Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

US Selective Service Tests Draft System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Selective Service Tests Draft System

Get ready boys and girls.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...e2291979.shtml
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
    I was thinking about this the other day.

I liked how they said that they tested the draft machines,but have no plans at all to reinstate the draft. -why would it need to be tested?

I would think that with today's technology,a testing would not really be required.

Oh well, I'm probably too old,if they only draft to 27 or so, but I did send in my selective service card when I moved to my present location.

My other family members are too old or too young to go in now,but the young ones may have to serve in a few years.

My cousin was already in the Army and discharged,so they probably would call everyone else first,before getting him back in, his wife is still serving in Iraq,though.

I'm pretty sure there will be a Democrat President elected in 2008,so,it's hard to say if the US will need to activate the Draft or not,but I have a feeling that no matter what political party the next President represents, we will still be at war for a long time. imho.
    Last edited by lemec; 12-29-2006, 11:04 PM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
      All I really get from this is "It's not a draft until we say so!". Regardless of which party will come to dominate after the coming 2008 election. China is keeping the US economy afloat, and China is now on a military spending spree. And I wonder how the drunken cowboy with a big gun will react when China closes the bar?
      Last edited by Theocrat; 12-30-2006, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Will the US Department Of Justice impose extradition laws in order to curtail a re-enactment of the dodgey events that occurred during the Vietnam war?

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-71-348/...draft_dodgers/

If you watch the Yorkville clip you will notice the term Bohemians used in describing some of the residents thereof.
        I wonder if a younger Michael Moorcock ever frequented said area?
        History repeats itself in a 40 year cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
          I was thinking about this the other day.

I liked how they said that they tested the draft machines,but have no plans at all to reinstate the draft. -why would it need to be tested?

I would think that with today's technology,a testing would not really be required.

Oh well, I'm probably too old,if they only draft to 27 or so, but I did send in my selective service card when I moved to my present location.

My other family members are too old or too young to go in now,but the young ones may have to serve in a few years.

My cousin was already in the Army and discharged,so they probably would call everyone else first,before getting him back in, his wife is still serving in Iraq,though.

I'm pretty sure there will be a Democrat President elected in 2008,so,it's hard to say if the US will need to activate the Draft or not,but I have a feeling that no matter what political party the next President represents, we will still be at war for a long time. imho.
          It's up to age 26 that you're automatically entered for Selective Service. I'm lucky I just aged out.

Immigrants to the US get a shit deal anyway - you can work and pay taxes, you can't vote, but you can be used as cannon fodder in a war.

Ever see Gangs of New York? The one image that stuck with me from that film was of the irish immigrants getting off the boat and being signed up to the army and packed off to battle before their feet had even touched the ground. When you think about it, things haven't really changed all that much.

I mean, you emmigrate here with the best of intentions, to work and be with you wife, and before you know it you can find yourself dodging bullets in some pointless war.

On the plus side, Bush has done so much damage to whatever reputation he once had that he likely won't touch the draft with a 10 foot pole.
          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
            It's up to age 26 that you're automatically entered for Selective Service. I'm lucky I just aged out.

Immigrants to the US get a shit deal anyway - you can work and pay taxes, you can't vote, but you can be used as cannon fodder in a war.

Ever see Gangs of New York? The one image that stuck with me from that film was of the irish immigrants getting off the boat and being signed up to the army and packed off to battle before their feet had even touched the ground. When you think about it, things haven't really changed all that much.

I mean, you emmigrate here with the best of intentions, to work and be with you wife, and before you know it you can find yourself dodging bullets in some pointless war.

On the plus side, Bush has done so much damage to whatever reputation he once had that he likely won't touch the draft with a 10 foot pole.

Good point, devilchicken!

Yes,I did see that movie,good film,fascinating bit of history.

About Bush-

He don't need to activate the draft,

He can just use Press Gangs!

I'm sure there are subtle ways to "force" people into military service.

-A little pressure here a small threat there.....

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

D.C. Posted:
              What do you think he has to lose D.C... Popularity ratings?
              I was going to ask you about your thoughts in regards to the possibility of being eligible for US military conscription as I had remembered your previous posts stating your age and recent US citizenship.
              Ever been to Canada?

Comment

I'm not eligible any more - I turn 29 in February, so unless things take a serious turn for the worse (i.e. a foray into Iran, or WW3) its doubtful I would get called up.

Its worth looking at the adjustment of status form I-485
                (if I remember correctly). You are required to check the box registering for Selective Service if you are 26 or under - otherwise the USCIS reject your petition.

I don't think Bush's party, who are now looking to the 2008 election would allow him to pass a conscription draft. Its irrelevant anyway as the Democrats take control of both house's from the 1st of the year, and they too don't want to rock the boat by expanding a deeply unpopular war.
                Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Not going to happen - heck, the scheduled test isn't even going down until 2009, 11 years since the last one.

The democrats have sponsored a bill the last two years to reinstate the draft, actually. It recieved 1 vote in the Senate. It requires two sponsors to even come up for a vote, so that means not even the two democrats supporting the bill actually voted for it.

It was simply a publicity stunt in order that they could say that there was a bill about reinstating the draft to make the administration look bad. First, they don't need any help there and second, it was semi-effective, because it got a lot of press and most people don't bother to read the details, only the head line - Senate bill to reinstate the draft coming to vote.

Neither party would touch this - it's political suicide. Honestly, about the only thing I can think of that could cause a draft would be a nuke going off in a major american city - and then you wouldn't need one.

Comment

Let's repeat what Demiurge accurately pointed out, since it is very relevant:

- The Republican Party has made no indication whatsoever that they are even remotely in favor of reinstituting the draft, and in fact has been vehemently opposed to the draft on all fronts.
                    - The only serious proponent of this in Congress is Democrat Representative Charles Rangel, who has made several stabs at introducing a draft bill. The last one was defeated 402-2. Yes, that is correct: 402 AGAINST and 2 FOR. There are currently 540 Representatives total.
                    - This test is supposed to occur every three years, and hasn't due to last minute funding cuts (so don't hold your breath that this will happen in '09, either).

This has no bearing whatsoever on whether a draft is imminent or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X