Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tibet and the Flame of Repression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • white wolf's son
    white Wolf's Son
    • Oct 2006

Great, we'll get it arranged, maybe for next week!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• HaggisMeister
      My astral soul?
      • Aug 2006

I've been remiss of late for not keeping up with the thread

So thainks to both you WWS and TF for keeping matters very much alive

A Tibetan Night sounds like a wonderful idea WWS

The following terrible news came through recently
      http://www.tibetsociety.com/content/view/71/68/

The execution of Tibetans Lobsang Gyaltsen and Loyak last month.

Comment

• thingfish
        sairfecht
        • Sep 2007

They just dont let up HM
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Lucid Sirius
          Jester, ret.
          • Mar 2009

Very sad news about the executions. I am very tired of any government executing people. But the situation in Tibet is especially egregious.

There is an old saying from the Bodhicharyavatara that addresses the root cause of so much unhappiness in the world:

"Whatever joy there is in this world,
          All comes from wanting others to be happy.
          Whatever suffering there is in this world,
          All comes from wanting oneself to be happy."

And to add a traditional Tibetan blessing:

"May all sentient beings have happiness and the cause of happiness. May all sentient beings have peace and the cause of peace. And may all sentient beings be liberated!"

(And when Tibetans say such things, they include the Chinese! May I have the wisdom and compassion to do likewise even in the face of such terrible news.)

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
          - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

• thingfish
            sairfecht
            • Sep 2007

Ditto!
            Well put Lucius!
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• white wolf's son
              white Wolf's Son
              • Oct 2006

Latest I see is that the Chinese colonists are stating Tibet is like the Southern States in the American Civil War, they still contend it is part of China, apparently they are going to make this point to Obama when he visits Beijing. They are also sending six extra navy patrol vessels south to the Spratly Islands and surrounding area, obviously trying to stake their claim to the oil and mineral wealth there. Another sore point for them is the Tibetan monks enclave in India, they are claiming that is part of China. I don't think diplomacy will work with this lot.

Comment

• thingfish
                sairfecht
                • Sep 2007

Unfortunately your right WW!
                Its the sheer hard-neckedness of them that riles me.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• white wolf's son
                  white Wolf's Son
                  • Oct 2006

I see today Obama was ' stage managed ' throughout his tour by the Chinese Colonists. He would not agree to meeting the Dalai Lama prior to the tour for fear of offending the grey men in Beijing. Apart from that he has said he now recognizes that Tibet is part of the People's Republic of China. He wants to take a conciliatory tone rather than chest beating as that hasn't worked. Perhaps he forgets how conciliatory they were in 1989 with their own young people in Tiananmen Square. They'll be arriving to take over Dundee next as one of their forefathers probably owned a takeway in the main street so that should be part of China as well. I don't know how the Dalai Lama has the patience for them but if the rest of the world lets them away with stomping all over everyone else, obviously they're never going to back down.

Comment

• thingfish
                    sairfecht
                    • Sep 2007

I saw a news report on the BBC about his tour.
                    Looks like the Chinese have him in their pocket,you can tell who is wearing the trousers in that relationship.
                    By coming out and saying that Tibet is part of China makes him guilty by association.
                    They would last 5 minutes in Dundee WW,all their tanks would be either melted down or on bricks!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Vazkar Asquinol
                      Champion of the Balance
                      • Oct 2007

All I have to say about this is:

"Free Tibet" from communist chinese aggression.
                      "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• thingfish
                        sairfecht
                        • Sep 2007

That'll be the sound of the nail getting hit squarely on the head in six clear words VA!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Brian
                          has this to say:
                          • Jul 2009

Another Tibetan monk sets himself on fire in China (text reproduced below)

BEIJING (AP) — A Tibetan monk set himself on fire in western China and was beaten by security forces as they put out the flames, a rights group said, marking the latest in a series of dramatic protests against China's handling of its vast Tibetan areas.

Lobsang Gyatso, a 19-year-old monk from the Kirti monastery in Sichuan province's Aba prefecture, set himself ablaze on Aba's main street Monday afternoon, the London-based International Campaign for Tibet said.

Security forces beat Gyatso while extinguishing the flames, then took him away, the group said in an online statement posted late Monday. It was not immediately clear whether he survived.

Two Tibetans who tried to help Gyatso were severely beaten by police, ICT's statement said.

According to ICT, 20 Tibetan monks, nuns and laypeople have set themselves on fire in China over the past year, with at least 13 dying from their injuries. The self-immolations have occurred with increasing frequency in recent weeks, with most taking place in Sichuan's remote and mountainous Tibetan areas.

An official with the local Communist Party's propaganda department in Aba said he was unaware of the latest case. He referred media to China's official Xinhua News Agency or the Foreign Ministry for reports about self-immolations, saying that only they were authorized to release such news.

Like many Chinese bureaucrats, the official would give only his surname, Bai.

There was no immediate report from Xinhua confirming the case. A duty officer with the Foreign Ministry said she would look into it but had no immediate information to share.

Western reporters trying to visit that part of Sichuan have been turned away by security forces.

Activist groups say the self-immolations are a protest against China's policies and a call for the return of the Tibetans' spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, who fled from the Himalayan region to India amid an abortive uprising against Chinese rule in 1959.

The Chinese government has condemned the self-immolations and says an upsurge in violence in Tibetan areas, including some deadly clashes between Tibetan protesters and security forces, are being instigated by forces outside the country wanting to separate Tibet from China.
                          “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

• Lucid Sirius
                            Jester, ret.
                            • Mar 2009

Brian, thanks for bumping this thread up. Today's news brings the astonishing story of two more Tibetans who have self-immolated. Until now it had solely been monks and nuns but now it's laywomen, one a mother of four.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-17254051

The apparent response? More police, more surveillance, more repression.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                            - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

• Brian
                              has this to say:
                              • Jul 2009

Murder in Tibet's High Places

The article from Smithsonian.com can be viewed here.
                              “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

• Brian
                                has this to say:
                                • Jul 2009

Here are a few recent links that are relevant to the topic:

Death by self-immolation reported in Tibet

Tibetan men in 'first self-immolations in Lhasa'

Comment

Working...
                                X