Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Thatcher's mate pops off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thatcher's mate pops off!

I wouldn't normally rejoice at the death of a fellow human being, but It's just been announced that General Pinochet has died, robbing Chileans of their chance at justice. Wonder why we never attempted regime change there! Ooops, silly me that's how he got their in the first place.
    Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Not always the best leaving us first !

Comment

iViva la libertad! iViva la vida!
      Pinochitler is dead!

iUn monstruo menos en el mundo, por fin!

He was a contemporary, silverhand, but I doubt he was a fellow human being!

Google ergo sum

Comment

I always liked to see Thatcher defending Pinochet: It was a stick to beat her defenders over the head with.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
          I always liked to see Thatcher defending Pinochet: It was a stick to beat her defenders over the head with.
          BBC1 News ran the news clip of her fawning over the old murderer when he was under house arrest in England in 1998. I wonder if they'll trot the loony old bat out again now he's gone, or will posh kid Dave block it? You may surmise from these subtle hints this that I'm not exactly a Tory supporter!

Comment

Originally posted by silverhand
            BBC1 News ran the news clip of her fawning over the old murderer when he was under house arrest in England in 1998. I wonder if they'll trot the loony old bat out again now he's gone, or will posh kid Dave block it? You may surmise from these subtle hints this that I'm not exactly a Tory supporter!
            or a Blair supporter !

But for Tathcher and others, Pinochet preserved the most important freedom, that is the freedom of the market !

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
              or a Blair supporter !

But for Tathcher and others, Pinochet preserved the most important freedom, that is the freedom of the market !
              Well, I must confess to being a member of the Labour Party, but I always found Uncle Tony a bit right-wing for my tastes!

Comment

[irony] No doubt there will be an outpouring of grief in the hallowed halls of Washington and London for this champion of democracy and human rights.... [/irony]
                Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                Bakunin

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                  iViva la libertad! iViva la vida!
                  Pinochitler is dead!

iUn monstruo menos en el mundo, por fin!

He was a contemporary, silverhand, but I doubt he was a fellow human being!

Su muerte fue demasiado fلcil.
                  Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
                  -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Now he just has to wait for Thatcher to die and Satan will have finally collected all of the 'villains of the 80's' TM

Comment

Originally posted by Madrigal Rose
                      Su muerte fue demasiado fلcil.
                      His death was too easy, maybe. But now his disciples will be dispersed sooner and there's a better chance the country repairs the internal rift. We have to realise that a sustantial number of Chileans more or less endorsed his politics. Plus, there has never been, like in defeated Germany after the war, a process of assessment (albeit painful) of what happened in 1973 and in the years before and after.
                      The embarrasment of being held under house arrest in Britain for many, many months because a democratic judge from Spain ordered his detention, the fact that Democracy was more or less restored and that two of the country's presidents after he had to turn of the power were leftist - the current one, Ms Bachelet, even being a former torture victim of his - must have made Pinochet's final months somewhat bitter. At least, por lo menos!
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

You can say one thing for our Margaret, she is nothing if not consistent:

Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher is "greatly saddened" by the death of Augusto Pinochet, said a spokesman. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6167351.stm)

Comment

Sorry- I guess I got a *little* emotional.
                          Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
                          -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Originally posted by Madrigal Rose
                            Sorry- I guess I got a *little* emotional.
                            It's hard not to get emotional when faced with the hypocrisy of some, so called, 'leaders of men'. With a little luck, perhaps some of the punishment he deserved, but escaped, might be allocated to his political supporters abroad. Maybe he bought his way into a delayed stay in the UK, with some of the millions he has apparently siphoned from the Chilean economy? Maybe international lawyers should be tried in pinochets' place, for offences against Humanity?

I got Emotional about it, MR. I felt ashamed when we (UK Government and friends) helped him to avoid trial, and saddened, at the news that he had escaped public punishment.

I hope that more people get emotional about it, and that those that govern us take notice of that, and bear it in mind when next they have a decision, like the deportation of pinochet, to make.
                            He's well smoked

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
                              or a Blair supporter !

There never 'really' has been a thing like a "free market".

http://fbc.binghamton.edu/iwsovty.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X