Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

off topic etiquette exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Allow me to remark on the use of "bombastic" (English)/"bombastisch" (in German) ...

There are a couple of words that are used in both languages, but have slightly different meanings. Just nuances really ... which can make a huge difference. As far as I understand modern day German, "bombastisch" can be an expression to say something's really impressive!
    It only has a negative meaning if used as "too bombastic".
    And I suppose the enthusiast from Austria merely wanted to show how very impressed by MM's writing he/she is.

Gesundheit!

L'Etranger

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Thanks Jericho. I'm not always as eloquent as I intend to be.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Harlequin
    Your intentions were clear to me,
    as I'm sure to most, if not all, readers
    on here. Although it is true that we probably
    wouldn't use the word "bombastic," it is clear
    that Shauku is praising Mr. Moorcock. It would
    have been helpful to offer up other adjectives.
    Like I would offer "mind-blowing."

Berry's intentions are to make Shauku feel
    comfortable on here, such that he will be compelled
    to post on here as he so desires without fear of
    being ridiculed.
    In my humble opinion, you are both right, and
    no one should take any offense.
    Let there be no misunderstandings. :)
    Shauku, please continue to post what you think.
    If you have any questions about the English language,
    we will be glad to help! :D

--Jer

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Re: congratulations from the new kingdoms

Originally posted by Hyperspace_Harlequin
    Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    The writer of the original post is from Austria. English is a second language. Perhaps you could be kinder in future posts to our friends who don't write perfect English. Thank you.
    Berry my intention was not to insult the poster but to question his use of the word 'bombastic'. The "pretentious or inflated speech or writing" is what the term refers to. Not the writer of the posts english. He explains english is his second language.I can read thank you.
    Do you think that Moorcock's mental fantasy is bombastic then Berry? Or where you insulted by my reference to H. P. Lovecraft? :roll:
    Do you think the member's choice of words would have been more to your liking if English was their primary language? Don't be a troll please.

Leave a comment:

• Hyperspace_Harlequin
    replied

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    The writer of the original post is from Austria. English is a second language. Perhaps you could be kinder in future posts to our friends who don't write perfect English. Thank you.
    Berry my intention was not to insult the poster but to question his use of the word 'bombastic'. The "pretentious or inflated speech or writing" is what the term refers to. Not the writer of the posts english. He explains english is his second language.I can read thank you.
    Do you think that Moorcock's mental fantasy is bombastic then Berry? Or where you insulted by my reference to H. P. Lovecraft? :roll:

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied

Originally posted by Hyperspace_Harlequin
    I also want to felicitate you to your bombastic

Bombast: pretentious or inflated speech or writing. Are you sure you want to use that word in connection with this author? He's not H.P. Lovecraft! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Hyperspace_Harlequin
    started a topic off topic etiquette exchange

off topic etiquette exchange

Originally posted by shauku endbringer
    Hello mr. Moorcock
    It's a great pleasure to me that i can write you this little topic.
    please forgive me my grammatical mistakes,great lord, but i'm from austria and my english is a little bit rusty.
    I now have completed reading the entire elric-saga and in this case i have a question to you. At the end of the book "stormbringer" elrics body wos murderd by his sword, and the manifestation that awakes in stormbringer, what in ariochs name happend to it?

If you read 'The Quest for Tanelorn' the last Hawkmoon book you will find out.

I also want to felicitate you to your bombastic

Bombast: pretentious or inflated speech or writing. Are you sure you want to use that word in connection with this author? He's not H.P. Lovecraft! :lol:

mental fantasy which is reflected in your storys. Espacially the arcades where you discribe the beauty and,at the same time, abstraction of the chaos.
    I hope you will write as much again, and let your readers escape a little from reality.
    In eternal loyality, great warrior of the cosmic balance, your enthusiastic reader shauku.
    Rock on guy
Working...
X