Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Bye Bye Blair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Bye Blair?

Originally posted by George Pascoe-Watson
    TONY Blair will leave 10 Downing Street for the last time as Prime Minister more than a decade after his historic 1997 landslide win. The Sun can reveal that he has finally decided to step down as Labour leader on May 31 next year — exactly ten years and 30 days after becoming PM.

He will call an eight-week leadership election and, once a successor has been chosen, go to Buckingham Palace and formally quit on July 26, 2007.
    SOURCE (such as it is)

Thoughts?
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

It's possible. He doesn't really want to go, but there are people in his party and the media over here who are bent on making his position untenable. There is also a school of thought that says he definitely won't jump before May because he is obsessed with doing ten years in the job.

Personally, I'm praying for a hideous bloodletting at the upcoming party conference which sees him stabbed in the back and thrown out on his ear before Christmas. After that, it would be nice to see him stand trial for warcrimes in the Hague, but it seems more likely that he'll end up with the top job in the EU or, if the US can shoehorn him in, taking over from Kofi Anan

Comment

Just my (well, pennies actually):

Downing St. are - or were at any rate - trying really hard to avoid setting an actual date for when Blair goes, so while the Sun have had a number of scoops from DS in the past I'm not sure that this isn't someone just having a guess at a 'reasonably' likely date.

It's interesting how things have slipped from 'Blair really wants to beat Thatcher's record of 11.5 years' to 'Blair really wants to reach his 10th anniversary'. I suspect things could slip even further to 'Blair just wants to see the year out'.

The problem with setting a date - at least from Bliar's POV - is that if he says 'I'm going to go on this date' the next question is 'Well, if you're going to go, why can't you go on this earlier date?'. Quite a few people in the Labour party would like to see Blair go before May because they fear he's now an electoral liability and it will seriously harm the party's local government results if he's still in office.

Basically I think it all boils down to Blair worrying about his 'so-called' legacy (which we all know will be Iraq rather than the economy, the NHS or education) rather than doing what's right for the party. The sad truth is that Blair's had 9 years in office and he's effectively squandered that time by snuggling up next to Bush and getting bogged down in Iraq. He now talks about wanting to implement various initiatives before he steps down, yet the question is why has he waited until now to do them.

Rumpelstiltskin spun straw into gold. Tony Blair has just spun.

But at least he's not Gordon Brown.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
        Basically I think it all boils down to Blair worrying about his 'so-called' legacy (which we all know will be Iraq rather than the economy, the NHS or education) rather than doing what's right for the party. The sad truth is that Blair's had 9 years in office and he's effectively squandered that time by snuggling up next to Bush and getting bogged down in Iraq. He now talks about wanting to implement various initiatives before he steps down, yet the question is why has he waited until now to do them.
        To be fair, he has implemented lots of initiatives, they are just reprehensible for the most part.

In the decades to come, when historians and economists look back at the public services which will have been near bankrupted by paying off loans to private companies solely interested in maximising shareholder profit, they will be holding academic conferences with papers such as 'PFI: Wilful Corruption or Woeful Stupidity?'
        Originally posted by David Mosley
        But at least he's not Gordon Brown.
        At least Brown isn't a complete idiot. Will he ever get the job though?

Comment

So I see this update this morning, from a different source:

Originally posted by This Is London
          It emerged this morning that Mr Blair is now willing to quit on 4 May next year - three days after he notches up 10 years in power. In a peace offer to his warring party, he is prepared to take the hit for any losses in Scottish and Welsh elections being held the day before.
          Which is all well and good, but then they say this:

Originally posted by This Is London
          Mr Blair will make a statement on his future today at a school in London but will not name a date for his departure, Downing Street confirmed.
          *sigh* No wonder you guys don't seem to concern yourselves with it much.
          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I still feel guilty for voting him in in the first place! To be fair, back in the day, I thought I was voting Labour in (Labour Classic?), to replace the residing Tories... but for some reason that isn't how it panned out. It was my first election! I didn't understand! Ah well...

I'd like him to go as soon as possible, but that's not really going to "fix" anything, is it? I mean, he wasn't just a rogue agent! Until we can figure out a way to get all the countries run by West Wing script writers, we may be in for a bumpy ride...
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I think we will see this all degenerate into 'salami tactics'. Now Blair's said he'll step down "within the year" every time there's a crisis or Labour's poll ratings slip further the internal pressure on him to go sooner rather than later will simply grow. If he hasn't gone before the New Year and it looks like Lab. will get comprehensively trounced in the May local elections I think the push to ditch Blair and attempt to salvage something in the polls will make his position untenable.

It's a lose-lose situation for Blair really. If the electrate give Lab. a bloody nose in May then his departure will look like a humiliation. On the other hand, if Labour do (unexpectedly) well he'll be able to depart on a high - even though his natural instinct then would be to want to stay on. The latter outcome is possible if people feel they can vote Labour despite Blair because they know he's going anyway.

But hopefully people's antipathy towards Bliar will win out in any case thus making the former scenario more likely.
              Last edited by David Mosley; 09-07-2006, 06:44 AM.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                I still feel guilty for voting him in in the first place!
                Ah, so it's all your bloody fault, eh?

To be fair, I think a lot of people voted NuLab in '97 because Blair wasn't John Major. People would have voted NuLab if the party had had a poodle for leader.

Oh wait, it turns out they did.

Comment

His departure is indeed long overdue and the whole affair has become something of a media farce. I feel he has somewhat shot himself in the foot, however, by talking about his potential departure in the first place.

That said, however, I think the last week has been a vile display of spineless political opportunism on the part of his detractors. Despite my dislike for Bliar, I'd love to see him vindictively sack a bunch of Brown's toadies in fit of vulgar revenge before riding off to a lucrative lecture circuit tour. It wouldn't be very fair, but it would make the cynic in me smile

Heh, and much as the idea of seeing him up on war crimes charges is intriguing, having worked at the UN war crimes tribunal for many years, I rather feel that it would be a cold day in hell before that ever came to pass. Fuel for an interesting debate, perhaps, but hardly something resembling reality...
                  The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamelion
                    Heh, and much as the idea of seeing him up on war crimes charges is intriguing, having worked at the UN war crimes tribunal for many years, I rather feel that it would be a cold day in hell before that ever came to pass.
                    I agree, but I can dream can't I?

I agree with you about the vile display of spineless political opportunism on the part of his detractors, but then that's just business as usual in the Palace of Westminster. Still, it doesn't stop me feeling a warm glow of pleasure when like Thatcher and Blair get stabbed in the back.

Comment

Personally I feel whatever he's done, the conservative party would have messed it up more.

However, I voted Lib dems.
                      I just couldn't in good conscience for for either Labor or the conservatives.

And yeah, he's sure to go whatever happens now.
                      I bet he's relieved anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X