Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

"Journalistic" jargon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Journalistic" jargon.

If I see the word "slammed" once more, I'll scream. Probably quietly, but still.
    As for the established trend for hyperbole in the media - man looses £100: "I'm devastated" - no you *bleep* aren't. Peeved yes, devastated no.

I'm aware that English changes and that ultimately this is good and heathy. But a lot of the time, it's just crass and lazy. Devasted may soon mean "a bit annoyed" and we already have a whole bunch of other words for that.

Arrrh! It's a Monday and I'm clearly irritable. Apologies for posting!

I'm with you. My peeve of the particular moment is "impact" as a verb. People using it that way are impacting my mood.

Comment

I also hear you Rothgo.
      Another one which gets me is the use of the word 'Iconic'.
      All you have to do is present a crappy game show for a few years and you can be dubbed 'Iconic' by the media.
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

"Diva", when applied to the (female) winner of Britain's Got Talent or American Idol. 'Diva' used to imply an established songtress prone to making unreasonable demands and generally acting above her station, i.e. Diana Ross, Shirley Bassey or (more recently) Jennifer Lopez, rather than someone's who's just won a popularity contest.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I read thingfish's mention of "iconic" and my mind read "ironic," which is used incorrectly more often than it is used correctly. Many people use the term to suggest that something is unfortunate or merely coincidental. Such misuse of the term is, of course, ironic.

Comment

And, while we are on the subject of celebrities, I would like to gripe loudly about the idea of a dress that the Oscar viewers don't like being referred to as "this tragedy from Christian Dior." (Fill in your own blank for designer). Tragedy is when your sword develops a mind of its own and kills your betrothed. Tragedy is NOT a dress.
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

On that note: I can't stand people referring to sport competitions as going to war. Going to war, is, well, going to war.

BTW, I am a sports fan.

Comment

Agh!!
                Me neither Doc,the most hideous being the English tabloids whenever they are playing Germany or the Scottish tabloids when we are playing England!
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

A man falls over and breaks his leg. "It was ironic" he states.

Bollocks. It was unfortunate.

It would be ironic if he fell over in front of a sign that said "Do not break your leg here."

And don't get me started on people saying it's "a propos" when they mean "appropriate".

"A propos" means "referring to".

And as for stupid Yanks who tell me Marmite is inedible...

Des
                  Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

'Organic' and 'extreme' are well overused.

And the phrase 'They don't want you to know' seems to be the new fad.

Cater to the paranoid market.
                    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Another one that gets banded about all too freely imo is 'Legend'!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Bloody "hero".

No word has been more abused and diluted.

A man is a habitual drunk who decides to give up booze after nearly killing himself in a drink-driving incident. He's been sober six months. What a "hero"!

An 8year old calls 911 (999 in the UK) when his mom collapses. What a "hero"!

UncleDes gets out of bed in the morning. What a "hero"!

You read this post to the end....you're my hero!

Des

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Cheers Des!!
                          Lets not forget probably the daddy of them all-Genius!!
                          The first time i can remember the misuse of this word was back in the early 80s watching darts on TV when the commentator called Jocky Wilson a 'superb athlete and Genius of the oche'.
                          Nuff said

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            Jocky Wilson a 'superb athlete and Genius of the oche'.
                            Nuff said
                            .....and not just a fat bastard who make money chucking darts around and drinking beer.

..."my bad".

Des

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Took the words out of my typing finger there Des!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X