Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tibet and the Flame of Repression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin McCabe
    Citizen of Tanelorn
    • Jun 2007

Yeah, its all good. I haven't even turned on the TV. What a contrast from, say, Barcelona. Now there was an opening ceremony (and, by the looks of things, a beautiful City). Serves the bastards right if nobody watches their charade. Yer lovely mime obviously has them beat hands down, L'etranger.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• HaggisMeister
      My astral soul?
      • Aug 2006

I know this thread started off life as a reaction to the springtime repression in Tibet, the Summer Olympics and the charade of the torch relay but I feel it more than important than ever to keep the essence of the thread alive....to picture the horror of what is going on one needs only to turn to the UN Torture Committee's damning report on China

http://www.freetibet.org/newsmedia/u...record-torture

Comment

• thingfish
        sairfecht
        • Sep 2007

Agree HM.
        That report is frightening,well done for keeping the flame burning.
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• HaggisMeister
          My astral soul?
          • Aug 2006

Thanks TF

I think now the Olympics is over much of the focus on China has been diverted but this is just the time when the situation needs to remain on every progressive agenda.

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
            Citizen of Tanelorn
            • Jun 2007

Right you are, HM. Its easy to lose sight of the ugliness when the lights are off. IIRC, that was precisely Churchill's point in coining the phrase "Iron Curtain."
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• HaggisMeister
              My astral soul?
              • Aug 2006

Indeed Kevin, it is so easy to forget places like Tibet, Burma and Darfur when the mainstream news flits between credit crunch and the latest red carpet event!
              In fact the only Chinese puppet state that is getting deserved exposure at the moment is of course Zimbabwe and its ever worsening horrors.

Comment

• Lucid Sirius
                Jester, ret.
                • Mar 2009

I'll risk bumping this thread up with a story about one Tibetan as it all seems worthy of continued thought.

The story is of an old Tibetan monk, now in his 80's, who can often be seen when the Dalai Lama is giving public teachings. Usually he's up front on the main stage in a place of honor near the Dalai Lama. When the Dalai Lama taught in San Francisco in 2007 some thoughtful person had the bright idea to talk to this old monk and find out who he was. His story is profound. He was held in Chinese prisons for over 20 years, enduring sometimes daily torture, and was only released in 2004 on "health" grounds. He was asked what his biggest, scariest, most terrible fear was in all those many years of imprisonment. His sincere answer?

"I was most afraid that I would lose compassion for the Chinese."

If that is not a statement of profound strength, boundless compassion and almost unimaginable nobility of spirit I don't know what is.

Cordially,
                Luce

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

• HaggisMeister
                  My astral soul?
                  • Aug 2006

Such important mentions are most welcome on this particular thread, I thank you very much Lucid

Incidentally for those in the UK and near a participating venue the Tibet Film Festival 2009 is underway

See the attached link for details

http://www.throughanexilelens.org/

Comment

• thingfish
                    sairfecht
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Lucid Sirius View Post
                    I'll risk bumping this thread up with a story about one Tibetan as it all seems worthy of continued thought.

The story is of an old Tibetan monk, now in his 80's, who can often be seen when the Dalai Lama is giving public teachings. Usually he's up front on the main stage in a place of honor near the Dalai Lama. When the Dalai Lama taught in San Francisco in 2007 some thoughtful person had the bright idea to talk to this old monk and find out who he was. His story is profound. He was held in Chinese prisons for over 20 years, enduring sometimes daily torture, and was only released in 2004 on "health" grounds. He was asked what his biggest, scariest, most terrible fear was in all those many years of imprisonment. His sincere answer?

"I was most afraid that I would lose compassion for the Chinese."

If that is not a statement of profound strength, boundless compassion and almost unimaginable nobility of spirit I don't know what is.

Cordially,
                    Luce
                    I couldnt agree more,that is the kind of person every human being should be aspiring to.
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• HaggisMeister
                      My astral soul?
                      • Aug 2006

It's been a while since I posted anything on this particular thread but this is an interesting article on the resettlement policies aimed at Tibetan nomadic peoples, prepared by the Free Tibet campaign as linked here

Comment

• thingfish
                        sairfecht
                        • Sep 2007

Good article there HM!
                        Cheers for that.
                        Once again the first word that comes to mind is WHY!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• HaggisMeister
                          My astral soul?
                          • Aug 2006

Thanks TF

It is important to keep the theme alive for this has to be about justice and human rights. It would appear that there is land and mineral grab on all the while a culture being systematically dismantled to achieve, dare I say it, assimilation. It is I might suggest simply colonialism by any other name, although the Chinese state has rewritten history to add merit to its claims of Tibet being forever within their territory.

Incidentally, I was privileged last May to have attended a presentation in The Barbican by the makers of the BBC/BFI programme 'The Lost World of Tibet'. Dan Cruickshank the narrator of the documentary was also there and gave an insight to the whole issue of Tibetan rights to self-determination.
                          If you haven't seen this collection of colour footage of a somewhat medieval Tibet during the 30s and 40s then I'd recommend tracking down the DVD as a rental or wait for an often repeated on BBC Four screening.

Comment

• white wolf's son
                            white Wolf's Son
                            • Oct 2006

Haggismeister, I just signed the petition. Don't know how much help it will be, the Chinese, as you say, seem bent on colonising the place, they have even started to move into places like Tonga in the Pacific and all over Africa. I don't think they have ever any intention of a free Tibet, they want to transform it into another Chinese province. I have the Dalai Llamas' book, the Art of Happiness, amazing, how a man can remain full of compassion in the face of such cruelty is beyond me. Anyway, I hope the petition does have some effect, the Olympics should NEVER have been given to that country.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• thingfish
                              sairfecht
                              • Sep 2007

I agree WWS that they shouldnt have been given the games but i do think that the petition,if not having the effect of penetrating the Chinese leaderships conscience,can be a source of education about the problem at least to the people made aware of it by the petition by making these folks want to find out more about it.
                              I also agree with your colonialism point HM,and,of course the need to keep the flame burning on this subject.
                              I will be keeping an eye out for that documentary too,sounds interesting.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• white wolf's son
                                white Wolf's Son
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                                I agree WWS that they shouldnt have been given the games but i do think that the petition,if not having the effect of penetrating the Chinese leaderships conscience,can be a source of education about the problem at least to the people made aware of it by the petition by making these folks want to find out more about it.
                                I also agree with your colonialism point HM,and,of course the need to keep the flame burning on this subject.
                                I will be keeping an eye out for that documentary too,sounds interesting.
                                You're right TF, the petition might well have some effect, just the Highland temper getting the better of me!!! If it draws attention to what they are doing then all the better, the point about them spreading their influence was underscored when they ( along with Russia ) vetoed the UN resolution on the thug Mugabe when they were well aware of the state Zimbabwe is in while his wife was in Hong Kong in a £2,000 per night suite in the Kowloon Shangri-La. Sickening. Oops, there goes the Highland temper again!!! Time for Glenmorangie!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X