Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Turkish-Armenian Journalist shot dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkish-Armenian Journalist shot dead

Award-winning journalist Hrant Dink who dared mention stains in Turkish history was murdered today. The bastards!
    Thin layer of civilisation, really, if people just can't take criticism: absurd, sick, f**king Nationalism!
    BBC NY Times
    Google ergo sum

That' s a shame !

patriotism and love of mother land, yes !

misplaced nationalism and chauvinism ! no !

Comment

I've been working on a theory that to truly love something you have to acknowledge its flaws, and come to terms with them. Otherwise you're loving a false ideal... a fantasy. Therefore, in theory, the "true patriot" is one who doesn't deny the horrible things that have been done in their country's past, and doesn't make excuses for them, but resolves to learn from that history and make a positive contribution in the present, for the future benefit of all. Just a theory.

According to Wiki:

In October 2005, Dink was convicted of "insulting Turkishness", ironically by writing an article where he suggested to diaspora Armenians that it was time to rid themselves of their rage against the Turks, a disease which he considered himself to be free of, keeping him emotionally healthy, all at the same time knowing something of discrimination.
      A terrible and pointless waste of human life.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Isn't Turkey's admission to the EU dependent on some degree of admission of guilt regarding the Armenians?

It really is frightening and saddening, the reasons people will use to justify violence against others.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

A majority of the Turks obviously are shocked and condemn the deed.
          Now they caught the suspected slayer. His own father recognised him on a video and notified the police.
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Pictures of the funeral. Thousands were out in the streets. I saw other pictures in my newspaper showing Istanbul's famous Galata bridge packed with tens of thousands claiming: "We are all Armeninas". Legislators are also considering to change the penal codes that criminalize criticism of the Turko-Armenian history. Let's hope Mr. Dink was the last victim, and maybe the shock is beneficial.
            Google ergo sum

Comment

This is very heartening, L'E. One can only hope for the best.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
              X