Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Shocking Choice by John McCain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lankar Shrae
    Lankar Shrae
    Citizen of Tanelorn
    Lankar Shrae
    Citizen of Tanelorn
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
    I don't think I've ever come across an occasion when the Vice Presidential candidate is actually more popular than the Presidential candidate, before.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...008.johnmccain

Usually, the VP is supposed to be there in a solid and dependable supporting roll, or as light relief.

I think its a case of making yourself more attractive by hanging out with ugly friends

Comment

• Livebrain
      Livebrain
      Denizen of Moo Uria
      Livebrain
      Denizen of Moo Uria
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
      How about "The poor rural southern/midwestern vote consistently supports a party that raised their income tax rates from two percent to ten percent"?
      ? And that is the only measure by which "interest" is measured? That "lower taxes" are de facto better is an assumption that is tenuous at best and not one I am willing to make. I have lived in the south for about 7 of the last 11 years, and there were few complaints until the election season; the amount of infrastructure growth and job creation in many of those areas was remarkably under-reported. Obviously there are areas that are struggling, but that is far more a matter of reallocation of industry than any specific Presidential policy.

Interesingly enough (for me anyway), that the only Democrat candidiate in recent memory that actually did improve the lot of those who supposedly "vote against interest" did so using a very middle of the road (some might even say "right leaning") economic policy. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen in the next four years. First it was the automakers looking for a piece of the "bailout" from Obama, now it is the Governor's Association (they meet today in Philadelphia), to the tune of another $200 BILLION.

Where's all this gonna come from?

Comment

• Talisant
        Talisant
        Champion of the Balance
        Talisant
        Champion of the Balance
        • Dec 2003

I'm from the deep south, still travel around it regularly, and have heard tax complaints consistantly from all sides as long as I can remember. If by infrastructure you mean strip malls and new "middle class" ghettoes of garden homes, well yeah, lots of those going up daily, but non-interstate roads & bridges are regular hazards, schools and hospitals in middle to low income areas are failing physically and financially monthly. Most the tax-incentived new industry jobs go to workers from other states or countries, not locals or native staters, and oil companies regularly spend huge sums to fight paying state royalites due from in-state and state off shore drilling, and yet most voters here still choose the "conservative" party (which gave them the S & L crisis and the current recession) that de facto throttles them, it's beyond me.
        Talisant
        Champion of the Balance
        Last edited by Talisant; 12-02-2008, 06:49 PM.
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

• Livebrain
          Livebrain
          Denizen of Moo Uria
          Livebrain
          Denizen of Moo Uria
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Talisant View Post
          I'm from the deep south, still travel around it regularly, and have heard tax complaints consistantly from all sides as long as I can remember. If by infrastructure you mean strip malls and new "middle class" ghettoes of garden homes, well yeah, lots of those going up daily, but non-interstate roads & bridges are regular hazards, schools and hospitals in middle to low income areas are failing physically and financially monthly. Most the tax-incentived new industry jobs go to workers from other states or countries, not locals or native staters, and oil companies regularly spend huge sums to fight paying state royalites due from in-state and state off shore drilling, and yet most voters here still choose the "conservative" party (which gave them the S & L crisis and the current recession) that de facto throttles them, it's beyond me.

Not questioning or doubting your experience (as I have seen some of what you have mentioned myself), but the point I was making was it isn't some absolute, black and white issue. I-85 is almost entirely brand new from the South Carolina border to Macon; in my old town, there were something like 6 schools, and 4 of them were less than 3 years old. Local allocation of funds (especially in Georgia, where Democrats are well represented in government) is hardly a fault of "choosing the Conservatives against interest".

Whatever; I just wonder what the excuse is going to be after four years of supposedly choosing "for interest".

Comment

• Talisant
            Talisant
            Champion of the Balance
            Talisant
            Champion of the Balance
            • Dec 2003

D'oh, too late, guess we'll have the P.O.G.s to kick around a little longer in Georgia with Chambliss' re-up.
            "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Working...
            X