Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tibet and the Flame of Repression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HaggisMeister
    My astral soul?
    • Aug 2006

Thanks to you both WWS and TF for the input (by the way steady on the Malt there WWS!), nothing wrong with the old Highland temper flaring at injustice whatever the source. In fact this wee thread has become a bit of a Scotch corner.

The Petitions and writing to politicians has to be part of the lobbying process but I have to say it is easy to feel like the whole system is futile in the face of a extraordinary super-power state. However, it's purpose is to keep the wrongs on the agenda, and in some small way the ripples of protest might make that government think twice before it commits even worse acts of excess?

What is worrying about actions taken against Tibetan and Chinese voices who speak out against the tragedies which continue is that they are seemingly without mercy, without compassion. To silence is the aim of all states whose legitimacy is questionable.

This just in from Reporters sans Frontiers.

And here via the Tibetan Post about missing author Tashi Rabten.
    Last edited by HaggisMeister; 08-07-2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• thingfish
      sairfecht
      • Sep 2007

Cheers for the links HM!
      Another 5 writers put away,the just keep getting away with the repression.
      Its the censorship and the fact that you have to dig deep to find out about this stuff that really boils my bag!!
      Nothing wrong with a wee bit of Highland rage WWS,i dont blame ye.
      And theres certainly nothing wrong with Glenmorangie!!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• white wolf's son
        white Wolf's Son
        • Oct 2006

Thanks as well for the links, HM, I see Tashi Rabten is in prison in Sichuan. Hope the protest movements grow, after what they did to their own people in Tiananmen the Chinese obviously don't care about others. The destruction of a culture is inhuman.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Lucid Sirius
          Jester, ret.
          • Mar 2009

Thanks to everyone for the links and good thoughts. It is a subject worth getting into a decent dander about, I think. Sure, most major countries are guilty of Empire at some point or another, but if WWII taught us anything it's that as a people we need to really stop pretending "some" are better than "others" and all that sort of thing.

I know many Tibetans and I know many Chinese and none seems to be very happy with the government in Bejing. That's a hopeful thing.

--LS

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
          - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

• white wolf's son
            white Wolf's Son
            • Oct 2006

Just saw on the news they have now arrested another ' Rights activist ' . Nice people ( NOT )

Comment

• thingfish
              sairfecht
              • Sep 2007

Yeah,i saw that too!
              They wont be happy until every Tibetan is rounded up at this rate!!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• HaggisMeister
                My astral soul?
                • Aug 2006

Thanks to Lucid Sirius, WWS, and TF for keeping this real issue alive through this thread.
                I just received a link to one of the Trafalgar Plinthers, this a different live 'statue' for every hour of everyday during the exhibition. Here is someone using it to get the message out about detained prisonmaker Dhondup Wangchen who has been incacerated since 2008
                Find out more here at the Plinth
                http://www.oneandother.co.uk/participants/Tibet_Society

And here again at Reporters Sans Frontières
                http://www.rsf.org/spip.php?page=article&id_article=33443

It is important not to forget the Chinese people who became prisoners before and during the illustrious Olympics; silenced for just for expressing opinion or fighting injustice, the reactions in reply by the state is Orwellian...
                http://www.rsf.org/en-petition34043-...prisoners.html

Comment

• white wolf's son
                  white Wolf's Son
                  • Oct 2006

See on the news one of the Trafalgar Plinthers has been ordered to cover up as he stripped naked, although it was never mentioned they were trying to draw attention to Tibet.

Comment

• thingfish
                    sairfecht
                    • Sep 2007

I never knew about those Chinese folks who were locked up for speaking out about the olympics.
                    Unbelievable sentences they got handed down,i thought they would have been put away for the duration of the games but those sentences are bang out of order!!
                    Cheers for the links HM

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• HaggisMeister
                      My astral soul?
                      • Aug 2006

WWS - You are right their seemed plenty of reports about the naked plinther and sod all about the Tibet plinther's display; just goes to show Blighty's continued obssession with the naked body

TF - Yes and perhaps you might remember reading this case...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/21/sp...21protest.html

Barbarism!

Comment

• thingfish
                        sairfecht
                        • Sep 2007

Barbarism indeed!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• white wolf's son
                          white Wolf's Son
                          • Oct 2006

I know we haven't done much on this thread for a while however I saw an article on the news last night. Apparently Gordon Brown arranged to meet the Dalai Llama last year but would not meet him in 10 Downing Street in case it angered the Chinese He's only the spiritual leader of an occupied and oppressed country, who gives a damn what the Chinese think? Brown should have had a total media hype to show the Chinese what we think but maybe the government were too busy claiming their expenses. Sometimes I despair about Britain.

Comment

• thingfish
                            sairfecht
                            • Sep 2007

Yeah i remember that one WW.
                            Shameful!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• white wolf's son
                              white Wolf's Son
                              • Oct 2006

We should maybe have a Tibetan night at the Inn, that would really be something. Seriously, if the Chinese are watching us on this site, we'll never get a Chinese visa......I'm really worried.....NOT!!!!!

Comment

• thingfish
                                sairfecht
                                • Sep 2007

Good idea WW!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X