Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Open Letter To India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've checked out the clips on youtube, the racism on that show is pretty much any night of the week here in the states. Also, if the show is anything like it's stateside counterparts, it's not real. They're all put ons, everybody's coached for every situation.

I did like seeing Dirk. I spent a few years as a kid watching Dirk every week. He seems like a cool guy to hang out with.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
      If true, the whole thing has been desparately stage-managed by C4 in order to save the one 'success' story that BB has ever had.
      I did read that in the papers, and have to say that the sudden change in housemate's attitudes did seem a bit suspect. When Shilpa was in the Diary Room saying that she wanted to "retract" her allegation of racism, it did sound remarkably like a statement to the press. Jade's sudden desire to apologise (but only for the one comment that was underlined for her (twice!) by BB) was also a little hard to swallow, and Danielle's apology was pathetic... you could practically hear her gritting her teeth, and she couldn't resist a few barely-veiled digs at the end. I suspect that there was some manipulation going on, as everyone tried desperately to calm things down. And, as Mikey says, a lot of the furore is coming from the same bullying, "pack" mentality as the housemate's own adhorent behaviour.

If we're making literary references, I'd point to Orwell's "two minutes hate" from 1984, where everyone was encouraged to yell abuse at a state selected scapegoat hate figure. I write this as my Mum and sister are in the other room sneering at contestants on 'Shipwrecked', yet another reality TV show. As the Radio 1 DJ Nihal pointed out only this morning, if we're totally honest about it, most of us have some form of prejudice lurking in our hearts, and it's too easy to give in and let it ride. As with the example above of supposed "racists" helping out their neighbours when it came to the crunch, we have to work against our baser instincts. No one's perfect, but I believe that progress is possible.

So, I'm not getting caught up in the Jade-bashing, because I see her as a symptom, rather than a cause... three other "symptoms" remain within the house, but are unlikely to get quite such malicious press, especially now they've had their wrists slapped... although Jade's boyfriend seemed reluctant to let bygones be bygones. I certainly don't want anyone to come to any physical harm, but I don't want people to profit from this mess either. The problem with getting caught up in a story like this is that there will never be a resolution... certainly not a satisfactory one.

It is interesting, however, seeing formerly lightweight presenters, and shows having to tackle a big, serious issue. I just hope the issue doesn't get lost along the way... because they seem absolutely crucial to me... but I'm not sure our "popular culture" is equipped to handle them, at present.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

One of the problem is media attitude :

When a transgression is made by a person of foreign origin, they tell it with insistance .....

When there are problems they overstate them to sell papers and to get audience ....

This led In France, in 2002, with other reasons to the leader of ultra right coming second at the presidential election !

Comment

Thing is, they call it Celebrity Big Brother. But I've never heard of any of them apart from the fat loud-mouthed slapper. I think it's a sad comment on our society that these vacuous people are promoted as celebrities for doing no more than yell, shout, get smahed out of their skulls & expose various bits of their anatomy.
          Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

You've never heard of The Jackson Five or The A-Team? Now you're just making me feel old...

Ken Russell, the big famous film director was in there for a couple of days, but he was one of the (apparently psychic) male housemates who did a runner after Jade walked through the doors. They sensed there was a storm a-brewin'... like horses before a tornado...

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
              You've never heard of The Jackson Five or The A-Team? Now you're just making me feel old...

Ken Russell, the big famous film director was in there for a couple of days, but he was one of the (apparently psychic) male housemates who did a runner after Jade walked through the doors. They sensed there was a storm a-brewin'... like horses before a tornado...
              My fault, got caught up with the recent furore & forgot about Ken Russell et al who had already walked.
              Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

My phone has been cut off, so I'm rather late to this one, but cannot resist adding my

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                The answer is really to condemn C4 and the producers Endemol who profit from marketing this freakshow.
                Absolutely. However, whilst there seems to be quite a bit of (perfectly justified) criticism of C4, I cannot understand why Endemol are not getting more flak. These are the people who actually edit the programme (remember, none of it is live), and so were selecting these particular images to beam into people's homes. Furthermore, they were supposedly in control of the situation and so should have been the ones who acted to defuse it rather than ramping the whole thing up in the name of ratings.

Was there racist bullying going on? Yes.

Are the people involved really racist bullies? I haven't a clue. Stick a bunch of very different people in an enclosed situatation where they spend large periods of time being bored and they will get on each other nerves and use anything they can think of against each other. That does not mean they would necessarily do this in real life.

Of course, C4 claim that this is educational for the viewer. The same point was made better and with more finesse in the episode of Red Dwarf where Rimmer quarantines the other three...

Comment

And the winner is... Shilpa Shetty!!! A good result for Big Brother, and for Britain.

Was it the sympathy vote that carried her to victory? Possibly, but I see no shame in that. She still could have blown all that goodwill in the last week, but instead she became even more adorable. Imho. It's interesting that the top three housemates were all from other countries, with two Americans and one Indian. None of the homegrown housemates could really compete... no matter how many times H-From-Steps tried to get his nips out for the camera! Bless.

It's strange that Dermot and Davina (the presenters) both expressed their dislike for having to conduct interviews where there was actually an issue at stake, and something of interest to discuss. They repeatedly agreed that they'd rather be talking about farts and burps, than racism. Clealry this episode hasn't fired up a dormant journalistic streak in either of the presenters. What effect it has on society as a whole remains to be seen... probably none... it's mildly depressing that they are now announcing the auditions for the next civilian series. Haven't people learned by now not to go on these shows? Yes, you might launch a short TV career, but you might also become a national hate figure. I love it when someone comes out and defends their abhorent behaviour by saying "You don't understand what it's like in there..." Well, to be fair, there have been at least eight series now, so I think we do understand what happens to people when they're put in that pressure-cooker house. If you choose to go in there, knowing how it has destroyed peoples' lives in the past, then you have to take responsibility for that decision. Surely?

But more power to Shetty, who managed to keep her head while all around were putting their own on the tabloid chopping block...
                  Last edited by DeeCrowSeer; 01-29-2007, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                    Haven't people learned by now not to go on these shows? Yes, you might launch a short TV career, but you might also become a national hate figure.
                    Jade is reputedly worth £8 million. Even if that's only half true, it's a hell of an incentive to go on these sorts of programmes.

However, I doubt that many of the contestants are as sharp at exploiting their talents as she is...

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread recently (in response to something Doc wrote), I've always felt that Alan Moore had made a particularly adroit observation when he describe the 20th (now the 21st) century's obsession with Fame as being akin to going to sea in the 18th century. I'm really going to have to hunt through my box files and clippings to find the actual quote (because Moore puts it so much better than I will), but in précis, it goes something like this:

In the 18th century, we used to throw young people to the vagaries of sea-life. They would be made to work on sailing ships, amongst the rigging and yardarms of the ship. Life was dangerous, occasionally people lost limbs or even their lives battling the capricious Sea. Sometimes people went voluntarily into service, but other times they were 'pressed' into servitude against their will.

Nowadays, we let young people throw themselves upon the equally capricious tides of Fame. They are thrown up and down according to the public's interest (or disinterest) in them, and invariably some are wrecked upon the rocks of Celebrity. Many go in search of Fame without really knowing what it entails, and find it tastes very bitter.

Like I say, Alan expresses it a lot better than that (and I'm trying to remember something I read 10-15 years ago) so I must apologies for my ineptitude in summarising his thoughts. No doubt I do him a disservice in trying to do so.

Getting back to the topic at hand - i.e. BB - it seems to me that the people who perhaps come out least scathed by their experiences are those like Sandy (from BB3?) who turn their backs on a post-BB life and pretend it never happened.
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                        Jade is reputedly worth £8 million. Even if that's only half true, it's a hell of an incentive to go on these sorts of programmes.

However, I doubt that many of the contestants are as sharp at exploiting their talents as she is...
                        I seem to remember that Jade was ridiculed by the media at the time of her first BB show? She was made out to be a real dumbass. There was almost a media frenzy around her for a couple of months after the show.
                        I doubt if she, personally, is as adroit as it appears. I do think that she has some superb agent/advisors who have guided her steps to this point. Perhaps she should have taken them with her on the last BB, to advise her there!
                        It also highlights the total lack of real talent on TV in these days of cable and satellite multi-channel eyeball candy. She's had a chat show on Living TV, fer gawd's sake! How?
                        He's well smoked

Comment

Originally posted by Kipper
                          I doubt if she, personally, is as adroit as it appears. I do think that she has some superb agent/advisors who have guided her steps to this point.
                          Well, I couldn't say for sure but consider this.

1. It is a fact that she hardly ever went to school as she was at home looking after her appalling mother which probably explains why she is so ignorant of so many things that most people assume are general knowledge.

2. She has had the same initial agents/advisors to guide her steps as many other BB contestants (including some winners) and yet, despite only coming fourth she has somehow managed to be considerably more successful in terms of enduring celebrity status and financial gain.

I don't deny that she was in the right place at the right time when the public took her to their hearts or whatever. However, whilst she is certainly uneducated, you don't manage to claw your way that far up the slippery pole despite having no apparent talent whatsoever without having something about you.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                            Like I say, Alan expresses it a lot better than that (and I'm trying to remember something I read 10-15 years ago) so I must apologies for my ineptitude in summarising his thoughts. No doubt I do him a disservice in trying to do so.
                            Well, I thought it was a very interesting analogy, and very well put! I suppose you could also make the comparison with The American West, when that frontier was first opening up and everyone was rushing over with their shovels and covered wagons. "There's gold in them thar reality TV shows!!"

But I agree that the smart ones are those that go back to obscurity with some shred of dignity intact. The first winner of the UK BB, Craig, didn't do that... but he had entered the house to raise money for a local girl who needed a heart/lung transplant (okay, I peeked at Wiki for that bit of the sentence...). An admirable motivation, but ever since that first series, there has been very little worthy of admiration.

Amusingly the cover of The Sun today claims that Shilpa has changed Britain! I think that's overstating the case a bit... but the whole thing has certainly changed me, and made me want to do more to tackle my own ignorance about other countries.* I doubt this furore has changed many hardcore racists into happier, hipper bunnies, but it's clearly galvanised some sections of society, and forced some difficult issues into the national consciousness/conscience for a bit. For some reason a commentator in The Sun also claims that the country's interest in Shilpa will fade after a few months... but I would say that depends entirely on what she does with her new found UK fame. If she's cast in a new series or film, then she could be around much longer... there is at least the potential for longevity in an acting career... especially a bi-lingual, bi-national one...

* Until last year I didn't even know that Sri Lanka was an island! I thought it was part of India...

Comment

Celebrity's latest casualty (of her own making)?

Jo's anguish

Former S Club 7 Jo O'Meara tells her side of the story - watch the whole interview here

An emotional Jo O'Meara broke down in tears on GMTV, claiming that her comments that helped to fan the flames of the race row were taken out of context.

Speaking to Fiona Phillips, the former housemate said she was shocked by the public reaction and claims she has been the victim of death threats since leaving the house.

Watch the complete interview by clicking on the link at the top of this page

FIONA PHILLIPS: Jo, I have to say, I'm really shocked at the state you are in. You've been rocking back and forth, you're shaking, you just look like a broken woman. How are you feeling three days on?

JO O'MEARA: I'm just so shocked. I just feel shocked at the way the public... the way I have been seen and perceived, because that is not me. I don't know why they have dug me out as much people have done, because that is not the person that I am, that was shown.

FP: But you said those things. You said that Indian's are skinny because they don't cook their food properly, when Shilpa was asking for your help during that huge argument with Jade you just laughed, and after it you said, 'It's made my day'. All of those comments were yours weren't they?

JM: Yes they were, but everything has been taken completely out of context. I was laughing at the fact that the house sends you mad, as you can probably see. I was just laughing at the fact that we were arguing over an Oxo cube at the end of the day. It's just so silly.

FP: So if Shilpa came into the room right now, what would you say to her?

JM: I would give her a big hug. I didn't have anything against Shilpa at all, it's just that I probably didn't bond with her as well as I did with some others but it was never anything to do with the fact that she was an Indian woman. The things that I have said about her have not been fairly quoted, I said that I think she is probably one of the most beautiful, most glamorous woman that I have ever met, but none of that stuff has ever got across. It's just all the bad stuff, all the time.

FP: I have to say, I was shocked at how you came across in the house, always smoking, always swearing...

JM: It's the way the programme has been edited. I wasn't in my dressing gown all day long, I was showered, hair washed and dressed by ten, eleven, every single morning.

FP: You weren't portrayed very well in the Sunday papers, which didn't help matters. There was a very defiant picture of you on the front of the Sunday Mirror, saying that you refuse to apologise and that you would do it all again if there was a chance. What do you say to that?

JM: Everything that I said in that interview was completely misquoted, it really was. I don't know what I am supposed to do.

FP: Have you seen your parents yet?

An upset Jo nods her head

FP: What do they think?

JM: Devastated.

FP: Have you been home yet?

JM: I can't go home.

FP: Why can't you go home?

JM: Because I have got death threats.

FP: Has anyone from Big Brother actually tried to help you?

JM: Not really.

FP: What do you think of what they have done to you? From what I can see, they have left you completely broken.

JM: I just feel that Big Brother had a TV show to make and they have to do what they can to make good viewing and unfortunately I felt like I was a guinea pig or something, I felt like I was put in a fish tank. It's ruined my life. I just want to say to everyone, that if I did offend anybody in anyway, I never meant it at all.

FP: Do you think you bullied Shilpa?

JM: No, I don't think I bullied Shilpa at all. I really don't. I have got feelings, and I make mistakes sometimes, everybody makes mistakes but just not everybody does it on TV.

FP: Why did you do it then?

JM: I did it to try and save my house.

FP: Because, is it true, that your house is in threat of being repossessed?

Jo nods and becomes very upset

FP: Alright, we'll leave you because you really do need to get some help. It is terrible to see you like this. Thanks Jo.

Please note: GMTV MUST BE CREDITED IF ANY QUOTES ARE USED.
                              Compare & contrast to this headline at the weekend:

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Not having seen BB, It's hard for me to reliably comment on it.
                                However, if you DO go on a show like that, you should be aware they're going to show any events or comments that are going to push up ratings for them, which includes all the stuff that she apparently did.

Everyone knows the media colours the "facts" to their needs.
                                That's why I take what I see on the news with a pinch of salt and I pretty much ignore newspapers.
                                If I want to find something out about current events, I'll goto various news websites from different countries to get different views and decide from there.
                                Last edited by danskmacabre; 01-30-2007, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X