Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Democracy for the US!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democracy for the US!

I think I'm beginning to understand the meaning of the word "grotesque"... means something you laugh at and cry at simultaneously, right?

The fact that some outlaw soldiers of the US army tortured and humiliated some Iraquis in one of Saddam's old torture places is what it is... some baffling irony in that, but bad sports will appear everywhere.

What made me laugh and cry at the same time, really, is that the Pentagon seems to have called up all the media, trying to convince them that it's best to keep the story secret to keep up patriotism. So... we in the West are the ones trying to make a Quatar TV station look bad because they edit their news? (Choking on my lamb cutlet)

Even CBS took two weeks to get their shit together. Could somebody please get back to President Mugabe of Zimbabwe who so generously offered to send observers to the 2000 US election... they may be needed now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in614905.shtml
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Don't forget the irony that we're supposedly in Iraq to secure assure freedom for the Iraqi people--like freedom of the press.

The pentagon was asking the media to suspend the public's right to freedom of the press, so they will support our fight for freedom elsewhere. :?: :?

It would seem laughable if it wasn't happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
      ... we're supposedly in Iraq to secure assure freedom for the Iraqi people--like freedom of the press... It would seem laughable if it wasn't happening.
      Happening? What do you mean? This can't be real, it must be something from Dr. Who about Davros and the Daleks...

Comment

Grotesque? Ironic? How about this one...

That would be John Negroponte - newly nominated U.S. ambassador to Iraq. "Negroponte, looking somewhat sinister with a touch of glee, stands with Guernica in the background and a Fox microphone in the foreground."
        (http://atrios.blogspot.com/2004_04_1...51438092329166)

Oh what can I say? Do a little search for Iran-Contra with the term "Negroponte."

But hey, even my jaded blood has run freezer cold with those photos from our kids in Iraq, Jagged.

We're all just animals that wear clothing, didn't you know?

Comment

Originally posted by krunky
          Grotesque? Ironic? How about this one...

We're all just animals that wear clothing, didn't you know?
          My cranky Krunky,

indeed... an amazing venture into the grotesque, indeed! I sometimes wish reality wouldn't furnish me with quite so many exemplary lessons.

My point, by the way, wasn't really about the crimes themselves (be they atrocious enough), but about US authorities trying to withhold them from the public, at the same time as justifying the Iraq war by wanting to bring Western blessings... such as freedom of information... to the Middle-East.

We may be all animals in clothing... but I would like to remind you that mine is very CHOICE and canary-yellow clothing, with a high and starched collar!

Comment

Working...
          X