Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Call for an End of Executions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmm hard to tell L"etranger.
    Pretty unsettling stuff but owing to the fact that it quite finely details the botched execution attempts this may be on the side of abolishment.
    One thing for sure is that you would have to be made of stern stuff to be around when all this is going on.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I probably shouldn't chuck my two cents into the forum, but that has never stoped me before, so here goes.

I actualy suport the death penalty, in two very specific cases (and one of them has recently been brought to the fore in Oztralia)

I think that politicians (specificaly ministers) who are found guilty of gross negligence / inompetence in an area where they should resonably have been informed and involved desearve the death penalty (Think the chinese minister for pharmacuticles who was executed of the fake/poisened drugs a year or two back)
      The other catagory is cops (high ranking only) who are found to be involved in criminal activity specificaly related to their brief. I.E. Vice squad cops found to be involved in in importation of drugs.

These aren't realy based on reason, just apopleptic rage at the bastards who use the "I wasn't at that meeting, didn't get the memo" line, and at the gobsmaking duplicity of those entrusted with enforcing the law who break those same laws themselves

Comment

Nah,i think killing is too quick,the bds should be made to suffer for as long as possible
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

As a youngster, a right-wing conservative, I was 100% pro-capital punishment. That came from a belief in the infallibility of the court system, that right always prevailed, and the naiveté of youth. I felt that anyone facing execution in our fair system could not possibly deserve it more.

With age, I have discovered that our court system frequently fouls up, possibly as much as 20% of the time. I have found that right does not always prevail - that in fact it is more often than not trampled upon roughshod. I suppose what I am saying is that with the dissipation of my naive outlook, I have gradually become more of a pacifist and a liberal - not an extreme one, but a moderate one.

When you take someone's life through clerical means, it is best to make damned sure you're right, since when erring to this extreme, it brings all of us down a notch each and every time it happens.

I'm against capital punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilgamesh View Post
            As a youngster, a right-wing conservative, I was 100% pro-capital punishment. That came from a belief in the infallibility of the court system, that right always prevailed, and the naiveté of youth. I felt that anyone facing execution in our fair system could not possibly deserve it more.

With age, I have discovered that our court system frequently fouls up, possibly as much as 20% of the time. I have found that right does not always prevail - that in fact it is more often than not trampled upon roughshod. I suppose what I am saying is that with the dissipation of my naive outlook, I have gradually become more of a pacifist and a liberal - not an extreme one, but a moderate one.

When you take someone's life through clerical means, it is best to make damned sure you're right, since when erring to this extreme, it brings all of us down a notch each and every time it happens.

I'm against capital punishment.
            I am on the fence here. In cases such as Jeffrey Dahmer I feel that execution would have been justified. There was no question about his guilt or how horrendous his crimes were. Why should my tax money go to keep that sicko in jail with '3 hots and a cot' for the rest of his natural life?

That said, I do agree with Gil that if you are going to perfom capital punishment then you had best be 100% sure and therein lies the problem inherent in the system.
            "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Here's a thought and a solution for all of you who say, "We can't lock them up for life. It's not cost effective. It's preferable to get rid of them nice and tidy. Plus, they don't serve any purpose other than to sponge off the rest of us."

Once they are found guilty of crimes worthy of execution, lock them up. But don't execute them. Lock them up in pens like animals in zoos, open to public viewing most of the day. Have large copper plaques inscribed with the hideous details of their crimes posted beside the bars of their cells. And then do exactly as this setup requires. Conduct guided tours for school children on fieldtrips. Have civic groups parade through to see the animals in their cages. Keep them humiliatingly on public display every single day of their lives, with absolutely zero privacy. This mercy is no mercy. And this mercy serves a purpose.

Killing is wrong, but deserved public humiliation isn't.

Comment

Pretty sure that that actually would go against certain human rights conventions... but I do understand the sentiment

Comment

In other words, bring back the stocks.

Or the pillory:
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                    In other words, bring back the stocks.
                    For lesser offences, just bring back socks. Social embarassment is a powerful thing...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Rothgo; 07-22-2008, 02:38 AM. Reason: Image URL didn't work, so upload it is

Comment

What ever happened to hard labor?
                      "The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is. If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so." - don Juan

Comment

Originally posted by SERPNTA1267 View Post
                        What ever happened to hard labor?
                        Tony Blair and Gordon Brown and all the sycophantic ws who have fawned over them for the last 10 years

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Okay guys, here now is a name and a face and a date.
                          Thomas Arthur is schedulexd for execution on July 31.
                          http://www.thomasarthurfightforlife.com/

Innocent or not isn't the question for me: I am firmly against executions.
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

There is but one true judge........

Comment

Does attributing our morality to a sense of piety result in true morality?

Comment

I dont think so G.
                                I think this can lead to misplaced morality,sometimes blind arrogance.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X