Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Open Letter To India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johneffay
    replied
    My phone has been cut off, so I'm rather late to this one, but cannot resist adding my

Originally posted by Mikey_C
    The answer is really to condemn C4 and the producers Endemol who profit from marketing this freakshow.
    Absolutely. However, whilst there seems to be quite a bit of (perfectly justified) criticism of C4, I cannot understand why Endemol are not getting more flak. These are the people who actually edit the programme (remember, none of it is live), and so were selecting these particular images to beam into people's homes. Furthermore, they were supposedly in control of the situation and so should have been the ones who acted to defuse it rather than ramping the whole thing up in the name of ratings.

Was there racist bullying going on? Yes.

Are the people involved really racist bullies? I haven't a clue. Stick a bunch of very different people in an enclosed situatation where they spend large periods of time being bored and they will get on each other nerves and use anything they can think of against each other. That does not mean they would necessarily do this in real life.

Of course, C4 claim that this is educational for the viewer. The same point was made better and with more finesse in the episode of Red Dwarf where Rimmer quarantines the other three...

Leave a comment:

• silverhand
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    You've never heard of The Jackson Five or The A-Team? Now you're just making me feel old...

Ken Russell, the big famous film director was in there for a couple of days, but he was one of the (apparently psychic) male housemates who did a runner after Jade walked through the doors. They sensed there was a storm a-brewin'... like horses before a tornado...
    My fault, got caught up with the recent furore & forgot about Ken Russell et al who had already walked.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    You've never heard of The Jackson Five or The A-Team? Now you're just making me feel old...

Ken Russell, the big famous film director was in there for a couple of days, but he was one of the (apparently psychic) male housemates who did a runner after Jade walked through the doors. They sensed there was a storm a-brewin'... like horses before a tornado...

Leave a comment:

• silverhand
    replied
    Thing is, they call it Celebrity Big Brother. But I've never heard of any of them apart from the fat loud-mouthed slapper. I think it's a sad comment on our society that these vacuous people are promoted as celebrities for doing no more than yell, shout, get smahed out of their skulls & expose various bits of their anatomy.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    One of the problem is media attitude :

When a transgression is made by a person of foreign origin, they tell it with insistance .....

When there are problems they overstate them to sell papers and to get audience ....

This led In France, in 2002, with other reasons to the leader of ultra right coming second at the presidential election !

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley
    If true, the whole thing has been desparately stage-managed by C4 in order to save the one 'success' story that BB has ever had.
    I did read that in the papers, and have to say that the sudden change in housemate's attitudes did seem a bit suspect. When Shilpa was in the Diary Room saying that she wanted to "retract" her allegation of racism, it did sound remarkably like a statement to the press. Jade's sudden desire to apologise (but only for the one comment that was underlined for her (twice!) by BB) was also a little hard to swallow, and Danielle's apology was pathetic... you could practically hear her gritting her teeth, and she couldn't resist a few barely-veiled digs at the end. I suspect that there was some manipulation going on, as everyone tried desperately to calm things down. And, as Mikey says, a lot of the furore is coming from the same bullying, "pack" mentality as the housemate's own adhorent behaviour.

If we're making literary references, I'd point to Orwell's "two minutes hate" from 1984, where everyone was encouraged to yell abuse at a state selected scapegoat hate figure. I write this as my Mum and sister are in the other room sneering at contestants on 'Shipwrecked', yet another reality TV show. As the Radio 1 DJ Nihal pointed out only this morning, if we're totally honest about it, most of us have some form of prejudice lurking in our hearts, and it's too easy to give in and let it ride. As with the example above of supposed "racists" helping out their neighbours when it came to the crunch, we have to work against our baser instincts. No one's perfect, but I believe that progress is possible.

So, I'm not getting caught up in the Jade-bashing, because I see her as a symptom, rather than a cause... three other "symptoms" remain within the house, but are unlikely to get quite such malicious press, especially now they've had their wrists slapped... although Jade's boyfriend seemed reluctant to let bygones be bygones. I certainly don't want anyone to come to any physical harm, but I don't want people to profit from this mess either. The problem with getting caught up in a story like this is that there will never be a resolution... certainly not a satisfactory one.

It is interesting, however, seeing formerly lightweight presenters, and shows having to tackle a big, serious issue. I just hope the issue doesn't get lost along the way... because they seem absolutely crucial to me... but I'm not sure our "popular culture" is equipped to handle them, at present.

Leave a comment:

• opaloka
    replied
    I've checked out the clips on youtube, the racism on that show is pretty much any night of the week here in the states. Also, if the show is anything like it's stateside counterparts, it's not real. They're all put ons, everybody's coached for every situation.

I did like seeing Dirk. I spent a few years as a kid watching Dirk every week. He seems like a cool guy to hang out with.

Leave a comment:

• Kipper
    replied
    There are reports coming out that Jade was tipped off about the contraversy outside the house and even had a 40min chat with her agent on how to defuse the crisis - the same agent she shares with Davina - and then proceeded to tell Jo how she could also salvage her public persona with a comeback record. Apparently, this footage in on YourTube.

If true, the whole thing has been desparately stage-managed by C4 in order to save the one 'success' story that BB has ever had.
    I don't watch it, won't watch it and hope never to feel the urge! My ex Mrs did watch it though, but not in my house!

If, as you say David, Jade was tipped off and tried to pull back from the 'rascist' tag, that makes something of a mockery of the point of the programme doesn't it? Perhaps Shilpa Shetty's reversal of opinion was also the result of a quiet word from C4.

I've just seen this evening's news at ten report, which showed Jade's reaction to her eviction. She appeared to be pretty unruffled by it, which gave me to think that she expected it. Forewarned is forearmed, as I've heard said.

If the report of the tip-off is correct, it illustrates the cynical approach that C4 have had to this furore perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    don' t genralize please ...

there are racists and no racists ... .

I know people who don't like black people but who have made much to help one of them having troubles ......

And when the french governement took lmesures to expell families with children in school thousand of people mobilised hid them, protected them with much success .... and the protesters were not only leftist liberals !

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    CBB is all about provoking the nasty aspects of human nature in the "contestants", and - racism being one of those nasty aspects - this was bound to happen. The answer is really to condemn C4 and the producers Endemol who profit from marketing this freakshow. But to react like Gordon Brown, and more or less advise people to join in and vote one of the inmates out, is actually to endorse the whole tawdry spectacle. Commentators are arguing that Endemol will profit from this free publicity and may even break into a new market in India as a result.

I can't be bothered to join in the chorus against the hapless Ms. Goody. She's nothing, and she knows it. It must be hard to sustain such a bubble, and now it's burst. Ultimately, she's just a puppet.

Does anyone really believe that Britain isn't racist, anyway? Just pick up a tabloid some day and read the editorial comment on immigrants and asylum seekers - the very same papers who are now laying into Goody with the same "pack behaviour" that she is supposed to have displayed. They know what sells in this country - as do Channel 4!
    Last edited by Mikey_C; 01-19-2007, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    But I'm watching the programme because the depicted behaviour concerns me (in both senses of the word) and I'm trying to understand it, and formulate a response to it.
    Just to clarify, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone personally for watching it; all I'm saying is that by continuing to watch it and thereby push the ratings up, Endomol and C4 have no incentive to change what they've been doing. If you listen to the deputy-chairman of C4 it's obvious that someone could get serously physically harmed on BB (as has nearly happened in previous series) and it still wouldn't be the channel's fault in any way.

There are reports coming out that Jade was tipped off about the contraversy outside the house and even had a 40min chat with her agent on how to defuse the crisis - the same agent she shares with Davina - and then proceeded to tell Jo how she could also salvage her public persona with a comeback record. Apparently, this footage in on YourTube.

Last edited by David Mosley; 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgan Kane
    Spinrad predicted TV reality more than 35 years ago if not BB !
    A 'Brave New World' indeed! If you ask me, it sucks.

I note that C4 are only donating the profits from tonight's telephone vote, not from the series. Another dose of cynisism from what, as David pointed out, started out as a 'brave new channel' (sorry about the misquote there David )

The BBC news just announced that Jaded Jade has been evicted. Shame that wasn't 'eviscerated'!

Joy to your screens compadres.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    But the viewers are also complicit in the matter by continuing to tune in.
    To be fair to... er... myself, and other viewers, when a TV programme is accused (correctly or otherwise) of being a threat to national trade relations, it's understandable that people would be curious. Also, there must have been a lot of journalists and columnists tuning in!

But really my concern is that it's easy to switch the programme off, and say "that should never have been broadcast", but it doesn't change the fact that this behaviour is an actual part of people's lives. Turning the television off won't make my home town, or anyone else's home town, a more civilised and pleasant place to live. Neither will exploiting such conflict for ratings and newspaper sales, of course.

But I'm watching the programme because the depicted behaviour concerns me (in both senses of the word) and I'm trying to understand it, and formulate a response to it.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    remember Bug Jack Baron !

Spinrad predicted TV reality more than 35 years ago if not BB !

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Exactly... the viewers have objected in their thousands...
    But the viewers are also complicit in the matter by continuing to tune in. This is one of the things I object most to about BB. The original BB was as much a social experiment/endurance test of whether 10 strangers could survive cut-off from the outside world for 10 weeks. That gave it some credibility. Successive series have upped the 'nasty' factor, partly by putting incompatitable housemates into the BB house, partly by the makers introducing artificially created division within the house (ie Rich House/Poor House) into to create conflict between the housemates. And the audiences have lapped it all up, thus encouraging the makers to greater and greater extremes.

Nigel Kneale's The Year of the Sex Olympics has never been more prescient.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X