Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Open Letter To India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley
    My feeling - not having watch CBB and just hearing/reading about this cause celebre through the media - is that this is primarily about bullying and the racism card only comes into play because Shilpa Shetty happens to be Indian.
    It's true there are a number of factors at work... a lot of people have pointed to the class difference and age difference (not to mention the beauty gap) but those things only explain the motivation behind the bullying, they don't excuse the racist or xenophobic nature of the bullying, imho. As I wrote though, I've heard far more racist language in the street than I have coming from the BB house.

Originally posted by David Mosley
    What I think hasn't been made more of throughout this is the (apparent - because I haven't seen CBB) complicity in the bullying on the part of the other housemates to fail to intervene.
    Exactly... the viewers have objected in their thousands, but then we have the "luxury" of seeing it all neatly edited together in a bundle. The housemates only have bits of conversations and instinct to go on. But no one's denied that there is tension in the house, and everyone except Jade's clique seem pretty clear on who's responsible... everyone just seems to be too afraid of Jade to say anything. Which is silly from our POV, because we know that tonight she's leaving the house, f'sure.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    My feeling - not having watch CBB and just hearing/reading about this cause celebre through the media - is that this is primarily about bullying and the racism card only comes into play because Shilpa Shetty happens to be Indian. It does seem to be the case that Jade Goody (and her obnoxious mother) are the ringleaders with the other two girls (Daniella Lloyd & Jo O'Meera) tagging along in the 'bitchy' way that only girls can. My most sincere hope is that this will see the end of the media and public's obsession with Jade and she'll be quickly relegated from our front pages. (There is an irony that BB made Jade and CBB may (hopefully) break her.)

What I think hasn't been made more of throughout this is the (apparent - because I haven't seen CBB) complicity in the bullying on the part of the other housemates to fail to intervene. If it is racist then the fact that, for instance, Jermaine Jackson hasn't stood up about it is quite telling. When we see bullying and/or racism we ought to deal with it, but all too often it seems we prefer not to make a fuss. (Mike has spoken about this from a personal stance as being a key moment in his coming to write the Between the Wars quartet.)

Jade may be (rightly) lambasted for her behaviour, but the others aren't exactly exempt from blame either, yet they'll probably 'get away' with their non-behaviour.

As for Channel 4, well, this whole furore must be a media executive's wet dream. The money donated to charity shouldn't be allowed to excuse their complicity on what they broadcast. Sad to think that when it started C4 was a brave, daring and experimental channel and now has become little better than ITV.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kipper
    I don't know about television, but if you were to change that to 'Reality TV' !
    Well, that comment was also partly driven by the rise of new technologies... if everyone's watching their news and entertainment on the internet, and pirating TV shows direct to their computers, will we still need that box in the living room telling us what we can and can't watch? Or will we be able to decide for ourselves... I write that as someone who doesn't have Broadband, and can't get digital TV/Radio. As I say, we're a bit backwards down here in T' South!

That sentiment is seconded by this Brit as well, but I'd like to expand it by apologising, as a Brit, to the entire human race for the phenomenon known as 'Big Brother'!
    In fairness I think it was a Dutch creation, but (as a nation) we've certainly embraced the show, and fed the beast. Not me, personally... but my family have watched every version of it (and 'Love Island' and 'I'm A Celebrity' and 'Pop Idol', etcetera) since the beginning. Eep!

Channel 4 have been absolutely irresponsible in allowing the programme to be broadcast after so many complaints - 36,000 at last count. It is a cynical abuse of the reasonable morality of the majority of British people for the purposes of gaining ratings and profit, imo.
    I note that they're giving their profits from the eviction phonelines to "charity", in an attempt to regain some credibility... but, they had to really. I'm a great believer in good coming from bad though, and, while I agree that CH4 are shameless ratings-grabbers, perhaps once this issue has filtered through our collective consciousness, we'll all be a little wiser for it.

Plaudits to Carphone Warehouse for withdrawing their sponsorship from this appalling crap!
    Indeed. It would rather have undermined their whole "get the star treatment" campaign to be associated with the show, since Shetty is a genuine Bollywood star and she was treated appallingly by her housemates.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgan Kane
    What' s true is that racism is a flail .... and that this disease is present in France ..... in every social class, in every religious communauty !
    Indeed.

We're being told by our media that this story is now an "international" one, and that it could (possibly) effect global trade negotiations. Not sure how true that is, but it does shine a rather bright spotlight on some rather unpleasant aspects of British culture. But as you say, there are plenty of people in every country who are willing to pick up the "flail" and use it on others. Just a shame this story happened to crop up when one of our major politicans happened to be In India trying to shake hands.

Leave a comment:

• Kipper
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    I've been watching a lot of the reaction to this programme and there seems to be a common thread of media pundits saying "This doesn't reflect British society as a whole... it's a pressurized situation, and actually we're one of the most tolerant countries in the world." Which may be true on the whole, and no doubt it's true for the fancy, big city circles they move in, but I'm stuck down here in the "Deep South" of England, where there's a below average level of... well, everything... certainly cultural and racial integration and awareness. I've heard far more racist talk, than we've heard from the BB house, just walking down the street eavesdropping. And even if Britain is "tolerant" as a whole, I'm not sure tolerance is enough... I know I'm dreaming, but I'd like to see a genuine curiosity and respect for other people and cultures, not simply a begrudging apathy towards them.
    Hear hear DeeCrowSeer! 100% with you on that. Oop north, where I am, there's a lot more awareness, but tolerance is still in short supply.

Personally I'm hoping this will bring about the death of television altogether, along with Heat! magazine and Z-list celebrities and usher in a new era of universal love and understanding...
    I don't know about television, but if you were to change that to 'Reality TV' I'd also be with you 100%. 200% on the issue of the 'celebrities' - Z list right back to A list imo.

But until that time, I would like to apologise to the entire sub-continent for any offence caused... people may say "It's not really like that in Britain"... but in some parts of the country it really is. Sorry.
    That sentiment is seconded by this Brit as well, but I'd like to expand it by apologising, as a Brit, to the entire human race for the phenomenon known as 'Big Brother'!
    I personally think that it is reducing the mental and moral levels of the country to sludge. Channel 4 have been absolutely irresponsible in allowing the programme to be broadcast after so many complaints - 36,000 at last count. It is a cynical abuse of the reasonable morality of the majority of British people for the purposes of gaining ratings and profit, imo.
    The broadcasting authorites should have stepped in and pulled the plug as soon as this started to be a news item.
    Plaudits to Carphone Warehouse for withdrawing their sponsorship from this appalling crap!

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    Sorry but as not viewing the English TV programs ( French one no more ) i cannot give an opinion on the programm

what' s true is that racism is a flail .... and that this disease is present in France ..... in every social class, in every religious communauty !

I ma afraid !

And one of the two main candidates at the next presidential election is blowing on the fire of communautarism .

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    started a topic Open Letter To India

Open Letter To India

Well, not exactly, but... I came back to the forum hoping that someone would have started a thread about 'Celebrity Big Brother' that I could throw my two euros into... but apparently not! So, I'll do it myself.

First, some might argue that it's not a "political" issue, just a reality TV show... but when questions are asked in parliament, then it becomes an issue, whether you agree that it should be or not. For those who don't know, here's the sitch:

Its ratings may have soared, and the programme may once again have been at the centre of a national debate. But if executives at Channel 4 thought they had contained the racism crisis surrounding Celebrity Big Brother on Wednesday night, they were in for a rude awakening come yesterday morning... The outrage felt by viewers continued yesterday, as complaints poured into any outlet open to them. Broadcasting regulator Ofcom reported a record 33,000 complaints, while Channel 4 admitted it had received "thousands". Directory inquiry service 118 118 reported an unprecedented 1,058 angry callers on Wednesday night, most of them after 9.30pm, when Shilpa Shetty said she thought the abuse directed against her was racist.
    http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/sto...994090,00.html

I've been watching a lot of the reaction to this programme and there seems to be a common thread of media pundits saying "This doesn't reflect British society as a whole... it's a pressurized situation, and actually we're one of the most tolerant countries in the world." Which may be true on the whole, and no doubt it's true for the fancy, big city circles they move in, but I'm stuck down here in the "Deep South" of England, where there's a below average level of... well, everything... certainly cultural and racial integration and awareness. I've heard far more racist talk, than we've heard from the BB house, just walking down the street eavesdropping. And even if Britain is "tolerant" as a whole, I'm not sure tolerance is enough... I know I'm dreaming, but I'd like to see a genuine curiosity and respect for other people and cultures, not simply a begrudging apathy towards them.

Again, it's easy to say "this is just a storm in a teacup, caused by some silly girls", but viewed within the wider context of the Channel 4 programming I think it becomes more alarming... I've seen several documentaries about scary radical Muslims, where the presenter claimed that mosques were hotbeds of racial intolerance... but this is never put in the wider context of the country as a whole. You could level exactly the same accusation at a number of pubs in this area. Maybe it's just my skewed view, but Desi-phobia seems to be in vogue at the moment.

But Channel 4 are trying to fade the issue out, and soften the housemate's images, implying that it's really a "Class" thing. Which may be true on the surface, but there's no way of knowing for sure what lurks in the heart of any housemate (only The Shadow knows!). Personally I'm hoping this will bring about the death of television altogether, along with Heat! magazine and Z-list celebrities and usher in a new era of universal love and understanding...

But until that time, I would like to apologise to the entire sub-continent for any offence caused... people may say "It's not really like that in Britain"... but in some parts of the country it really is. Sorry.
Working...
X