Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tibet and the Flame of Repression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tibet and the Flame of Repression

A friend of mine recently alerted me to the following petition, and in view of the recent farce of the Olympic Torch passing through London, Paris in particular I feel it worthy to make mention of my friend's recommmended website here;

I trust that the activism thread is the most appropriate corner to flag it up?

The Avaaz website contains the petition to sign and urge China to end the violent repression in Tibet. (According to Avaaz, "the petition has already been delivered at Chinese embassies and consulates, and will continue to grow online, and be delivered, until talks begin, the more people sign, the more powerful the message will be");

http://www.avaaz.org/en/tibet_end_the_violence/

Thanks

Signed, sealed, and delivered, HM. The Big Fellow has been here in the Jet City for the last few days.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Top notch Kevin, thanks

Comment

I'll let you know how/if this is being reported in China when I visit next month:

"Happy people, eager to celebrate the renewal of life in spring are gloriously putting out the flame and allowing it to be reborn as the Olympic torch visits many cities around the globe."

"In other news, Tibetan citizens are dancing under the traditional wooden batons of Chinese Happiness Enforcement Brigades, as Tibet celebrates another Spring time under the joyous protection of the Chinese Government."

Des
        Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Yes, that will be very interesting Des to have that insight next month; as for your great "quotes" - they hark back to the heady days of the Great Cultural Revolution and offers of instant denouncements and mass rehabilitation, take the Great Leap Forwards...............

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but Billy Bragg just recorded a great new live version of Waiting for the Great Leap Forward. Love the bit about the traditional dancing Des. I wonder how many protests there will be in China proper over the situation in Tibet. My guess would be zero. Domestically, they have managed to turn this into a Nationalistic cause. They're big on nationalism these days, calls for aircraft carriers and so on. Reminds me of the good old days when The Chairman could organize spontaneous demonstrations months in advance and throughout the country. Of course, the focus on nationalism would seem to be at odds with international Marxism, but that was nothing Uncle Joe couldn't overcome.
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Agree with your thoughts on this one guys.
              I have mixed feelings about the whole China/Olympic thing.
              On one hand im mighty hacked off with the IOC for awarding the games to these despots,on the other im glad that at long last this country is being put in the limelight for all to see.
              Just a pity that they have to be given something like the olympic games before people will start focussing on them.
              I personally refused to go with the GB flower-arranging team on ethical grounds
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Good post TF

My problem with the Olympics is all the nonsense spouted by the torch bearer celebs and athletes declaring that the Olympics are nothing to do with politics....what a fiction. You only have to see all the nationalistic fervour that goes with the Olympic bandwagon and the politicians who can't wait to cash in. Problem for China, and this is not a reflection on the Chinese people but the regime, like any regime, promised a lot in terms of human rights when they were courting the IOC to get the games, and now look. There is also the Chinese support for military junta in Burma, the continuing horror in Darfur.

And what does the IOC do, they go and give the 2012 games to another despot regime
                Last edited by HaggisMeister; 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM. Reason: my grammar! (sorry)

Comment

Hmmm. The Darfur thing really pisses me off no end. And, a suit against SLORC, Totale, and Unocal for atrocities against the Karen was my first job in law (student assistant), so China pisses me off there as well. It's a good job that the Winter games are in a mellow country. They're only about a five hour drive from me.
                  Kevin McCabe

Comment

Yeah i forgot about their involvement in the Darfur fiasco.I hear they are quite heavily involved in other African countries as well.
                    Hell mend them!!
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Just realized I never did report back on the Chinese view of the Tibetan uprisings: what with the Sichuan earthquake (now over 68,000 confirmed dead and rising), it was not heavily on my mind.

The one report I did see was of a woman complaining about the "Evil Dalai Lama trying to divide our country." Meanwhile, the Stooge-Lama ("Curly" Panchen Lama) was in Beijing for a Buddhist service for the souls of the dead in Sichuan.

Des
                      Last edited by UncleDes; 06-01-2008, 07:15 AM. Reason: Speling as yousual
                      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Thanks for the mini report back Uncle

Both China and Burma have suffered horrendous civilian loss due to the recent terrible natural disasters, in Burma's case it would appear the devastation has been exacerbated the regime's insular structures.

Back on topic;

Regarding the Dalai Lama and the UK trip after much anticipation of the visit I was surprised the news was not further up the media agenda, in fact the mainstream coverage was quite muted.

Comment

It may be too late but I have signed this as well!

This is something that really really needs to be taken seriously.
                          "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Its never too late Vazkar.
                            As long as this situation stays the way it is we should keep shouting our opposition

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

As TF rightly says it is never too late Vazkar - thanks for signing. The pressure needs to be maintained more than ever

Comment

Working...
                              X