Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

RBG and the new national crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doc
    Doc
    Eternal Champion
    • Jan 2004

RBG and the new national crisis

Her passing is tragic for many reasons. And despite the absence of a Justice Garland because of McConnell’s insistence that the electorate should have a say so in the selection of a new justice so close to the election, the Senate Majority Leader hd already promised to ram through a vote for her successor. The hypocrisy would be astounding if it wasn’t entirely expected, and the naked power grab is as disgusting as the gleeful hypocrisy.

Party over country. And this time the Democrats have to fight back. They’ve always reverted to “norms” and gotten their asses handed to them in the name of rejecting the appearance of complete partisanship in the embrace of stewardship of government.

The battle over norms has long been lost, and if they don’t fight this, no governing they can do in the next 40 years, even with a Senate majority and no filibuster, will undo the damage of another Illegitimate Trump Justice. Another generation being governed by minority priorities is among the most benign outcomes, and that will surely happen. The worst outcomes possible would be outright ideological warfare and the end of the republic. And no I’m not being dramatic. I thought the election was an existential crisis. This may be even more so.

• EverKing
    Eternal Companion
    • Jan 2004

For the most part, I agree with all you said. This is yet another example of the increasing partisan divide in American governance and my feelings around the issue are well recorded elsewhere, I believe.

The unfortunate act is not only that the Senate will try pushing a new nominee through (as horrible as the result may be given the administration) but that they failed to push one through four years ago. The Senate has a Constitutional duty to vet Supreme Court nominees and by choosing partisanship over duty four years ago the GOP led Senate completely failed that duty. Now, they want to fulfill that duty but again, they still fail because the transparency of the logic--they are pushing for partisan reasons rather than Constitutional.
    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• Doc
      Doc
      Eternal Champion
      • Jan 2004

I’m seriously sick about this. Power over governance, and systemic failure of representative government. And generations are going to live in Trump’s America, shaped by a Supreme Court that is out of step with the nation and even the century. The regression to 1876 continues.

Comment

Working...
      X