Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mel Gibson & Anti-Semitism [Split from 'Fundamentalis Christians...]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Gibson & Anti-Semitism [Split from 'Fundamentalis Christians...]

Mad Mel Gibson has me confused
    He says he isn't a racist. He just hates Jews.
    He doesn't like Arabs. He don't care for blacks.
    But he isn't a racist. He's just stating the facts.
    He doesn't like dagoes and he doesn't like wops.
    And he don't much like pigs, but don't tell the cops.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Mad Mel Gibson has me confused
    He says he isn't a racist. He just hates Jews.
    He doesn't like Arabs. He don't care for blacks.
    But he isn't a racist. He's just stating the facts.
    He doesn't like dagoes and he doesn't like wops.
    And he don't much like pigs, but don't tell the cops.

ha ho! I sure hope I am not racist, because I find that extremely funny. What a chuckle generator that one is!

I was just reading more about Mel Gibson and what he said.

oh well, I'm a dumb pollock, what do I know of such things? haha

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

How true, Mike!

Hutton and Mel, what a family...

Personally since learning about Gibson's beliefs I've been boycotting his movies. Not a great loss as, let's say, not listening to Wagner...
      Last edited by Oren; 08-01-2006, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Hutton is an ignorant in History and Mel should be stop himself to "lethal weapon" before of making a movie like BraveHeart full of historical errors.
        Unfortunately ignorance and presumpition have no limits
        Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

It is worth looking at Gibson's statement about this. I'm not going to cut and paste the whole thing, but you can find it here:
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5236124.stm
          He seems to be saying that whilst he knows 'deep down' he's a sound bloke, there is some sort of monster residing in his Id which manifests itself occasionally. Sorry Mel, you can't have it both ways: either you are okay deep down or you are not. It looks like you're not.

However, what I really like is this bit:
          I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery.
          So what he's basically doing is asking the people who he has been bad mouthing to help him work out why he unconsciously hates them so much! Far be it from me to speak for the Jewish community, but I think a resounding "Sod off and pay for your own analyst!" would be in order.
          Last edited by johneffay; 08-02-2006, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Ya, that does not seem to make sense.

I think he is just trying to save his movie.

Also, is he going to go around face to face and apologize to everyone in the world, or does he only mean the people in Hollywood who have the power to boycott his films?

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I kind of suspect it is all fabricated. Sure, Gibson is anti-everything that isn't proto-Catholic or so. Yet I suspect, the incident with the cops, the worries about his professional future, the excuses, the speculations, all serves to bring his projects and himself back into public attention. Producers know that even bad press is good.
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                I kind of suspect it is all fabricated. [snip] Producers know that even bad press is good.
                Gosh you're cynical! If it is fabricated, it's obviously not going Gibson's way as there is now talk of shelving his TV programme about the Holocaust. Oddly enough, the more cynical amongst us were under the impression that the TV programme in question was only being made so he could distance himself from his dad and 'prove' that he didn't have anything against Jews after his fine 'historical' portrayal of them in The Passion...

Comment

I'm interested that some people seem to be approaching Mel's behaviour as somehow utterly unforgivable and that the only permissiable response is to hound him out of Hollywood. I don't think I'm a Mel Gibson apologist (I haven't seen any film he's made for over a decade) and I certainly don't condone his words - which incidentally don't seem to be being reported in the mainstream media (I had to go to tmz.com to see an alleged transcript) - but is 'rehabilitation' completely out of the question?

As for Mel's 'dark Id' defence, I think we all have things inside us that maybe unacceptable in 'polite' society which we strive to keep them hidden. I'm reminded of the saying, 'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone'.

Ultimately, it is up to the Jewish community - as the people who have been offended - to decide whether Gibson's remorse and repentance is sincere and genuine.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                    As for Mel's 'dark Id' defence, I think we all have things inside us that maybe unacceptable in 'polite' society which we strive to keep them hidden. I'm reminded of the saying, 'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone'.

Ultimately, it is up to the Jewish community - as the people who have been offended - to decide whether Gibson's remorse and repentance is sincere and genuine.
                    Might be a bit obscure but I can't resist quoting Life of Brian regarding casting stones
                    "Are there any women here today...."

Comment

I'm interested that some people seem to be approaching Mel's behaviour as somehow utterly unforgivable and that the only permissiable response is to hound him out of Hollywood. I don't think I'm a Mel Gibson apologist (I haven't seen any film he's made for over a decade) and I certainly don't condone his words - which incidentally don't seem to be being reported in the mainstream media (I had to go to tmz.com to see an alleged transcript) - but is 'rehabilitation' completely out of the question?

I think it's fine to say something like, "I do not approve of what Mel said and that he should apologize." or insult him in return and don't socialize with him, but does this not touch a little on The Freedom of Speech?

What if from now on, whoever says something offensive or unpleasing, that person is not allowed to work in he community again, not given permits etc.
                      I could see, actors,directors,film crews not wanting to work with him, that is acceptable, but not allowing him to put out his existing movie is a bit extreme, not to mention unfair to the producers,actors and others who actually create the movie. I, for instance will say I refuse to work with Gibson, but I am not going to stop Mel from hiring the person down the street or stop him from making movies.

Other celebrities have been forgiven for various moral and legal mishaps.

Hypocritical, it is for Hollywood to keep bringing up the Joseph McCarthy business and make films about how wrong it is to blacklist people, then they turn around and want to blacklist Mel Gibson.

right or wrong?

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm not sure about his 'rehabilitation' myself, but he could start here. I visited this museum in 2001 or so, and the first thing they have you do is choose between two doors for entrance to the main exhibits- one marked "Tolerant", the other "Intolerant" (or something to that effect). One finds that the door marked "Tolerant" is forever locked.

My complaints- most of the museum was not functioning, and the Civil Rights exhibit was way too small and also not working, for the most part, which bothered me more than just a little.
                        Overall, it was way too Hollywood (not surprising) for me, but a great concept.
                        Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
                        -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

There's a Jewish saying from the Talmud: When wine goes in, secrets go out.

That's what happened to Gibson.

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                            I kind of suspect it is all fabricated. Sure, Gibson is anti-everything that isn't proto-Catholic or so. Yet I suspect, the incident with the cops, the worries about his professional future, the excuses, the speculations, all serves to bring his projects and himself back into public attention. Producers know that even bad press is good.

You might be on the right trail with the fabrication part.

Another distraction, the news turned away from the wars and focused only on Mel Gibson.

What I fear is, what information is being covered up as the public watched Mel's face plastered everywhere?

another war in the works, perhaps? some illegal covert operations?

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm interested that some people seem to be approaching Mel's behaviour as somehow utterly unforgivable and that the only permissiable response is to hound him out of Hollywood.
                              I don't care whether Gibson is hounded out of Hollywood or not. However, even ignoring his dodgy track record in this department, people who start mouthing off about international Jewish conspiracies that rule the world should be treated with utter contempt. Generations of Jews have suffered appallingly because people were allowed to get away with expressing such views without having opprobrium heaped upon them.

I fundamentally disagree with this. Firstly, I think that any right thinking person should be offended by this type of . Secondly, it should never be solely up to the victims to decide the fate of their oppressors for all sorts of obvious reason.

On a lighter note, I apologize for the typos in the heading of this thread, but I can't work out how to rectify them. Still, I quite like the idea of 'Ant-Semites'; I guess they'll be what takes over when the Middle East as we know it disappears in a nuclear flash...

Comment

Working...
                              X