Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Don't Buy Gas Today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Buy Gas Today!

> > IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT

> > PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME,
    > > THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF

> > OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL
    > > COMPANIES.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR
    > > behind " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE
    > DROP
    > > OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS
    > > MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD
    > > OUT.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT
    > > AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING

> > COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON
    > > EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING
    > > MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE
    > > DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE
    > YOU
    > > KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS
    > > OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Comment

Today's planned "Gas-Out" is an idea no economist worth his weight in peanuts would endorse.

From Snopes:

"First of all, everyone's 'not purchasing a drop of gasoline for one day' will not cause oil companies to 'choke on their stockpiles.' Oil companies run their inventories on a weekly basis, and since the 'gas out' scheme doesn't call on people to buy less gasoline but simply to shift their date of purchase by one day, oil company stockpiles won't be affected at all.

"Next, merely shifting the day of purchase will not 'hit the entire industry with a net loss of over $4.6 billion.' Consumers won't be buying any less gasoline under this 'gas out' proposal; they'll simply be purchasing gas a day earlier or a day later than they usually would. The very same amount of gasoline will be sold either way, so the oil companies aren't going to lose any money at all.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/nogas.asp
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

But, if nobody visits the gas stations then the staff will start to get bored and end up eating all of the candy, and then they'll start to have sex behind the counter, and this will inevitably lead to a post-coital cigarette, and BOOOM!!! The whole place goes up. See? It all makes perfect sense.

D...
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

"But, if nobody visits the gas stations then the staff will start to get bored and end up eating all of the candy, and then they'll start to have sex behind the counter, and this will inevitably lead to a post-coital cigarette, and BOOOM!!! The whole place goes up. See? It all makes perfect sense."

Bill thinking: "I don't smoke, get bored easily, like candy, and like sex, be it behind, above, under or in front of the counter....there could be opportunity here..."

<SMACK> Bill returning to his version of reality.

Comment

Really sock it to them and buy a more economical car! Or travel by bus!
            Screw those goddamn bastards.

Comment

I don't get it, what's the sukhoi SU-7 diagram all about?

Is this a reference to the fact that you can pick up an Su-7 for less than an average SUV these days?

or are SU-Vs a commie plot?

"Yes Comrade, our SUkhoi Vehicles shall cripple their capitalist economies"
              \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

I already drive a POS that gets like 40-30 mpg, of course. Most days I don't care how the car I am driving looks or anything else about it really. A few months ago, someone dinged the rear end. I looked at the fresh new dent in the rear fender panel and for one moment I was angry because the person didn't leave a note or anything - took no responsibility! The next moment I looked again and thought to myself: "Oh hell, who gives a fuck? This car is a total piece of shit anyway! I don't even really care about this..."

Ah, the pleasures of letting that which does not matter truly slide...

Comment

"Ah, the pleasures of letting that which does not matter truly slide..."

Would that more people understood that concept.

Comment

Hybrids. Buy a hybrid.
                    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Hybrids

I'm still waiting for the super-tiny but sporty looking hybrids to come out. Fuck, if I were working at GM I'd already have made one. You know the kind... the really small two seater that looks like a midget Firebird. One of those with a really fast engine and hybrid tech... you'd never run out of gas! With my driving habits I'd probably only have to buy gas once a week!

Thanos

Comment

Funny you should say that Thanos - I once had an aquaintance who was something quite senior at GM (enough to be moved from the US and given a job title with the word 'Europe' in it) and had an argument with him about the Smart cars - http://www.thesmart.co.uk/ which aren't even coming to the US to 2006. 60 miles per gallon + low CO2 + lower tax.

He was telling me that the future of cars is big - i.e. SUVs - wheras I'd just come back from Hamburg where I'd been suprised by how many Smarts I'd seen; I'd been particularly impressed by the way on some places they would be parked sideways into parking spaces. It's a perfect answer to dense urban environments (i.e. typical European cities whose layouts are mostly pre-car).

(Of course you could make the same error imagining anyone would want one of these things out in the middle of the prairie).

Comment

Working...
                        X