Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

MOST TRAVELLED MOORCOCK BOOK

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOST TRAVELLED MOORCOCK BOOK

MICHAEL, should you happen to come hither reading this thread, please abandon it instantly! Just trust us.... and stay away!

Okay, this idea originated a few days ago based on Deecrowseer's generous giving away books free, and it got an encouraging nod from L_Stearns_Newburg, so let's try if it works.

I have a spare, unused copy of "Tales from the Texas Woods" and would send it by mail to another forum member, possibly very far from Western Europe, who then signs having recieved it inside the cover and mails it on (having read it or not, doesn't matter) to somebody else. The signatures are the evidence to prove how far this book travelled.
    We could then decide either to auction it and transfer the money for some charity organisation, or send the whole thing with, hopefully, hundreds of fan signatures to MM as a gift for his birthday in December.
    Spread the word, also in other threads, because not all here read this section .... but stay off Q&A which I have the impression is read by "the Master" himself, and if we decide what to do with it, he perhaps should know of the Birthday option.
    I suggest we vote in the poll which I declare open until Sept. 8th. Whatever the result we can start sending the the book around the world from tomorrow on.
    Calling Australia, NZ, Canada, Mexico, Brazil or the USA ...! Any "blerry van der Merves" from S.A. around?

PS the idea can be further elaborated, bv requiring everybody to get a stamp of the local PO or similar into the book, like visas in a passport ...
    I am sure Deecrowseer will come up with an idea that will flabbergast us all, hehe
    Google ergo sum

Re: MOST TRAVELLED MOORCOCK BOOK

Originally posted by LEtranger
    PS the idea can be further elaborated, bv requiring everybody to get a stamp of the local PO or similar into the book, like visas in a passport ... I am sure Deecrowseer will come up with an idea that will flabbergast us all, hehe
    I wouldn't bet your beer money on that, L'E!

I don't mean to sound like a party pooper, because I think it really is a good idea, and I admire your ambitions... but I don't have much faith in the postal service in this country, and I'm not sure how everyone else feels about the reliability of their mail. It would be a shame for the book to have picked up fifty or so signatures and then go "missing". If it gets up and running, then I'm happy to do my bit, but I'd hate to see the logistics of the whole thing get in the way of good intentions.

As I say, I think it's a good idea, especially as a B-Day gift for Mr M, but for what it's worth my suggestion would be this: Everyone makes a photocopy of the cover of their fave Moorcock book, signs it, and posts it to a designated "editor". They then remove the (hopefully) exotic stamps from the envelope and attach them to the photocopy. The copies are then assembled in to a book, which can then be presented to Mr M.

I'm sure your "flabbers" are far from from "gasted", but the cheaper and easier you make things, the less fall out they'll be if our old friend Chaos starts playing silly buggers.

D...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Re: MOST TRAVELLED MOORCOCK BOOK

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer

I don't mean to sound like a party pooper, because I think it really is a good idea, and I admire your ambitions... but I don't have much faith in the postal service in this country, and I'm not sure how everyone else feels about the reliability of their mail. It would be a shame for the book to have picked up fifty or so signatures and then go "missing". If it gets up and running, then I'm happy to do my bit, but I'd hate to see the logistics of the whole thing get in the way of good intentions.

As I say, I think it's a good idea, especially as a B-Day gift for Mr M, but for what it's worth my suggestion would be this: Everyone makes a photocopy of the cover of their fave Moorcock book, signs it, and posts it to a designated "editor". They then remove the (hopefully) exotic stamps from the envelope and attach them to the photocopy. The copies are then assembled in to a book, which can then be presented to Mr M.

I'm sure your "flabbers" are far from from "gasted", but the cheaper and easier you make things, the less fall out they'll be if our old friend Chaos starts playing silly buggers.

D...
      Oh, but you do sound a little disheartening, my friend.
      Well, we've been admonished about Royal Mail before, so I think we should take a risk ("Zakt" - please, do we include Scotland in this warning?) with the other countries' mail services and you, D, could ask a couple of your countrymen on leave in Paris or Majorca to post things for you, if you're so worried. And old friend Chaos will probably smile on the operation when he learns it is a book of MM, I'm sure.
      Let's see what the others say, too.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Hi LEtranger,
        I would be more than happy to receive the book, here in Canada, get it stamped (or whatever is decided on), and then send it off to another country. Count me in when/if you get this off the ground :)

Ken
        Ken Boorman
        Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Good! Thanks, Ken.
          I suggest we start once we have "four corners" (of the earth) in the game.
          You'll get the book first.
          Waiting for South America, Africa, Skandinavia, Oz and NZ ...
          No, anybody's welcome of course.

We'll let everybody stamp or stick some reference to the locality into the book, except plants or animal products over which customs could stumble.

Best,
          L'Etranger
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Ok I'll be in it, I live in Australia.

Comment

:D
              already "three corners" ...!

Thanks, Flutegirl!
              (Perth incidently?)
              Google ergo sum

Comment

I'd be more than happy to contribute! I'm in Ol' Blighty :)
                Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

So far it is
                  Munich -> Canada -> Oz -> Blighty

According to my Encarta world Map this is roughly 30,000 kms or 19,000 miles, depending on where in Canada and Australia ...
                  Not bad for a start. I'll start sending soon.
                  Ken, please mail me your surface address, and Flutegirl, please send yours to Ken, and Bob to Flutegirl and so on....

Japan, Argentina, Falklands (oops, Malvinas), Jibouti where art thou?
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

I'm all over this... that is if you consider Seattle, Washington a necessary "corner." :) So I guess I give my address to Bob?
                    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Seattle, let us embraze you!
                      Wonderful! Keep going ...
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Well, I'm not even going to attempt to help with the posting order as I'll just end up cross-eyed. I'll soon pass it on for the next signature without any problem!
                        Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Do you just want one person in each country to sign the book? I am in the uk, and would happily join in too. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Cypher
                            Do you just want one person in each country to sign the book? I am in the uk, and would happily join in too. :D
                            You know, there are enough of you guys in the UK that it seems possible that
                            you could stage a rendezvous at a pub and all sign it together. Of course,
                            that might entail a certain amount of rail travel, but it would have its
                            advantages, if it can be managed.

LSN

Comment

That sounds like great fun, and I would be up for it! It would be good to meet others from on here. I would be prepared to travel to any pub in the uk :D
                              I could take my digital camera to record the signing, and post the evidence. By the way, mine's a lager!

Comment

Working...
                              X