Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Feelings of Lovecraftian doom or optimism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feelings of Lovecraftian doom or optimism?

Thoughts on the U.S. election? I go back and forth between hope and the opposite. And despite the opinion I gave on another thread, sometimes the optimism is completely symbolic. The thought of having a decent human being as President or even someone who doesn’t embarrass me everyday is more
    important most days than believing that Biden can do anything.

Doc I emailed you yesterday, but it bounced.

Many conservatives must be chuffed today. One person's doom is another person's fortune.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

57d793da1300002a0039b9ac.jpeg

Hey Doc, do you think it's possible now for more truth in political advertising in 'The Land of The Free?'

( A bit later : I've been thinking a bit about just how hard it would be for The Republican Party to top old DT in future elections...perhaps someone or some thing wholly fictional might be the only way forward...
      🙄 )
      Last edited by Kymba334; 10-27-2020, 06:11 PM.
      Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

The good news is that, despite there seeming to be so much crawling chaos about, Nyarlathotep prefers suave avatars.

The bad news is there seem to be a lot of Whately family relations infesting the body politic and a decided lack of guard dogs to deal with them.

Comment

Actually, what i find most scary about modern day politics isn't the prospect of being dragged away by a tentacle but rather that at a deeper level below the usual partisan party politics of nations ( esp during an election cycle) what is really being played out is an ongoing collision between mutually opposed and increasingly mutually incomprehensible Memeplexes.

In the name of brevity i will not rabbit on about this myself but direct anyone interested to this Link ( by someone who has considered this sociopolitical conundrum in some depth; a four years old vlog yes - yet still pertinent, imho) :

https://youtu.be/67WWrtWvxFw

Last edited by Kymba334; 10-27-2020, 11:52 PM.
          Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
            Thoughts on the U.S. election? I go back and forth between hope and the opposite. And despite the opinion I gave on another thread, sometimes the optimism is completely symbolic. The thought of having a decent human being as President or even someone who doesn’t embarrass me everyday is more important most days than believing that Biden can do anything.
            Like you, I'm oscillating, but I'm sure you've all gathered that from many of recent posts. On a personal level, I think I'm going through a bit of a metamorphosis which is where many of my frustrations have come from--I haven't yet emerged from my pupal stage to discover whether I am Moth, Butterfly, or Other. Even my optimism phases from peaceful, gradual, solution to just "get it done" and suffer the pain in the process. My pessimism, at least, takes only one form: a continuation of the status quo.

Let me put it this way:

What started as a mild gut ache in our society and political systems some time ago (I'm not talking the congenital heart defect of our founding, of course, but of something else far more ephemeral and harder to define) became necrotic and every administration since it happened has simply thrown some placebos and a little cover to hide it while it has continued to fester and spread. 9/11 tore that wound open and exposed the rotten guts of the system. The W administration tried convincing us it wasn't necrosis but an infection contracted from an external vector. The following administration threw a few stiches on that open wound and said, "nothing to see here! Move on!" without tackling the underlying disease. This latest administration tore it all right back open and revealed just how much the disease has infiltrated our major organs.

Now we are facing the possibility of either having that wound continue to violently bleed out until the American body can take no more, or of the possibility of returning to the political prestidigitation of years past trying to hide it all out of sight. There is only the faintest hope that a return to Obama-esque policies will actually be able to solve anything long term but maybe, just maybe, it can stop the bleeding a little and slow the necrosis enough to buy us the time we need to plan the surgeries and treatments needed to save the life of the American Experiment.
            "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
            --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I am actually concerned with the reactions from the part that will lose the election but I admit that the crazy Democrats are less violent than the crazy Republicans.
              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                I am actually concerned with the reactions from the part that will lose the election but I admit that the crazy Democrats are less violent than the crazy Republicans.
                The crazy Dems may not be as visibly or as heavily armed as the crazy Reps but considering the on-going violence in our cities I don't know that I'd necessarily say they are less violent. Given, it has come out that a number of instigators and fomenters of the looting and destruction were Alt-Right nut jobs trying to spark something but that hardly excuses the left for following suit.
                "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I have 6 acquaintances from different countries of Latin America that have acquired American citizenship. They all voted for Trump. I don't think these people are not even remotely fascist and are definitely all GOOD people. Still, I have anti-Trump friends who will call them fascists and will hate and despise my Trump supporter friends for life.
                  "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                  "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Historically Democrats are less committed to Brazilian interests than Republicans. Also, I am not in agreement with the excessive liberalism from some of the Democrats.
                    But I think right now, Americans need more social advances in healthcare and working laws. So, Biden is a better option if he continues to implement Obama's social programs.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                      I have 6 acquaintances from different countries of Latin America that have acquired American citizenship. They all voted for Trump. I don't think these people are not even remotely fascist and are definitely all GOOD people. Still, I have anti-Trump friends who will call them fascists and will hate and despise my Trump supporter friends for life.
                      Read an interesting article over on the Atlantic site, on Latin American voting intentions in relation to Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                        Read an interesting article over on the Atlantic site, on Latin American voting intentions in relation to Trump.
                        Pretty good article.

Comment

I will not say this out loud, but I am kind of enjoying the idea of Joe Biden. I read a pretty good analysis of the impact his victory will have for us Brazilians and Glenn Greenwald was adamant to reprove him so this is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X