Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Call for an End of Executions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thingfish
    replied
    Dusgusting indeed L'E.
    I had no idea the Japanese were stepping up their execution count

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Four more in Japan! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7857437.stm
    Disgusting!

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Execution postponed!

Phew! -> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/us...us&oref=slogin

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Another 29 in Iran last weekend.
    And Thomas Arthur next Thursday if nothing happens.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    I dont think so G.
    I think this can lead to misplaced morality,sometimes blind arrogance.

Leave a comment:

• Gilgamesh
    replied
    Does attributing our morality to a sense of piety result in true morality?

Leave a comment:

• Lankar Shrae
    replied
    There is but one true judge........

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Okay guys, here now is a name and a face and a date.
    Thomas Arthur is schedulexd for execution on July 31.
    http://www.thomasarthurfightforlife.com/

Innocent or not isn't the question for me: I am firmly against executions.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    Originally posted by SERPNTA1267 View Post
    What ever happened to hard labor?
    Tony Blair and Gordon Brown and all the sycophantic ws who have fawned over them for the last 10 years

Leave a comment:

• SERPNTA1267
    replied
    What ever happened to hard labor?

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    In other words, bring back the stocks.
    For lesser offences, just bring back socks. Social embarassment is a powerful thing...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rothgo; 07-22-2008, 01:38 AM. Reason: Image URL didn't work, so upload it is

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    In other words, bring back the stocks.

Or the pillory:

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied
    Pretty sure that that actually would go against certain human rights conventions... but I do understand the sentiment

Leave a comment:

• Gilgamesh
    replied
    Here's a thought and a solution for all of you who say, "We can't lock them up for life. It's not cost effective. It's preferable to get rid of them nice and tidy. Plus, they don't serve any purpose other than to sponge off the rest of us."

Once they are found guilty of crimes worthy of execution, lock them up. But don't execute them. Lock them up in pens like animals in zoos, open to public viewing most of the day. Have large copper plaques inscribed with the hideous details of their crimes posted beside the bars of their cells. And then do exactly as this setup requires. Conduct guided tours for school children on fieldtrips. Have civic groups parade through to see the animals in their cages. Keep them humiliatingly on public display every single day of their lives, with absolutely zero privacy. This mercy is no mercy. And this mercy serves a purpose.

Killing is wrong, but deserved public humiliation isn't.

Leave a comment:

• Vazkar Asquinol
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    As a youngster, a right-wing conservative, I was 100% pro-capital punishment. That came from a belief in the infallibility of the court system, that right always prevailed, and the naiveté of youth. I felt that anyone facing execution in our fair system could not possibly deserve it more.

With age, I have discovered that our court system frequently fouls up, possibly as much as 20% of the time. I have found that right does not always prevail - that in fact it is more often than not trampled upon roughshod. I suppose what I am saying is that with the dissipation of my naive outlook, I have gradually become more of a pacifist and a liberal - not an extreme one, but a moderate one.

When you take someone's life through clerical means, it is best to make damned sure you're right, since when erring to this extreme, it brings all of us down a notch each and every time it happens.

I'm against capital punishment.
    I am on the fence here. In cases such as Jeffrey Dahmer I feel that execution would have been justified. There was no question about his guilt or how horrendous his crimes were. Why should my tax money go to keep that sicko in jail with '3 hots and a cot' for the rest of his natural life?

That said, I do agree with Gil that if you are going to perfom capital punishment then you had best be 100% sure and therein lies the problem inherent in the system.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X