Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Shocking Choice by John McCain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • opaloka
    opaloka
    digital serf 41221z/74
    opaloka
    digital serf 41221z/74
    • Jun 2006

Shocking Choice by John McCain

http://www.defendersactionfund.org/
  • Pietro_Mercurios
    Pietro_Mercurios
    Only Slightly Unbalanced
    Pietro_Mercurios
    Only Slightly Unbalanced
    • Oct 2004

When I saw the bit about, 'Shocking Choice,' I thought the Thread was referring to the fact that, apparently, Palin is both a Creationist and opposed to abortion, in all circumstances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...oy_events.html

Justin Webb's America: 'Events Dear Boy, events!'

BBC News Online. Justin Webb. 31st August 2008

As for Sarah Palin! Her creationist views are bound to become an issue (can you really have a president who denies basic truths about the world?). But far more politically explosive will be her views on abortion, apparently against it in ALL circumstances.

That's shocking enough for me.

Comment

• Prof. Faustaff
      Prof. Faustaff
      I knew I should have turned left at Albuquerque
      Prof. Faustaff
      • Feb 2007

Well, I guess it's a principle, isn't it? And at least she can claim to be consistent (absolute) in her approach on the subject rather than wishy-washy.

Of course, talk of principles and politicans reminds me of the words of St. Groucho of Marx, "Those of my principles. If you don't like them I have others."
      "They went into the house and were soon rolling about in bed together." - The Wrecks of Time, James Colvin, 1966

Comment

• dylerpillar
        dylerpillar
        Freelance Writing and Editing Unprofessional
        dylerpillar
        Freelance Writing and Editing Unprofessional
        • Aug 2008

It's too bad people who understand when compromise is reasonable often get stamped with the same wishy-washy mark as people who are the salt or the pepper depending on which seasoning they think voters want. I'm sure her absolute stand against abortions will look good to people who are also in absolute agreement, and it will also look absolutely intolerable to voters who absolutely disagree with her.
        Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• Groakes
          Groakes
          badseed
          Groakes
          badseed
          • Jan 2005

She seems like a "gimmick" choice to me - something to assuage the doubts of the Christian Right, Pro Gun, Pro No-Choice, Family Values, set. Because she is woman they can pretend to be progressive in a regressive Maggie Thatcher sort of way. Funnily enough, MCain is the least conservative conservative you could imagine actually running as a Republican. Where as Palin is up there with the most conservative conservatives - I can't really see them working well together as a team....

Just think, she could be a 72 years old's heart palpitation away from the Presidency....
          Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
          Bakunin

Comment

• David Mosley
            David Mosley
            Eternal Administrator
            David Mosley
            Eternal Administrator
            • Jul 2004

It's like Battlestar Galatica all over again.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• L'Etranger
              L'Etranger
              Veteran Moorcockista
              L'Etranger
              Veteran Moorcockista
              • Dec 2003

I feel when I read the comments in Europe that most people here think it is a terrible choice and completely gaga. Everybody here seems to want Obama even more full heartedly now. There trouble is that if it seeps through, you'll get even the last "patriotic" idiot (as opposed to true patriots) voting for McCain, because the bloody europeans oughtn't decide American matters. As if the Americans hadn't been deciding European matters for six decades... but it is gaga anyway to talk about serious politics if one fields such questionable candidates.
              Google ergo sum

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                Pietro_Mercurios
                Only Slightly Unbalanced
                Pietro_Mercurios
                Only Slightly Unbalanced
                • Oct 2004

I don't think I've ever come across an occasion when the Vice Presidential candidate is actually more popular than the Presidential candidate, before.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...008.johnmccain

Usually, the VP is supposed to be there in a solid and dependable supporting roll, or as light relief.

Comment

• Prof. Faustaff
                  Prof. Faustaff
                  Prof. Faustaff
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                  I don't think I've ever come across an occasion when the Vice Presidential candidate is actually more popular than the Presidential candidate, before.
                  I know it's a fake but I wouldn't be surprised if this 'photo' of Palin hasn't won McCain a few extra votes:

I mean, if the (next-but-one) CiC really did look like that wouldn't you want to stand up and salute?
                  "They went into the house and were soon rolling about in bed together." - The Wrecks of Time, James Colvin, 1966

Comment

• L'Etranger
                    L'Etranger
                    Veteran Moorcockista
                    L'Etranger
                    Veteran Moorcockista
                    • Dec 2003

Would I be forgiven if I ask myself: are those voters dumb?
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

• David Mosley
                      David Mosley
                      Eternal Administrator
                      David Mosley
                      Eternal Administrator
                      • Jul 2004

According to the BBC, whereas NuLabour needed 'Mondeo Man' to get power in 1997, in the US in 2008 it's the redneck vote, that is the key demographic the candidates need in order to win.

We all understand that there is a political class which dominates in America, and that Sarah Palin for damned sure is not one of them. And the more she is attacked by liberal Democratic elements (translation: elite highly-educated big city people) the more America's working mooks will come to her defence. Her daughter had a baby out of wedlock? Big deal. What family has not? She is a Christian fundamentalist who believes God spat on his beefy paws and made the world in seven days? So do at least 150 million other Americans. She snowmobiles and fishes and she is a looker to boot. She's a redneck.
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• opaloka
                        opaloka
                        digital serf 41221z/74
                        opaloka
                        digital serf 41221z/74
                        • Jun 2006

And they can be counted on to consistently vote agianst their interest.

Comment

• UncleDes
                          UncleDes
                          Got Moves like Jagged
                          UncleDes
                          Got Moves like Jagged
                          • Dec 2006

Can I be the first to say I actually find her physically unattractive? Rush Limbaugh in a fucking dress.

Des
                          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Livebrain
                            Livebrain
                            Denizen of Moo Uria
                            Livebrain
                            Denizen of Moo Uria
                            • Jan 2007

I know two things: one, this is after-the-fact and two, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but can I ask two questions?

How does "they don't feel the same way about issues I do" translate into "they're dumb"?

How does "they don't feel the same way about issues I do" translate into "they're voting against their interest"? I love that line re: voting liberal versus conservative in America. There is a reasonable argument that "voting for interest" in this context simply means "give me the easy way out".

Comment

• opaloka
                              opaloka
                              digital serf 41221z/74
                              opaloka
                              digital serf 41221z/74
                              • Jun 2006

How about "The poor rural southern/midwestern vote consistently supports a party that raised their income tax rates from two percent to ten percent"?

Comment

Working...
                              X