Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Open Letter to England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Letter to England

There are Americans who view the last six years as utter catastrophe. Never forget your American cousins who strove to invalidate the actions of a despot, and who assume the responsibility of mass murder and irredeemable chaos brought on by our failure to effect change. Many of us remain active in our opposition. I work with Americans who have openly criticized our government and attempted to sway our fellow citizens through rational discussion. It is obvious to any intelligent person that a large part of our population remain disinterested, disconnected or supportive of the actions of our government. We will not be satisfied with mere embarrassment on the part of our government, and will never ever give up our attempts to effect change, or reason with rational citizens. We will never accept rationale over rationality. No American I know has supported the use of torture. No one I know supports endless war, torture and the devaluation of human life. No one speaks support for our government as it relates to the war in Iraq, though many silent supporters continue their relentless criticism of rational thought and rational action. Please do not lose faith in us and do not give up yourselves. The only answer to absolute power is absolute resistance! Never, ever, ever give your power to fools who seek to empower themselves instead of their constituents!
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
    There are Americans who view the last six years as utter catastrophe. Never forget your American cousins who strove to invalidate the actions of a despot, and who assume the responsibility of mass murder and irredeemable chaos brought on by our failure to effect change. Many of us remain active in our opposition. I work with Americans who have openly criticized our government and attempted to sway our fellow citizens through rational discussion. It is obvious to any intelligent person that a large part of our population remain disinterested, disconnected or supportive of the actions of our government. We will not be satisfied with mere embarrassment on the part of our government, and will never ever give up our attempts to effect change, or reason with rational citizens. We will never accept rationale over rationality. No American I know has supported the use of torture. No one I know supports endless war, torture and the devaluation of human life. No one speaks support for our government as it relates to the war in Iraq, though many silent supporters continue their relentless criticism of rational thought and rational action. Please do not lose faith in us and do not give up yourselves. The only answer to absolute power is absolute resistance! Never, ever, ever give your power to fools who seek to empower themselves instead of their constituents!
    "Rationality" is a 'value judgment' if anything. So its not 'value neutral as many may think it is either. In order to resist or oppose a hierarchy, a populace or group needs 'conciousness' about the situation, social aspect et al. It's hard to reach this conciousness when the fluff of media and culture goes on, in its eurocentric, materialist indoctrination directed towards the lower strata. How to empower the lower stratum with the conciousness it should achieve, to empower itslef, is a tough nut to crack. Because the subjects don't want to lose the priveligies it already has.
    So the subject acts according to his own 'self-interest', as do we all. And any 'change' is just to little to late. Ideas can spread, but that is about all a supposed 'democratic' movement can achieve. Is that enough?

Comment

Reinart, i never made the american people as a whole guilty of the mess the Bush governement made the world in ! And no ratioanle inteligent human being did the same .....

But, sometimes, it is difficult !

I, understand your worries, because when i see what sometimes the french governement is able to do, i am ashamed ...

Comment

I guess one of the problems that we face is that it is very easy to criticise groups as a whole, thereby dismissing the role, and the capabilities, of individuals. I know I am sometimes guilty of critcising "Americans" as a whole when really I am criticising an administration or a set of ideaological, economic and cultural values that are promulgated through the status quo media environment. In other words dismissing the individual in favour of simplistic generalisations - the exact thing to which I am opposed!

Certainly the majority of Americans that I have met in these forums display a welcome breadth of experience and broadness of attitude that we all benefit from. And this is something we need to remember in the heat of debate when we are posting.

More power to your elbow, Berry!
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
          Isn't that something?
          Your observations are of little interest to me.
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Reinart, I think we in Britain are feeling simiarly disenfranchised when it comes to reigning in the mad activities of our awol so-called New Labour government led by Tony Bliar. Our PM is pretty much living in Bush's pocket like a pet poodle poking his head out occasionally to lick his master's hand. There were demonstrations over here against the war but practically speaking not much changed. Both in Britain and America the electorate are pretty much expected to pay their taxes dutifully and only participate in the most superficial way at the ballot box once every four years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
              Reinart, I think we in Britain are feeling simiarly disenfranchised when it comes to reigning in the mad activities of our awol so-called New Labour government led by Tony Bliar. Our PM is pretty much living in Bush's pocket like a pet poodle poking his head out occasionally to lick his master's hand. There were demonstrations over here against the war but practically speaking not much changed. Both in Britain and America the electorate are pretty much expected to pay their taxes dutifully and only participate in the most superficial way at the ballot box once every four years or so.
              I agree with all of the above GM, unfortunately Bush, son of Bush, 'n Bliar, son of Thatcher, have us by both the legal and the moral short and curlies. Dunno much about the US political scene, to be honest, but in the UK, over the previous 20 years, due to terrorism, toryism and trade unionism (according to the she beast, Mags), we've had a lot of new anti-protest based laws introduced, mainly to stop the population from exercising its' democratic right to complain imo.
              Since 9/11, our governments have made full use of the 'war against terrorism' ploy/ruse/spin/stratagem, to effect world change to their advantage, as they perceive it. The justifiable outrage of the people of our countries, at the 9/11 attack, makes it much more difficult to convince them that our leaders have descended from the moral high ground.
              I haven't met many US citizens, but I've found some common ground with all of those that I've spoken with. I'd assume that the Yanks are kinda like the Brits, with a thorough mix of good, bad and in betweens! I think that many people will make the mistake of generalising national populations, but that most of the people on this fansite are of sufficient IQ to think past that.
              He's well smoked

Comment

We remind all contributors of the Code of Conduct, specifically "Respect For Other Users":

All members of Moorcock's Miscellany will respect the opinions and presence of other members of Moorcock's Miscellany. You are welcome to engage in challenging and spirited debate with other users, but no longer will rudeness be tolerated. Name-calling, disrespecting other users or throwing personal insults against them will not be tolerated, either from an instigator or from anyone who feels like they should respond to such instigation.
                Please keep all posts firmly on-topic (as per the original post).

If you must bicker amongst yourselves, kindly take it off-forum.

Thank you.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Off-topic: "A clever mind is not a heart." - Tao te Ching

On-topic: I would agree that England is in the glass-house with America, and in no position to be throwing stones. A newspaper today printed a wall-chart of the world colour-coded to show which had "Full Democracy", "Partial Democracy" and "No Democracy". I was slightly surprised to find that England was listed as having "Full Democracy", but then it's clear that my understanding of the word is flawed in some way... I assumed it meant my vote counted for something. Sigh.

Meanwhile, on a more positive note, some of the loudest and most eloquent voices against tyranny and oppression have had American accents... of course, some of these were raised against oppression by other Americans, but the fact remains that it would be a foolish person indeed who painted ALL Americans with the same brush... or indeed ALL members of any nationality with any sort of brush.
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Working...
                  X