Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Television and why I've got rid of it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danskmacabre
    Defender of the Runestaff
    • Sep 2006

Thanks for the info

Seems they're still working out how this is gonna work, so I'll just sit tight until things become clearer.

I hope they develop a Linux compatible program (which is unlikely I bet), assuming they will use a program to manage downloads, maybe they will just have a website you register on, check you have paid your license etc and then you can just download away.

Comment

• danskmacabre
      • Sep 2006

For those who are still interested.
      It's been several months seince we got rid of our TV and it's changed our lifestyle somewhat.

We are more likely to do stuff together as a family, such as games or going our for a walk or bike ride (apart from when the weather is nasty, which seems to be a lot lately).

I do spend more time on the Pc or my DS playing games and we have a 2 Nintendo DSs in the house now and quite often play multiplayer games together , which is great fun.
      Actually we're probably gonna buy another DS (that'll make it 3) , as it's a great toy for multiplayer.

I think the biggest change is we have lots more time.

We do watch movies from time to time, usually borrowed DVDs and stuff like that.

I don't see us going back to TV as things are and even though the BBC beta of the on demand downloadable content is live, I can't really be bothered, as I assume I'd need to pay the TV license to use it anyway (you have to register).

So that's it really, the transition from TV to no TV was pretty painless.

Comment

• michaelk
        Wanderer of the Mittel March
        • May 2007

I've never owned a TV licence but find that my TV works fine without one. Mind you I've never owned a TV.
        I'm a serial tenant who has become accustomed to landlords trying to shift their TV licence fee onto me.
        I always tell them. 'You can remove the TV, I don't want it'. If they do, that's fine but they rarely do. Thenceforth, as I did not 'install the receiver' it will be up to someone to prove that I've used one to watch TV and since that'll be a rare event AND because the tech of the detector van is a frightener's fiction to this day, I have binned all TV licence letters upon sight for 20 years now to no adverse effect.
        As for the search-warrant terror, there are no documented cases of a TV search-warrant being served on an unanswered door. (Or as Ringo put it, 'I haven't got a doorbell. It stops them ringing it.')

As to the BBC's old 'quality and diversity' chestnut, I find its output to be uniformly 'chattering class not even middle-class', 'english not british' and 'london not even england' and since I'm not chattering or middle class, neither english or, arguably, british (holding an Irish passport) don't see why the hell I should be forced to support (under penalty of imprisonment) a service which collects from all but services itself and it's narrow target audience (the BBC's model audience seems to be it's own staff to the extent of the unctuous 'Points of View' and 'Newswatch' shows which are the televisual equivalent of the 'Reader's Letters' in the first issue of a magazine).

Meanwhile, Channel 4 has tangibly served its public-service remit and prospered commerically against all odds while retaining all the kinds of flagship current affairs and drama outpur that Aunty constantly tells us would be threatened is SHE were made to earn an honest crust. C4 has consistently been what the Beeb CLAIMS to be and much more besides. If anything, the BBC has gradually evolved to emulate Channel 4's commercial/innovatory mix but done so in a way which has smokescreened their perennial 'jobs-for-the-oxbridge-useless' remit with an all-new 'haircuts-r-us' yoof directive and, more recently, a 'reality copycat' channelisation where the 'uniquely-funded' 'innovation' they drabble on and on about, is now limited to changing the postcode of contestants, builders and estate-agents from boob-job Essex to dental-implants Islington, in keeping with the historical fan-base. In the meantime, it's 'unique-funding' is best described as 'enjoying all the benefits of a commercial corporate with the brucey bonus tax breaks of a registered charity'.

I only hope to live long enough to see the self-serving Beeb elite pay for their own fu*king drinks! :)

Nurse! My restraints have loosened! (/rant)

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
        The unique way the BBC is funded means that it is able to concentrate programme making (and commissioning - 25% of its output is supposed to be made independently iirc) rather than raising revenue. Commerical arms of the BBC such as BBC Worldwide help generate additional revenues by exploiting BBC IPs in secondary markets such as DVDs, magazines, and overseas sales. Revenues generated from these exploits are pumped back into the BBC's programme-making arm. Again, you can argue that the viewer may end up paying twice for its programming - once through the licence fee and once through any DVD purchases.

Frankly, when I watch such programmes as Spooks, Waking the Dead, Rome (a co-production with HBO), Top Gear, Doctor Who, or listen to radio programmes like Today, In Our Time, Beyond Belief, or browse websites like BBC News I feel I'm getting extraordinary value for my licence fee.
        Last edited by michaelk; 07-27-2007, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
          Eternal Champion
          • Feb 2004

I shall despise Channel4 (as an entity) until my dying day... not only did they let Sky take the show Lost from them, but they then accepted advertising revenue from Sky to show adverts taunting viewers and flaunting the fact that the new season was beyond their reach! That's just plain mean.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

• michaelk
            • May 2007

There's no way that Lost's terrestrial viewing figures could ever have recovered from that Harry Hill skecth 'Lost Interest'. (I wish I could find that on youtube)
            I've lost count of how many people I know decided that he'd summed up the situation with series 2 fairly and squarely.
            I think C4 had to do the old 'stick your bid in a brown envelope and hope for the best' during the bidding but, in fairness to your aggrievedness, putting £70 in there showed their heart wasn't in it.

Has anything happened in Lost yet?

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer View Post
            I shall despise Channel4 (as an entity) until my dying day... not only did they let Sky take the show Lost from them, but they then accepted advertising revenue from Sky to show adverts taunting viewers and flaunting the fact that the new season was beyond their reach! That's just plain mean.

Comment

• David Mosley
              Eternal Administrator
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by michaelk View Post
              Meanwhile, Channel 4 has tangibly served its public-service remit and prospered commerically against all odds while retaining all the kinds of flagship current affairs and drama outpur that Aunty constantly tells us would be threatened is SHE were made to earn an honest crust. C4 has consistently been what the Beeb CLAIMS to be and much more besides.
              I'm sorry, but imho C4 is resolutely crap these days when compared to the sort of material it was broadcasting in the 1980s and 1990s. I genuinely don't see anything in its schedules that holds a candle to the BBC's output, with the sole possible exception of Channel 4 News. It's entirely possible of course that I'm no longer in the demographic that C4 seems to be trying to service these days. On the other hand, Five has much more content that I'm likely to want to watch.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Talisant
                Champion of the Balance
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by michaelk View Post
                There's no way that Lost's terrestrial viewing figures could ever have recovered from that Harry Hill skecth 'Lost Interest'. (I wish I could find that on youtube)
                Not familiar with Harry Hill, but is this the video clip?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91263839522272
                "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

• michaelk
                  • May 2007

No..that's from Avid Merrion's 'Bo' In The USA', the follow-up series to his long-running 'Bo Selecta' series. Very funny all the same.
                  The Harry Hill clip I can't fins anywhere. As I recall, it was mainly a reworking of 'Lost' title sequence with the words 'Lost Interest' and it came just spot on at the right time when everybody was starting to get beyond exasperation with the ever-protracted plot.
                  Last edited by michaelk; 07-28-2007, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• michaelk
                    • May 2007

Dispatches is still pretty unmissable as is anything in their long-running 'Cutting Edge' strand and, yeah, Channel 4 News is the ONLY news to watch (the Beeb's news output seems fixated on working in promos for an upcoming Eastenders or inviting spurious punditry from it's star employees who, presumably have to agree to appear in any context when called upon)

I love the interaction between C4 and More 4 but in terms of C4 alone, I guess spinning off what used to be it's content onto channels like More 4, E4 and Film 4 has been to its detriment although at the same time they've not stopped with innovating new formats no matter whether they're to your or my taste (eg. Deal of No Deal, Friday Night Project, T4, The Album Chart Show, Bo Selecta/Bo in the USA, Big Brother, Fonejacker, etc etc) and have still been miles to the fore of anything Beeb when it comes to attention-grabbing recent documentaries and dramas like 'Diana: Death in the Tunnel', 'Death of a President', 'The Great Global Warming Swindle', 'The Great British Black Invasion', 'The Great Nazi Cash Swindle', 'The Great Relativity Show' etc etc.
                    The Simpsons, The Daily Show, Desperate Housewives also keep us tuned.

I was just remarking last week how I'd watched my first ITV programme in over a year. Likewise, I have missed everything that the BBC has had to offer like Jonathan Ross Ubiquitous, BBC Staff Dancing, Dr Who, Dr Who and Dr Who (anagram version). Although, to be fair, I will be watching BBC2 on wednesday nights from now on as they've just grabbed 'Heroes' which was, I thought, made for Channel 4.

Other than that, Question Time and Newsnight are the only things that come off the top of my head. Certainly anytime I'm tempted to watch the Six O'Clock's 'safe and smiley' version of current affairs, it precipitates weeks of not touching the buttons marked 1 or 2. As for BBC 3, is anything ever on that? BBC Four is fine if you missed a documentary on Punk or Hippies over a decade ago but overall I'd put C4 and, as you say, C5 on top of my most-watched. I've travelled a lot and watched a lot of foreign TV and BBC World but have never seen anything carrying the intelligent cultural vibe of C4.

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                    I'm sorry, but imho C4 is resolutely crap these days when compared to the sort of material it was broadcasting in the 1980s and 1990s. I genuinely don't see anything in its schedules that holds a candle to the BBC's output, with the sole possible exception of Channel 4 News. It's entirely possible of course that I'm no longer in the demographic that C4 seems to be trying to service these days. On the other hand, Five has much more content that I'm likely to want to watch.
                    Last edited by michaelk; 07-28-2007, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• michaelk
                      • May 2007

What would be really good and fair would be a 'BBC Pay As You Go' option with all their shows downloadable for a fee but NO licence fee.
                      This would be the acid test. What will you pay for?

My other idea is a Licence Fee payable to a channel for the term equal to the term of a government (eg. three, four or five years?) and decided by an electoral process.
                      So if the Beeb is, as it claims, the channel that the majority of us think is good value, then let's see the votes that confirm this. I actually think this would sharpen up everybody who would compete for it.

Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
                      The BBC is is currently working on a "BBC on demand program".
                      Meaning those who pay their license can download all the BBC content and watch whenever they want.

Comment

• danskmacabre
                        • Sep 2006

I would prefer a "pay as you go" option as well.
                        I would then pay for Doctor who and a couple of other things.
                        but I can live without it as well if there was no option.

Comment

• danskmacabre
                          • Sep 2006

Oh yeah, after repeated phone calls to tell them (TV licensing) to stop sending me threatening letters (Demanding TV license payment) and me demanding them to send around and inspect my premises so they could take me of the list, they DID finally send someone around.

A few weeks ago the inspector knocked on my door and said " I'm sure you're unhapppy to know I'm the TV licensing inspector"

He was shocked to hear I was very pleased and told him that we have a TV, but it is detuned, as well as the Channel receiver on the VCR and whilst there WAS a satellite dish on the outside wall, there was no Satellite box in the house.
                          Plus I said I DID have a computer, but no TV card.

At that point I invited him in to confirm that, but he said "don't bother" and he took me off his list.

Since then I have not received any more letters.
                          Last edited by danskmacabre; 07-31-2007, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
                            Eternal Champion
                            • Feb 2004

Of course, this "digital switchover" will be kicking off sometime, and I'm not sure I can be bothered switching with it. So TV might be getting rid of me, rather than the other way around! Once again, technology is leaving me behind...

"That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
                              Mr. The Fox
                              • May 2006

Don't worry too much DCS. You'll be able to download that television show for free off the Interwebs for free if you are so inclined.
                              Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• michaelk
                                • May 2007

Ha ha! Another victory for the 'Not on your Nelly, Aunty!' massive!
                                I bet it didn't take long to get those channels retuned, eh?

Sounds like this bloke was programmed only to respond to 'I was just about to pop out and renew my licence.' or 'I haven't got a telly but if you don't mind, could you come back later to check as I've got to get my granny out of the bath first'.

If the BBC spent more time upgrading the chips in their licence-droids and less time on getting ties for their weather presenters, the world would probably be in a much better state.

Erm...or something.

Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
                                Oh yeah, after repeated phone calls to tell them (TV licensing) to stop sending me threatening letters (Demanding TV license payment) and me demanding them to send around and inspect my premises so they could take me of the list, they DID finally send someone around.

A few weeks ago the inspector knocked on my door and said " I'm sure you're unhapppy to know I'm the TV licensing inspector"

He was shocked to hear I was very pleased and told him that we have a TV, but it is detuned, as well as the Channel receiver on the VCR and whilst there WAS a satellite dish on the outside wall, there was no Satellite box in the house.
                                Plus I said I DID have a computer, but no TV card.

At that point I invited him in to confirm that, but he said "don't bother" and he took me off his list.

Since then I have not received any more letters.

Comment

Working...
                                X