Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Expert: Writing Best for Contacting Aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expert: Writing Best for Contacting Aliens

hmm...
    :roll:

Originally posted by Discovey Channel
    Expert: Writing Best for Contacting Aliens
    ABC Science Online
    Sept. 3, 2004 — Writing, rather than phoning, is probably the best way to contact aliens, U.S. scientists say.

So instead of phoning home, it could have been more energy efficient if ET had inscribed information and physically sent it, because radio waves disperse as they travel.

"Think of a flashlight beam," said Christopher Rose, of Rutgers University in New Jersey, who reported his finding in today's issue of the journal Nature.

“ If haste is unimportant, sending messages inscribed in some material can be strikingly more efficient than communicating by electronic waves. ”

"Its intensity decreases as it gets farther from its source. The same is true of the beam of a laser pointer, though the distance is much longer," he added.

"If haste is unimportant, sending messages inscribed in some material can be strikingly more efficient than communicating by electronic waves."

Scientists have known that radio waves can, in principle, be used to communicate over interstellar distances.

And Rose and his colleague, physicist Gregory Wright, were pondering how to get the most bits per second over a wireless channel.

They concluded that the detectability of a signal diminished with distance. Essentially the radio waves were 'diluted' as they travelled through space, meaning much of their energy was wasted, even if some of the signal reached the target.

That "dilution" could also cause a problem for aliens trying to contact Earth.

The researchers argued that for a civilization to send anything other than a basic message over a large distance using radio waves, it would have to build a huge antenna, the size of the Earth.

If the recipient wasn't listening or missed it, the message may have to be sent many times.

The suggestion that written information may be a better way of communicating with aliens is not new. But the U.S. researchers were the first to provide quantitative evidence for, essentially, leaving a "message in a bottle."

A physical message encoded in an object could have benefits for both the sender and the receiver as it lands somewhere and stays there, the researchers said.

Messages from aliens could possibly be embedded in organic material in an asteroid, for example. They could also be in the crater made as it hits the Earth.

Woodruff Sullivan, from the University of Washington in Seattle, said sending signals was the best way to communicate with extraterrestrials over short distances.

In a commentary published in the same issue of the journal, Sullivan said that the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) project, which mainly uses radio waves, should continue.

"But perhaps some attention should be paid to the possibility of one day finding in our solar system an information-drenched artefact, sent by an extremely advanced extraterrestrial civilization interested only in one-way communication," he said.

He said the people who sent this could be "orbiting the sun or a planet, or resting somewhere on a planet, moon or asteroid."

"The scenario is reminiscent of Arthur C Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey, in which a monolith discovered on the moon has been left by extraterrestrials."
    Well they should check out the posters on this board!

:lol:
    \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
    Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

Re: Expert: Writing Best for Contacting Aliens

Originally posted by Darren

Well they should check out the posters on this board!

And they should hurry a trifle to make their suggestions who should play the Elric part !
    Google ergo sum

Comment

take me to your leader

take me to your leader, earthling.

Comment

And they should hurry a trifle to make their suggestions who should play the Elric part !
        Yeah, but what casting director would employ a guy with his eyes on stalks?! Or two heads? They'd get type cast as that Alien who couldn't quite get the part of Hamlet because of the tentacles.

\'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
        Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

Comment

By their are you subtlely referring to the Great Man Himself?

Comment

No, I lack all subtlety ...
            It referred to the fact that at least 800 members and several thousand guests here have voiced their wishes on who should and who should not, so let's hear a more distanced opinion.
            Google ergo sum

Comment

Ultimately all this will be decided in conference with the studio, of course, but my dream cast includes Paul Bettany as Elric and Aishwarya Rai as Cymoril.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
              X