Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

the Pope and Islam :

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In France a muslim has just be sentenced to jail because he insulted and hit the male obsetrician who ausculted his wife after child birthing, to punish him of having violated her decency .

Comment

Bottom line is...the Pope's right, in a way. Remember the numerous death threats to Salman Rushdie over The Satanic Verses? That Dutch newspaper that ran the cartoon of Mohammed? The photographer L'E mentioned? How about the fact that the majority of terrorist groups today are Islamist?

I don't care whether it's the pot calling the kettle black, because I'm an unbiased observer as regards Catholicism vs. Islamism (or pretty much any religion, for that matter). If you do something publicly regarding their religion that Islamists don't like, you become a target.

This is not to say that there aren't morally 'good' followers of Islam, but any religion that allows for women to be executed if they don't wear a veil over their faces is at least 300 years behind the times. An eye for an eye went out centuries ago.

Comment

It does seem to me that (some) muslims aren't very good at 'turning the other cheek'.

(But that's just my opinion from within a nominally Christian environment.)
        Last edited by David Mosley; 01-26-2007, 11:17 AM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Religion and politics killed my friendships. Not violence.
          My signature is

Comment

Originally posted by Sailor on the Seas of Freight
            but any religion that allows for women to be executed if they don't wear a veil over their faces is at least 300 years behind the times.
            It's a good thing that Islam doesn't allow for this then, isn't it? Generalisations based upon the practices of extreme factions within a religion are not very helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X