Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Call for an End of Executions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 29 in Iran last weekend.
    And Thomas Arthur next Thursday if nothing happens.
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Execution postponed!

Phew! -> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/us...us&oref=slogin
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Four more in Japan! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7857437.stm
        Disgusting!
        Google ergo sum

Comment

Dusgusting indeed L'E.
          I had no idea the Japanese were stepping up their execution count
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

At least 94 people have been executed in Iran in 2009

My sad body count, this thread. But I feel I have to shout out my anger somewhere.
            Last week they hanged a young woman, now 9 prisoners in Iran.
            Google ergo sum

Comment

I've said before and repeat. I believe the death penalty should only be on the table for Ministers of parliament shown to be grossly negligent/corupt, Judges shown to be corupt, and maaaaaybe high ranking police who are shown to be corupt.

Comment

Another guy about to leave Death Row on Wednesday the sad way: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14991755
                State of Georgia seems to give a f*** for the appeals even of important people to stop the execution in face of grave doubts.
                Sick. Sickening.
                Google ergo sum

Comment

Thanks for resurrecting the thread! I think this is going to be a really important issue in the next US presidential election, starting with the Republican primaries. Perry is proud of killing so many people, even when confronted with evidence of people being put to death for crimes that later evidence showed other people committed.

Comment

I don't think the state has any business putting people to death. That being said, if they're going to do it then it must be as faultless a system as is possible to prevent "mistakes." In the US, our system is so faulty it is frightening.

And yes, Doc, the elections should provide for much interest on this issue, especially as it will be taking Perry's Texas concept to the national level. That concept being that the best governor is always the one that executes the most criminals. When Anne Richards ran against Clayton Williams, they both got to bragging often about how many they'd send to the electric chair that the press began to call the whole election "The Great Texas Fry-off."

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                    - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid Sirius View Post
                      I don't think the state has any business putting people to death. That being said, if they're going to do it then it must be as faultless a system as is possible to prevent "mistakes." In the US, our system is so faulty it is frightening.

And yes, Doc, the elections should provide for much interest on this issue, especially as it will be taking Perry's Texas concept to the national level. That concept being that the best governor is always the one that executes the most criminals. When Anne Richards ran against Clayton Williams, they both got to bragging often about how many they'd send to the electric chair that the press began to call the whole election "The Great Texas Fry-off."

And what is happening in Georgia should terrify all of us. Mistakes happen.

One of the many reasons that Perry scares me is that he seems to take his responsibilities with the death penalty pretty lightly. He's managed to separate himself from the "death" part, and has managed to build a persona on the "penalty" part. Like others, of course. It is odd think about the great Anne Richards as part of that discussion, too. Violence from the state is no better than violence from the public.

And now I'm off my soapbox...

Comment

From L. Pitts.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/n...0,850806.story

Comment

And The Guardian lists ten compelling reasons why this particular execution should not proceed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...vis-10-reasons

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                            As an acquaintance of mine put it many years ago, "What's wrong with these people? Why're they all so "old testament" about this stuff? Haven't they heard of compassion? Of change? Of growing beyond the need to see blood spilled?"

I'd like to think the US will return, hopefully soon, to outlawing capital punishment. But right now there is a significant group of people that seems to think this bloodsport should continue.

Totally awful when death becomes loud, eerily lusty politics instead of the most solemn thing a state can be involved in.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                              Thanks for resurrecting the thread! I think this is going to be a really important issue in the next US presidential election, starting with the Republican primaries. Perry is proud of killing so many people, even when confronted with evidence of people being put to death for crimes that later evidence showed other people committed.
                              How terribly christian of Perry. ing hypocrites.
                              Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Like most folks in these parts, I'm against killing folks you don't need to.

That said, I can appreciate the POV to kill somebody who rapes a 4 year old: as much as I disagree with execution, I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about opposing it in such a case. There are no black and whites after all.

But in any case where there is significant doubt, the death penalty simply can't be an option. Claiming courts never make mistakes, that a guilty verdict means there is no doubt is no better than "I was just following orders". We all have to make our own choices when it comes to the significant choices we're asked to make in our lives, and taking somebody else's certainly has to count in that set.

Comment

Working...
                                X