Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick
    Patrick
    Denizen of Moo Uria
    Patrick
    Denizen of Moo Uria
    • Jun 2004

Illinois

I live in IL, so this is of particular interest to me.
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...09081rod1.html

I will admit that despite him being a Cubs fan, I never liked the guy, and I am not surprised. This is certainly not a partisan issue as our previous governor (a Republican) is currently in jail. However, the hubris of Rod is somewhat astounding.

Just wondering what people think.
  • Reinart der Fuchs
    Reinart der Fuchs
    Mr. The Fox
    Reinart der Fuchs
    Mr. The Fox
    • May 2006

I was just speaking with a co-worker on this. The audacity is hilarious!
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Patrick
      Patrick
      Denizen of Moo Uria
      Patrick
      Denizen of Moo Uria
      • Jun 2004

A lawyer friend of mine (who is a Democrat) actually worked with Rod many years ago at the same firm. He never found Blagojevic to be too terribly impressive. I'm listening to the news, and the more that comes out, the more ignorant he appears. He knew he was under investigation and he still was trying to sell the Senate seat?

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
        Kevin McCabe
        Citizen of Tanelorn
        Kevin McCabe
        Citizen of Tanelorn
        • Jun 2007

Well, it was Chicago after all. Still and all, only the Irish can properly practice Ward Politics. In the old days, a person this indiscreet would have never made the first cut, let alone wind up Governor. Seriously, though, this will be a real test for Obama.
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
          Reinart der Fuchs
          Mr. The Fox
          Reinart der Fuchs
          Mr. The Fox
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
          Well, it was Chicago after all. Still and all, only the Irish can properly practice Ward Politics. In the old days, a person this indiscreet would have never made the first cut, let alone wind up Governor. Seriously, though, this will be a real test for Obama.
          I am a little naive when it comes to things like these. Could you suggest how this is a test for Obama? Thank you!
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
            Kevin McCabe
            Citizen of Tanelorn
            Kevin McCabe
            Citizen of Tanelorn
            • Jun 2007

Well, my friend, Obama ran as an ethical politician who would not brook the old way of doing things, particularly patronage. Now this fellow, though presumed innocent, was a friend and ally of his. I don't think it will be enough for Obama to "distance himself," so to speak. I think he will have to take some affirmative steps and condemn this type of activity, specifically citing the case and name. Its a tough balance because he can't say the guy did it, but still has to firmly criticize the activity. It can be done, though. JFK did it as an elect with his "City on the Hill" speech (given in Massachusetts, naturally). There's no doubt Obama is smart enough and eloquent enough to pull it off. But, its a hard thing to kick a man you know when he's down, even when he has it coming.
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Patrick
              Patrick
              Denizen of Moo Uria
              Patrick
              Denizen of Moo Uria
              • Jun 2004

I am not sure that it is is true that Blagojevich and Obama were friends and allies. From what I am hearing, they did not like each other.

The issue will end up being whether the two had any discussions regarding patronage with filling the seat. I heard the first rumblings this morning that there might have been some discussion between the two camps, but nothing specific.

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
                Kevin McCabe
                Citizen of Tanelorn
                Kevin McCabe
                Citizen of Tanelorn
                • Jun 2007

Oh, I think they were probably pretty tight:

"And, it should be pointed out, Mr. Obama has a relationship with Mr. Blagojevich, having not only endorsed Blagojevich in 2002 and 2006, but having served as a top adviser to the Illinois governor in his first 2002 run for the state house.
                In the Democratic gubernatorial primary that year, then-state sen. Obama endorsed former Illinois Attorney General Roland Burris. But after Blagojevich won, Obama came around enthusiastically. At the same time, meanwhile, Axelrod had such serious concerns about whether Blagojevich was ready for governing he refused to work for his one-time client.

According to Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., Mr. Obama's incoming White House chief of staff, Emanuel, then-state senator Obama, a third Blagojevich aide, and Blagojevich's campaign co-chair, David Wilhelm, were the top strategists of Blagojevich's 2002 gubernatorial victory.

Emanuel told the New Yorker earlier this year that he and Obama "participated in a small group that met weekly when Rod was running for governor. We basically laid out the general election, Barack and I and these two."

Source = CBS

On the other hand, Obama did call for the guy's resignation today. I would have preferred something that deplored him, if the allegations are true, but indicated a willingness to await a jury's verdict (even if Blagojevich is a former prosecutor who never would have dreamed according that respect to the accused).
                Kevin McCabe

Comment

• J-Sun
                  J-Sun
                  Priest of Nadsokor
                  J-Sun
                  Priest of Nadsokor
                  • Dec 2007

I also live in Illinois, and can't say that I am at all surprised. Honestly, the last election we had was a joke. Talk about having to try to decide between TWO dirty crooks... it's no wonder the Green Party got such a huge vote.

Rod is a prodcut of the Daly machine. Chicago politics goes back to the times of Al Capone, and honestly not much has changed. Blagoyavich has claimed that he has done nothing wrong, and I think he could honestly pass a lie detector test on that. I bet he really sees notghing wrong. It's what his predecessor would have done, and what so many other Chicago politicians are world-reknown for.

I agree that this will be a bit of a challenge for Barack. He has proudly declared himself as a native of Chicago. I'm not saying that he is corrupt, but I agree that he really needs to speak out against this like he did against the dumb stuff reverend Wright said, or he will simply be guilty by association. Although I have to ask... it's his senate seat. Did he really not know that his own senate seat was up for auction? Either he was in on it or just plain clueless. I guess clueless is the better thing to be in this instance, but it stretches credulity, imho.
                  "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                  --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

• Patrick
                    Patrick
                    Denizen of Moo Uria
                    Patrick
                    Denizen of Moo Uria
                    • Jun 2004

I completely agree.

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                      Michael Moorcock
                      Site Host
                      Michael Moorcock
                      Site Host
                      • Dec 2003

I'm beginning to worry that Obama is going to be a fence sitter on too many issues. I suppose we only have a couple more weeks to wait.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Patrick
                        Patrick
                        Denizen of Moo Uria
                        Patrick
                        Denizen of Moo Uria
                        • Jun 2004

I didn't vote for him, but I have been generally pleased with what I have heard from him so far.

Comment

• J-Sun
                          J-Sun
                          Priest of Nadsokor
                          J-Sun
                          Priest of Nadsokor
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                          I didn't vote for him, but I have been generally pleased with what I have heard from him so far.
                          Surprisingly I find myself in the same position. I was afraid he was going to be so left-wing that he would eschew common sense to be crazy liberal, and I'm pleased to see that he has a lot more common sense than I gave him credit for. I didn't support him in the election, but no one will be happier than me, 4 years from now, to say that I was wrong and he was the right guy for the job. He seems to have a plan, and thus far he is inspiring confidence.

Fence sitter? As you say, Mike, the real test will come in the second half of the month. I pray you are wrong.
                          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                            Michael Moorcock
                            Site Host
                            Michael Moorcock
                            Site Host
                            • Dec 2003

Today's Radio Four programme on his background, especially the conservative Chicago law school, is very revealing and shows him as a pragmatist most of us can easily support in these times. I'd recommend listening to the programme, broadcast today, since I suspect it's reassuring to conservatives and liberals alike.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• buttertup
                              buttertup
                              buttertup
                              buttertup
                              buttertup
                              • Jun 2008

i don't know how folks in the other states are doing, but things in n.c. are lookin grim. i am not in a panic, but i have now become a keen observer of whats going on around here, no longer able to hide away in the holler. i think this is a big thing happening, perhaps bigger than the very best of leaders. so i have decided to pull my head of my arse and do what i need to do, and not to expect miracles from one mortal man. sheesh, i hope i don't sound too ignorant, i just wanted to have a say.

Comment

Working...
                              X