric, stormbringer, the actorios, dragons etc surrounding it. Until i rembered a film where the main character had a similar balance/scales tattood on his back.
    My second thought is having the Skraeling Tree as the cenral piece.

I was wondering if people could suggest a few images/symbols from Elric's adventures that would translate well into a tattoo.

Cheers!
    Regret achieves nothing. Regret breeds weakness. Regret is a cancer which attacks the body's vital organs and eventually destroys.

Well, I can't say I'd ever get up the nerve to have one done, so I'm not really qualified to make suggestions, but I think Stormbringer by itself could be pretty cool between the shoulder blades, with glowing runes and strange black smoke swirling around and about. Or Elric, all in black, with piercing red eyes sat astride a dragon in flight. I haven't really looked through the image gallery properly, but I imagine there's some great inspiration in there. No doubt the images I've suggested have already been rendered by someone or other.

Ooh, or Elric holding Stormbringer aloft on the roof of a spire, while dragons fly overhead, fanning out towards the shoulders.

For some reason I've got it into my head that a back tattoo should be trinagular, but I don't suppose that's necessarily the case. I don't actually know anyone with any tattoos at this point, which goes to show what a sheltered life I lead.

Good luck with it, whatever you choose!
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Thanks. :) yeah, an upside down triangle type shape. It fits with the shoulders tapering down towards the waist.
      I didn't actually notice there was an image gallery on the site. I better go check it out now!
      I'm not sure I actually want Elric's face on me. I've alwas thought having people tattood is a bit freaky!

Hmm, maybe Stormbringer as the central piece would be good. with smaller images from Elric's life around it in the smoke. Hmm...
      Regret achieves nothing. Regret breeds weakness. Regret is a cancer which attacks the body's vital organs and eventually destroys.

Comment

I don't have time to answer this question right now, so I'll go into the details tomorrow. I strongly recommend you get greyshade work for this. You can get so much more detail in greyshade than color. You could always do greyshade and have the artist highlight with white. You'll probably want to have his eyes done in red. I totally understand that, but you should know beforehand that the most common allergy to tattoo ink is red. You might end up having to get the white and red touched up often. Just some stuff for you to think about. Ask me anything about tattoos. Unlike Dee, I'm fully qualified to answer them.

أ?anisty
        - the resident tattoo artist at your service :D

Comment

Cheers Danistry! :D

I'd already decided on having the piece done in black/grey shade. Clour would give the wrong feel i think. I've seen some great pieces shaded with white standing out brightly (glowing runes...). Red eyes/actoris would be good though.
          What I'm having trouble with at the moment is getting some basic sketches done to sho the artist. I'm not great with a pencil!

Comment

I've seen some great pieces shaded with white standing out brightly (glowing runes...). Red eyes/actoris would be good though.
            I think that would look great. I just wanted you to know that it would probably have to be touched up every few years or so.

I think the first step would be to figure out how you want Elric to look. There are so many renditions out there and it would be a good idea to collect a few pics you really like to give the artist an idea of what style it should be done in. Since Elric will be the focus for the tattoo, the artist might be able to use those pics as a springboard for lots of other ideas.

I would avoid using too many different images of Elric in one piece...it runs the risk of looking disconnected. You may want a washed profile image in the background and a full-size badass looking bloodlust Elric in front of it...say covering up the back of his head. Did that make sense? I personally would consider a picturesque sort of scene of Melnibonأ© in the background with a dragon. Maybe you could do both. Have a scene of Melnibonأ© in the background on one side and have it fade into a large profile of Elric on the other side, then have a full-size picture of Elric in front of that. If you want, I could try to work up a very basic sketch. Let me know.

Btw, this is going to be an expensive tattoo...lol. Make sure you find the right artist for the job.

Comment

Wow! You're giving me so many ideas!
              I hadn't originally intended to have Elric as part of the tattoo. When I said about different images from his adventures I meant images of things that he has encountered or were part of his saga;
              stormbringer(obviously), actoris, skraeling tree, vanishing tower, the horn of fate, dragon, etc.

Though I'm liking your idea better. A scene of Melnebone/Immyrr as the back ground (before or after it's destruction...? hmmm...) with Elric up front and a dragon in the air above him sounds really good. And maybe some of the dreaming city's famous birds!

I would really appreciate it if you could draw up a basic sketch of some ideas for me. Gives me something I can show to the inker.
              Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X