Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Would you ever vote Independent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you ever vote Independent?

Would you vote for an inexperienced Independent candidate for US President if he/she seemed to genuinely want to improve the US? Please post reasons why below.

Thanos

Yes

I voted yes. In my eyes the only thing required for me to vote someone into office is a strong will, basic understanding of the position and, most importantly, the desire to make this country a better place for all. It doesn't matter if they were Senator of their state for years. Anyone with a High School education has passed a basic Government course and has at least minimal understanding of the President's role.

Hell, say an issue comes up that the person knows nothing about. All he or she would have to do is a little research (and perhaps talk to other knowledgeable people about their opinions). Anyone with a brain can do that. And let’s face it, the President should do that anyway, regardless of how much he/she might think they know about the issue. They should still double check, see what people think, etc. Listen to the opinion polls for Christ’s sake! You’re not President for your sake, you’re President for our’s.

Thanos

Comment

I vote maybe, Thanos. I would support a candidate like that, but it raises a conundrum. Let's not argue whether the system is good or bad; we can all agree it is there, and we will assume it is bad for now (conservative approach). One who has the experience of elected office is either going to be a slave to the system or will have the information to "beat" the system, or at least "play" the system. Basically, a 50-50 shot as to whether you will get your vote's worth (assuming you don't want a slave to the system). The true outsider will either not know how to work the system (in which case he will get played by the system and those within the system) or he will (in which case he will either be a slave to the system or have the iformation to "play" the system). Basically a 25-75 shot that you will get your vote's worth.

In other words, the inexperienced outsider probably has a better chance of a bad outcome, given the system as it is.

Comment

I, too, vote Maybe. The issue is too complicated to unquestioningly vote Yes. I genuinely want to imporve the country, but you'd have to be a complete fool to vote for me. :lol:

The current "0" next to "No" is interesting...
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I would if the candidate seemed knowledgable, sincere, and if I agreed with him/her on certain issues.
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I'll abstain, since I don't have the right to vote in the US anyway. I'll just remind you all of Tom Lehrer who supported McGovern back in the early 70'es, performing in his support as an end to this extremely witty entertainer's public performances. Lehrer withdrew from the public scene, claiming that things with the Vietnam war etc had got too serious to make fun of (as opposed to light matters such as the atomic bomb). I suppose Amerca is stuck forever with it's hopeless two-party system.
            "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Bill - I guess it depends on how the outsider completes his cabinet - I think if they had a cabinet of outsiders, they'd be stuffed, but if you were to bring in enough 'players' you might stand a chance. Equally, an independent could still be an 'insider' without being a party member - the most famous UK independent is probably the BBC political journalist Martin Bell, who gave up his job to stand as an independent to oust a famously corrupt MP. He was certainly more of a parliamentary insider than a lot of young MPs.

What would be interesting to see would be how Congress/Parliament would react to an independent leader. The major parties have often demonstrated their willingness to block bills that their own manifestoes support, just to score points against the other side. Would the policies of an independent be judged independently, or would they be shot from both sides?

Comment

Working...
              X