Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Boomtown Rats to the rescue - I don't like Mondays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boomtown Rats to the rescue - I don't like Mondays

I was at a friend's place for an afternoon party - rare these days - and they had a medley of hits, and the Boomtown Rats' hit "I don't like Mondays" played and I thought, what a perfect expression of what we are seeing currently in the United States - a recumbent Resident Rump (minus the P T (Barnum)) casting doubt on the validity of any vote that's not for him and actively encouraging voter intimidation and the like. So i fiddled with the words for a while and this is what I came up with:

The silicon chip inside their head
    Gets switched to overload
    And nobody's gonna go to vote today
    They're gonna make them stay at home

And nobody else understands it
    They always thought it was good as gold
    And we can see no reasons
    'Cause there are no reasons
    What reason do you need to be shown?

(Tell me why)
    I don't like elections
    (x3)
    I wanna shoot the whole day down
    The Telex machine is kept so clean

And it types to a waiting world
    The land feels shocked, their world is rocked
    And their thoughts turn to their own little world
    Sweet FA, ain't that peachy keen
    Now it ain't so neat to admit defeat

They can see no reasons
    What reasons do you need, oh oh oh oh?
    (Tell me why)
    I don't like elections
    (x3)

Down, down, shoot it all down
    And all the playing's stopped in the playground now
    They want to play with their toys a while
    And school's out early and soon we be learning

And the lesson today is how to die
    And then the bullhorn crackles and the captain tackles
    With the problems and the hows and whys
    And he can see no reasons

What reason do you need to die, die, oh oh oh?
    And the silicon chip insider their head get switched to overload
    And nobody's going to go to vote today
    They're going to make them stay at home

And nobody else understands it
    They always thought it was good as gold
    And we can see no reasons
    Cause there are no reasons
    What reason do you need to be shown
    (Tell me why)
    I don't like elections
    (Tell me why)
    (repeat)

Anyone interested in putting out a music video on that, with footage of the far-right private militia hanging around the voting stations in the States?
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

I cannot like this enough. And I cannot imagine Geldolf would be too upset with the sentiments.

Thinfa just keep getting weirder in the U.S., so it might be time for the Trump Show to have a musical episode. Of course the carnival barker playing president probably wouldn’t understand that this song wasn’t flattering to him.

Comment

Actually, The Boomtown Rats wrote a better song about what the U.S.A has become,imho; although back in the day of course it was about a repressive little country called Ireland.

Onto the obligatory link and all there is to add is : Take it away Bob! - https://youtu.be/OfMwWLnpgGw
      Last edited by Kymba334; 10-12-2020, 08:02 PM.
      Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Thank you Doc and Kymba! I've been under a lot of stress lately, and your comments have lifted much of it. (I also hadn't realized how much I cared about the States until I finished re-writing Geldorf's song. It's like when Hurricane Katrina drowned most of New Orleans and I realized how much it meant to me, the birthplace of Louis Armstrong (Satchmo) and Dixie Jazz, although I've never been there. To quote The Dead Lady of Clown Town, a "goodplace".)
        sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
        And incense the power of man with God
        But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
        And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
        by Peter Cape

Comment

I worry every day. I really don’t think the nation as I know it survives another four years of Trump. I also don’t think the world as all of us know it can survive it, either.

I like to think the U.S. can still be the world’s friend, not just the bully that former right allies have to pretend to like. Knowing the world still sees the potential of the U.S. gives me a lot of hope. So thank you right back!

Comment

From my perspective in the UK, the impact of Trump hasn't been one of Armageddon but rather a sense of "who cares what the USA does? leave them to their in-fighting"
            A disproportionately balanced trade deal made by an inept UK administration is the big forward-looking fear, which I think will occur regardless of potus.
            Resurgent Russia and growing China are geopolitical issues that nobody is handling well, not USA, Europe, Africa; India or little itty-bitty UK with delusions of grandiour.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
              From my perspective in the UK, the impact of Trump hasn't been one of Armageddon but rather a sense of "who cares what the USA does? leave them to their in-fighting"
              A disproportionately balanced trade deal made by an inept UK administration is the big forward-looking fear, which I think will occur regardless of potus.
              Resurgent Russia and growing China are geopolitical issues that nobody is handling well, not USA, Europe, Africa; India or little itty-bitty UK with delusions of grandiour.
              The U.S.-U.K. alliance turned into the clown show starring Donnie and Boris. Nationalism and sowing discord for social institutions isn’t a good strategy to combat Russia and China.

Comment

Working...
              X