Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Why Do Republicans Find Senseless Killing So Cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do Republicans Find Senseless Killing So Cool?

The whole Cheney-shoots-man-in-face thing brought to light the fact that a common passtime for Right-wingers is to trap gamebirds under debris and then oh-so-skillfully kill them at point-blank range. Weeeeeee!

For some reason, people who are naturally attracted to the self-obsessed Republican political ideal are also very much into making sure guns are readily accessable by all and ensuring there are plenty of very simple ways to use guns to kill for fun. Why is this? Why do Republicans find senseless killing to be so entertaining? Why do the same people who like to refer to Democrats as the Party of Death, entertain themselves by... er... causing death?*

I've wondered about this for some time, but I didn't feel much like writing out this particular rant back when Cheney shot his friend instead of a trapped pheasant. BUT... when I saw this (via BoingBoing), I just couldn't stop myself from spitting a bunch of venom at the Right. You see, this is how Republicans raise money for their candidates: they charge a grand per person to participate in a canned dove hunt! Now that's class.

But hey, what better day for a US political candidate to gather a bunch of Right-minded people together to blithely and effortlessly slay the Judeo-Christian symbol of peace, but on September 11?

I would truly enjoy seeing some arguments in favor of this kind of barbaric activity because I honestly cannot imagine the extent of the audacity required for such justifications.

*It occurs to me that this topic, while deserving of its own thread, is another example of Republican hypocrisy and would also fit snugly inside this thread.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

I instantly thought of this, and the moment a comedian suddenly realised (as he admitted later) he wasn't doing comedy any more. Scary...

Lenin was a great fan of hunting by all accounts, but I don't know what that proves.

There's something heavily symbolic about a dove hunt, alright.

Fox-hunting got mixed up as a kind of bogus class issue in the UK, when it was banned by Blair in a meaningless gesture. All the working-class bloodsports (cockfighting, badger-baiting) went years ago, but fox-hunting, as an aristocratic pastime, hung on in there. I must say that to me it came really low on the list of animal abuses compared to factory-farming and cosmetic-testing, but some people cheered over their bacon butties as they watched rioting toffs getting treated like miners by the cops on TV.

Prince Harry's (white) Zimbabwean girlfriend's father apparently owns a ranch where you can shoot any species you want at a price.

It's a nasty business, alright.
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
      I instantly thought of this,
      WTF is right, Mikey! The guy shot a giraffe!? Wow, big, macho guy shooting a docile leaf-eating animal. I bet that was a very challenging hunt indeed. Then he brags about shooting a critically endangered species? I must say that by the time he got to talking about how the holocaust was a good idea, I wasn't at all surprised. Would it be inflammatory for me to state that there can be no doubt this loser voted for Bush?

Originally posted by Mikey_C
      I must say that to me it came really low on the list of animal abuses compared to factory-farming and cosmetic-testing, but some people cheered over their bacon butties as they watched rioting toffs getting treated like miners by the cops on TV.
      Cruel farming practices are definitely a major concern; I don't get how profits could be that important. But what I really don't get is how killing solely for the sake of killing could be enjoyable.

I truly believe that anyone who kills for fun (whether the victim is a dove, a deer, a giraffe, or whatever) is a devolved example of humanity with a stunted intellect and even less-developed sense of ethics. The fact one of these morally bankrupt people is the vice-president of the US (and that it seems to be a common practice among people in his political party) makes me very, very sad and afraid.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
      --Mohandas Karamchand Ghandi
      Last edited by PsychicWarVeteran; 09-07-2006, 12:23 PM.

Comment

A very good friend's husband has a West Texas Deer Lease...never shoots the deer ( he's waiting for the big rack buck)but instead takes great glee in shooting the wild pigs. In fact, he absolutely loves shooting a suckling mother and watching the piglets root around her body. He films his oh so manly exploits and proudly tries to show them to my husband, whom like me thinks hunting for sport is deplorable. I always get up and walk away when he starts talking about hunting.
        I nearly lost it on him one night when he caught a cicada and burned its legs off with a lighter. What the hell is the purpose of being so freaking sadistic?Thank god he works off shore and I don't have to be around him too often because one day i fear i'll go ballistic on him and lose his wife's friendship over it:<:<

Comment

That sucks, I_S. I don't know how you can even associate with such a piece of filth. His wife must be a dear, dear friend for you to be willing to tolerate such a lousy excuse for a human being. Your description of his joy over what he does to wild piglets makes me physically sick. Hopefully, karma will allow him to experience every bit of the anguish -- physical and emotional -- he's put so many animals through.

Since I have this notion that it is Righties who enjoy this sort of thing, would you mind telling us (if you happen to know) what political party this heartless twit belongs to? Did he happen to vote for Dubya and Dick? I'll bet he did.

Comment

Hunting is not my favourite hobby and in fact, i never used a fire arm, even on a practice range.

But hunting has been for millenium not only a hobby but a necessary way of living. To kill an animal in a hunt or to eat meat killed in a slaughter house is not morally very different.

This said, i don' t condamn hunters as such. I can even understand intellectually the thriil of the true hunter who respects his prey.( not of the butcher who shoots game presented to him). I met a hunter who does not shoot the bird who lands on the tree because it is his way of defense againts predators.

but what is not acceptable is :

- sadism : people who enjoy the suffering of the animal

- butchery on animals presented to hunters waiting for them

- no respect for undangered species. I met a man who was proud to have shot a protected bird, i was red of ire.

- and some others .....

But when a hunter is hurt in his activites, too bad for him !
            Last edited by Morgan Kane; 09-07-2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I think we're mostly in agreement, MK, except...

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
              To kill an animal in a hunt or to eat meat killed in a slaughter house is not morally very different.
              I don't believe hunting or killing an animal for the purpose of food/clothing/shelter is wrong, but I would argue that the cruel way in which animals are treated in the slaughterhouses and huge farms is morally untenable.

Comment

I've attempted twice to reply this morning already but have been interrupted :< Maybe 3rd time's a charm?

Yes PWV she's a dear friend, we're practically joined at the hip ;>She doesn't roll her eyes at me when I come off with something weird. She also doesn't get mad at me when I've asked her husband if he was F"""ing stupid or what. Like i said I take it as a blessing that he's either off shore or at the deer lease most of the time so we don't have to put up with him very often. He even can be a nice sort of ass at times. Like the time he unthinkingly offered to catch me one of the baby piglets and give it to me because he knew I've always wanted a pig( that"s when I asked if he was stupid) Yeah like I really want a wild pig that's seen it's mother viiscously murdered. Uh huh really swift thinking there buddy
                And to answer your question....he has Bush/Chaney bumper stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Savant
                  And to answer your question....he has Bush/Chaney bumper stickers.
                  It really is quite predictable. Thanks for answering, I_S.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                    I truly believe that anyone who kills for fun (whether the victim is a dove, a deer, a giraffe, or whatever) is a devolved example of humanity with a stunted intellect and even less-developed sense of ethics.
                    As a lapsed (fish and free-range poultry-eating) vegetarian, I have the view that meat-eating is largely "for fun", i.e. not nutritionally necessary for civilised humanity, but i can see that to actually take pleasure in killing is an added moral issue.

There may, of course, be other things going on in hunting - social interaction, use of physical skills, exercise etc. The cultural context is of great importance. I guess this is why the "canned" hunt seems particularly reprehensible. The concept of "fair play" seems fairly absurd in the sense that the prey has not consented to any type of "play" at all, but, thinking about it, I can see it's a moral reality.

It's a true fact that many psychopaths hone their skills on animals before moving on to humans. Personally, I would steer well clear of that pig killer.
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
                    X