Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

MISSING CHUMS / Nostalgia Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeanWright
    replied
    Yes, as a middle man - father and my father's son - I do sympathise. My four year delights in telling my father all kinds of nuggets!! Sometimes I could just crawl under the nearest rock .. red faced and shaking my head in disbelief. From the mouths of babes ... as they say.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanWright
    And do tell: what's that nickname?
    No, no, no. I'm not saying. But there was a slip up when my friends from university came to my 21st birthday party and saw the cards my sisters had sent me. Two worlds that should never have met collided, and the nickname spread like wildfire.

In the end I had to nuke the planet from orbit. It's the only to be sure.

But that's another point, when you have to spend time with your friends and your parents, and you're caught between your role as a friend and your role as someone's child... desperately hoping neither group talks to the other too much, just in case something slips out!

D...

Leave a comment:

• SeanWright
    replied
    Oh, damn. There I go again. I've just put up that post as a guest. Sorry.
    Yes. Isn't it fascinating how certain people bring out certain characteristics in us? It's almost like a play. Roles seem defined. Reactions seem the same - even years after.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yes. Isn't it fascinating how certain people bring out certain characteristics in us? It's almost like a play. Roles seem defined. Reactions seem the same - even years after.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanWright
    ... my life had changed so much that I didn't recognise the 'old' me we were talking about. I wonder if he recognised the 'old' him? It didn't occur to ask. It was all very pleasant but ... odd.
    I think every now and then it's good to be reminded of how far you've come and how much you've changed... hopefully for the better. Too often it can feel as if nothing is happening, but then you bump into someone you haven't seen in a while and realize they have no idea who you are. Which can be good and bad, of course. I used to be a far more negative person than I am now, and my old friends always seem to bring that out in me again... and no matter how old I get, I'll probably always end up in the role of "little brother" when my sisters are in the house. They have a nickname for me, which is highly embarrassing and certainly won't be revealed here! :D

D...

Leave a comment:

• SeanWright
    replied
    I recently met up with a guy I went to school with. I hadn't seen him for twenty years. He's contacting all his old buddies. He's off to New Zealand to live. It was bizarre - no, surreal. All we talked about was stuff from 20 years before. Obvious, I guess, but ... my life had changed so much that I didn't recognise the 'old' me we were talking about. I wonder if he recognised the 'old' him? It didn't occur to ask. It was all very pleasant but ... odd.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Well, you could always try to find those people you DON'T miss, maybe that's less emotion-laden.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Re: MISSING CHUMS / Nostalgia Section

Originally posted by LEtranger
    Hi all, don't we all know a couple of people we regret to have lost touch with over the years?
    I feel a bit mean for saying this, but... er... no, not really. I mean, there are people I still care for, and I hope they're safe and well, but I don't really want to get to know them again. Too much water under the bridge, and such... also, I've always had a habit of annoying people without really meaning to, and I certainly don't want to confirm just how little I've changed in that department over the years.

I did sign up for FriendsReunited for a little while, and that was hideous. Peer pressure is bad enough when you're a kid, but reading about all of the classmates who have jobs and families now was just dispiriting.

Having said that, I was on a Media course at college with a guy named Will who tried to get me to read Dancers at the End of Time, but I didn't listen, and it tooks me years to finally get around to that book and the joys of Moorcock. So I should really apologize to him for being such a miserable git when I was in college. Sorry Will! You were right all along!!!

[Strangely I've edited the name of the college and Will's last name out of this post, because I really don't want to be tracked down by the ghosts from my past. Frankly I'm much more interested in my future]

Sorry to be a party pooper. I hope everyone else has some luck contacting their old buddies!

D...

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    started a topic MISSING CHUMS / Nostalgia Section

MISSING CHUMS / Nostalgia Section

Hi all,
    don't we all know a couple of people we regret to have lost touch with over the years?
    And can we really exclude that they might coincidently share similar interests - eg MM's books? And might not Providence take them here to our beloved hunting grounds, yet we're all hidden behind our avatars and noms-de-web so they can't possibly recognize us?
    Anyway, I am opening this thread as a bait to see if any old friends turn up.

Anybody here who was in Ethiopia in the 1960's? Looking for my schoolmates ... Key words "Sandford School, Addis Ababa, Casbon, Blue House" etc Oh, and do you guys enjoy Moorcock?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who hath desired the Sea? -- the immense and contemptuous surges?
    The shudder, the stumble, the swerve, as the star-stabbing bow-sprit emerges?
    The orderly clouds of the Trades, the ridged, roaring sapphire thereunder --
    Unheralded cliff-haunting flaws and the headsail's low-volleying thunder --
    His Sea in no wonder the same his Sea and the same through each wonder:
    His Sea as she rages or stills?
    So and no otherwise -- so and no otherwise -- hillmen desire their Hills.

RK (The Sea and the Hills)
Working...
X