Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Attack of the Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the Machines

I've been thinking about the clasic plot of the "Attack of the Machines" storyline where robots turn against their makers... I don't think this is going to happen in quite the way that is predicted in science fiction... we expect robots to go wrong, even though their is little reason for them to attack humanity as a whole there would be tons of safeguards against that... If machines do turn against us, the source will be virus protection software. I say this because it follows the logical extension of their functions.....
    They are designed to eliminate viruses... humans are the source of computer viruses... eliminate the humans and the problem goes away.

I just thought I throw this one out and see what people thought :D

I would just hope that they would be discriminating enough to only get rid of those humans who created the viruses. Leave the rest of us alone. But see, there's no huge story plot in that, so, you know...

But what would really happen with regard to robots is that man, having not learned a thing from history, would start to feel threatened and begin discriminating against the robots, making them live in the worst areas and giving them the crappiest jobs. Then we'd scratch our heads and wonder why there was so much robot-on-robot violence.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

A real impediment to world conquest, for robots, is getting through the litigation required to make it legal for them to kill humans that spread computer viruses. It will be cheaper for them to develop robotic condoms, ribbed for more efficient coupling and secured for its protection.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Working...
      X