Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Television and why I've got rid of it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danskmacabre
    replied
    Originally posted by michaelk View Post
    Ha ha! Another victory for the 'Not on your Nelly, Aunty!' massive!
    I bet it didn't take long to get those channels retuned, eh?
    Actually, I haven't watched Tv for ages so I didn't tune them back.
    Even if I wanted to I wouldn't, as I reckon they send around the TV detector vans from time to time

Sounds like this bloke was programmed only to respond to 'I was just about to pop out and renew my licence.' or 'I haven't got a telly but if you don't mind, could you come back later to check as I've got to get my granny out of the bath first'.
    I suspect so, he didn't actually come in at all, he was probably scared or just too shocked to respond hehe.

If the BBC spent more time upgrading the chips in their licence-droids and less time on getting ties for their weather presenters, the world would probably be in a much better state.
    Erm...or something.
    I don't necessarily object to a TV license, there's just not much on TV I want to see these days.
    It would have been nice to keep TV channels such as Freeview and opt out of the BBC though.
    It seems pretty unfair you have to pay the license even if you don't watch the BBC but would want to watch TV.
    Whatever the case I'm not fussed either way anymore.

Leave a comment:

• johneffay
    replied
    michaelk,
    Any chance that you can put the quotes you respond to at the top of your posts? It makes it easier to immediately understand your point.

Many thanks

Leave a comment:

• michaelk
    replied
    Yes..and if we'd had proper broadband in the first place as per the original cable specs for a technology that would give equal bandwidth to upload and download, then we'd have had every house with their own TV station by now.

I was expecting a whole lot of creativity to be coming of an upload revolution by now but as it is instead of the re-edited news broadcasts we should be broadcasting, we're still looking for the episode of (your suggestion here) where the furry blimp escapes after shagging the numpty nuns.

Erm...or something.

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs View Post
    Don't worry too much DCS. You'll be able to download that television show for free off the Interwebs for free if you are so inclined.

Leave a comment:

• michaelk
    replied
    Ha ha! Another victory for the 'Not on your Nelly, Aunty!' massive!
    I bet it didn't take long to get those channels retuned, eh?

Sounds like this bloke was programmed only to respond to 'I was just about to pop out and renew my licence.' or 'I haven't got a telly but if you don't mind, could you come back later to check as I've got to get my granny out of the bath first'.

If the BBC spent more time upgrading the chips in their licence-droids and less time on getting ties for their weather presenters, the world would probably be in a much better state.

Erm...or something.

Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
    Oh yeah, after repeated phone calls to tell them (TV licensing) to stop sending me threatening letters (Demanding TV license payment) and me demanding them to send around and inspect my premises so they could take me of the list, they DID finally send someone around.

A few weeks ago the inspector knocked on my door and said " I'm sure you're unhapppy to know I'm the TV licensing inspector"

He was shocked to hear I was very pleased and told him that we have a TV, but it is detuned, as well as the Channel receiver on the VCR and whilst there WAS a satellite dish on the outside wall, there was no Satellite box in the house.
    Plus I said I DID have a computer, but no TV card.

At that point I invited him in to confirm that, but he said "don't bother" and he took me off his list.

Since then I have not received any more letters.

Leave a comment:

• Reinart der Fuchs
    replied
    Don't worry too much DCS. You'll be able to download that television show for free off the Interwebs for free if you are so inclined.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Of course, this "digital switchover" will be kicking off sometime, and I'm not sure I can be bothered switching with it. So TV might be getting rid of me, rather than the other way around! Once again, technology is leaving me behind...

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    Oh yeah, after repeated phone calls to tell them (TV licensing) to stop sending me threatening letters (Demanding TV license payment) and me demanding them to send around and inspect my premises so they could take me of the list, they DID finally send someone around.

A few weeks ago the inspector knocked on my door and said " I'm sure you're unhapppy to know I'm the TV licensing inspector"

He was shocked to hear I was very pleased and told him that we have a TV, but it is detuned, as well as the Channel receiver on the VCR and whilst there WAS a satellite dish on the outside wall, there was no Satellite box in the house.
    Plus I said I DID have a computer, but no TV card.

At that point I invited him in to confirm that, but he said "don't bother" and he took me off his list.

Since then I have not received any more letters.
    Last edited by danskmacabre; 07-31-2007, 05:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    I would prefer a "pay as you go" option as well.
    I would then pay for Doctor who and a couple of other things.
    but I can live without it as well if there was no option.

Leave a comment:

• michaelk
    replied
    What would be really good and fair would be a 'BBC Pay As You Go' option with all their shows downloadable for a fee but NO licence fee.
    This would be the acid test. What will you pay for?

My other idea is a Licence Fee payable to a channel for the term equal to the term of a government (eg. three, four or five years?) and decided by an electoral process.
    So if the Beeb is, as it claims, the channel that the majority of us think is good value, then let's see the votes that confirm this. I actually think this would sharpen up everybody who would compete for it.

Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
    The BBC is is currently working on a "BBC on demand program".
    Meaning those who pay their license can download all the BBC content and watch whenever they want.

Leave a comment:

• michaelk
    replied
    Dispatches is still pretty unmissable as is anything in their long-running 'Cutting Edge' strand and, yeah, Channel 4 News is the ONLY news to watch (the Beeb's news output seems fixated on working in promos for an upcoming Eastenders or inviting spurious punditry from it's star employees who, presumably have to agree to appear in any context when called upon)

I love the interaction between C4 and More 4 but in terms of C4 alone, I guess spinning off what used to be it's content onto channels like More 4, E4 and Film 4 has been to its detriment although at the same time they've not stopped with innovating new formats no matter whether they're to your or my taste (eg. Deal of No Deal, Friday Night Project, T4, The Album Chart Show, Bo Selecta/Bo in the USA, Big Brother, Fonejacker, etc etc) and have still been miles to the fore of anything Beeb when it comes to attention-grabbing recent documentaries and dramas like 'Diana: Death in the Tunnel', 'Death of a President', 'The Great Global Warming Swindle', 'The Great British Black Invasion', 'The Great Nazi Cash Swindle', 'The Great Relativity Show' etc etc.
    The Simpsons, The Daily Show, Desperate Housewives also keep us tuned.

I was just remarking last week how I'd watched my first ITV programme in over a year. Likewise, I have missed everything that the BBC has had to offer like Jonathan Ross Ubiquitous, BBC Staff Dancing, Dr Who, Dr Who and Dr Who (anagram version). Although, to be fair, I will be watching BBC2 on wednesday nights from now on as they've just grabbed 'Heroes' which was, I thought, made for Channel 4.

Other than that, Question Time and Newsnight are the only things that come off the top of my head. Certainly anytime I'm tempted to watch the Six O'Clock's 'safe and smiley' version of current affairs, it precipitates weeks of not touching the buttons marked 1 or 2. As for BBC 3, is anything ever on that? BBC Four is fine if you missed a documentary on Punk or Hippies over a decade ago but overall I'd put C4 and, as you say, C5 on top of my most-watched. I've travelled a lot and watched a lot of foreign TV and BBC World but have never seen anything carrying the intelligent cultural vibe of C4.

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    I'm sorry, but imho C4 is resolutely crap these days when compared to the sort of material it was broadcasting in the 1980s and 1990s. I genuinely don't see anything in its schedules that holds a candle to the BBC's output, with the sole possible exception of Channel 4 News. It's entirely possible of course that I'm no longer in the demographic that C4 seems to be trying to service these days. On the other hand, Five has much more content that I'm likely to want to watch.
    Last edited by michaelk; 07-28-2007, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• michaelk
    replied
    No..that's from Avid Merrion's 'Bo' In The USA', the follow-up series to his long-running 'Bo Selecta' series. Very funny all the same.
    The Harry Hill clip I can't fins anywhere. As I recall, it was mainly a reworking of 'Lost' title sequence with the words 'Lost Interest' and it came just spot on at the right time when everybody was starting to get beyond exasperation with the ever-protracted plot.
    Last edited by michaelk; 07-28-2007, 10:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Talisant
    replied
    There's no way that Lost's terrestrial viewing figures could ever have recovered from that Harry Hill skecth 'Lost Interest'. (I wish I could find that on youtube)
    Not familiar with Harry Hill, but is this the video clip?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91263839522272

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Meanwhile, Channel 4 has tangibly served its public-service remit and prospered commerically against all odds while retaining all the kinds of flagship current affairs and drama outpur that Aunty constantly tells us would be threatened is SHE were made to earn an honest crust. C4 has consistently been what the Beeb CLAIMS to be and much more besides.
    I'm sorry, but imho C4 is resolutely crap these days when compared to the sort of material it was broadcasting in the 1980s and 1990s. I genuinely don't see anything in its schedules that holds a candle to the BBC's output, with the sole possible exception of Channel 4 News. It's entirely possible of course that I'm no longer in the demographic that C4 seems to be trying to service these days. On the other hand, Five has much more content that I'm likely to want to watch.

Leave a comment:

• michaelk
    replied
    There's no way that Lost's terrestrial viewing figures could ever have recovered from that Harry Hill skecth 'Lost Interest'. (I wish I could find that on youtube)
    I've lost count of how many people I know decided that he'd summed up the situation with series 2 fairly and squarely.
    I think C4 had to do the old 'stick your bid in a brown envelope and hope for the best' during the bidding but, in fairness to your aggrievedness, putting £70 in there showed their heart wasn't in it.

Has anything happened in Lost yet?

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer View Post
    I shall despise Channel4 (as an entity) until my dying day... not only did they let Sky take the show Lost from them, but they then accepted advertising revenue from Sky to show adverts taunting viewers and flaunting the fact that the new season was beyond their reach! That's just plain mean.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    I shall despise Channel4 (as an entity) until my dying day... not only did they let Sky take the show Lost from them, but they then accepted advertising revenue from Sky to show adverts taunting viewers and flaunting the fact that the new season was beyond their reach! That's just plain mean.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X