Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Time Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Moorcock's Time Theory

I see that this topic has been abandoned for a long time, but the subject of Time is my favourite theme, one may say - almost an obsession of mine, so I'll post some thoughts here hoping that somebody may find them interesting and add some more.

I am particularly interested in that original theory of Time presented in the two short stories The Time Dweller and Escape from Evening by Michael Moorcock back in 1960s. I am not exactly sure how all this fits in the multiverse model from the other books. For instance according to this this theory time travel as conventionally conceived (i.e. as visiting other epochs either past or future) is not possible. But the people in those stories find a way to live in time in the manner we live in space. (Curiously a similar idea was proposed around a century ago by the Russian poet-futurist Velimir Khlebnikov). I am not aware of any farther development of this theme about the race of "Time Dwellers" (the people of Lanjis Liho) - only in the second book about Erekose they are mentioned by the way since its second part is set in the same universe (in the future dying Earth). But maybe I am wrong about this - have you come across some mentioning of them in other books?

I'll try to explain how I understand this Time Theory here and what I don't understand about it. I don't claim to have got it right - it's just my interpretation and I hope that somebody may correct my mistakes and also that if possible Mr. Moorcock would provide some illumination on this topic.

As it seems there are three "regions" (they are not called thus in the text, I just use this word for the lack of terms). The Future "region" consist of chaos and the so-called Megaflow. This is not the "future" as we understand it, but it's just in the "future direction" ("forward" or up the Megaflow) in regard to our material universe (a.k.a. the Present). I am not sure whether this chaos is the same as the Chaos in the multiverse model - just its description seems similar. The Megaflow seems to be a flux of infinite time energy consisting of time quanta - "chronons" - which feed up the material universe. If the Present is our familiar "time-with-space", the Future represents "time-without-space" (that is where - or rather when the Time Dwellers have gone). It is mentioned that the Megaflow has "offshots" or other time-streems that are "above" our time (maybe this relates to the other parallel universes of the multiverse model?). Then the third "region" is the Past which is just an empty space or nothingness (maybe a "space-without-time" as opposed to "time-without-space" of the Future?). It is what the material universe (or the Present "region") leaves behind while moving along the Megaflow - it seems the matter absorbs the time energy or the chronons which make it exist and sustain its being, but leaves nothing behind, only emptiness. In a way we may say that space as such is a wasted product of Time (the infinite energy of life) while the matter is what converts the one into the other.

Well, at least this is how I've understood it and I may be completely wrong, so I'll appreciate any comments on this topic.

Comment

I have no clue what time really is. I used to think I do, in practical terms, until I started reading Moorcock.
      As I still perceive things like ageing, withering and so on, there are obviously observations matching supporting the conventional concept of time. Yet who knows if we aren't all deceived. On the other hand what is the gain in deceiving us or ourselves. In whose interest is it?
      Currently, time seems to be what I'm always short of.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
        ...Currently, time seems to be what I'm always short of.
        Unless you're waiting for a bus in the rain.

Comment

Anyone have a comparison of average rainfall in Edinburgh and Munich at hand?
          "Twin" cities by the way, plus Kiev I think.
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
          X