Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rise of TERF rhetoric in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of TERF rhetoric in the UK?

Anybody else notice this? Every time there is a transphobic hashtag or something on twitter it always seems to be from people in the UK. Other countries have problems with transgender people but the majority of left wing transphobia seems to come from the UK. I don't really know why it is that way but it is just something I have noticed. Thoughts?

Yeah, I mostly ignore them, but I'm pretty sure it's been going on for a few years. Massively signal boosted by J.K. Rowling's involvement.

If it's any consolation, there are a number of young Potter fans on my block (including my daughter) and their response to Rowling is basically, "she's wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
      Yeah, I mostly ignore them, but I'm pretty sure it's been going on for a few years. Massively signal boosted by J.K. Rowling's involvement.

If it's any consolation, there are a number of young Potter fans on my block (including my daughter) and their response to Rowling is basically, "she's wrong."
      Yeah. I'm not really too worried about younger people all my friends see through terf talking points but it's bad that it's getting so much attention in the UK with Rowling promoting that stuff.

Comment

In my neck of the world woods, the last gaming event I went to was a showcase of indigenous produced games and the number of... I dunno... non-binaries, I guess, in attendance would have given Rowling an aneurysm or something. She'd probably have thought her life was direly threatened if she'd dared to use a bathroom.

Comment

Sometimes the high profile boosting of ridiculous positions leads to people engaging with reasonable alternative viewpoints. Of course, in our social mediated world reasonable has disappeared. We need more people actually talking to one another, rather than only talking at one another. Rowling is clearly misguided (and wrong) but if her profile makes people ask questions that lead to productive conversations you can almost forgive her. Of course, everyone wishes she would be the one who was learning.

Comment

Working...
          X