Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Wal-Mart abandons German venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart abandons German venture

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5223432.stm

Wal-Mart abandons German venture
    Wal-Mart, the world's biggest retailer, is pulling out of Germany and handing over 85 stores to rival Metro. Wal-Mart has fought a fierce battle in Germany against local discount food retailers Aldi and Metro for the past nine years.
    Weak German consumer spending added to Wal-Mart's woes, while Metro's own Real food stores are also losing money.
    The deal will cost Wal-Mart $1bn and allow Metro to take over the sites without shouldering any debt.
    Workforce conflicts
    Wal-Mart, which owns Asda in the UK and has more than 5,700 stores across the world, blamed Germany's economic situation for the decision.
    The company has been embroiled in controversy over pay and conditions. It has also come in for fierce criticism over the effect its low prices are said to have on suppliers and smaller local stores.
    However, Metro itself is in the midst of a restructuring operation. The supermarket group failed to reach agreement with German labour unions on longer working hours earlier this month.
    Metro had wanted to extend working hours at Real supermarkets without extra pay. It operates 550 supermarkets, half of them in Germany.
    Wal-Mart's own strategy of cutting costs and improving its supply chain was credited with delivering better-than-expected sales of $79.61bn, and profits of $2.6bn, in the first quarter of 2006.
    Jawol!
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

What? Not enough illegal aliens to cheat out of medical benefits in Germany? Ach! Nein!
    Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Hehe, wasn't easy here for Walmart. Perhaps too many people saw "Bowling for Colombine" in which K-Mart stops its ammunition sales, but Walmart doesn't. (Of course no supermarket here sells ammo, but people are extremely pissed by smalls arms incidents associated with "American conditions". That documentary immediately had absolute cult status here.

But they had trouble in a number of areas, for instance the company rules that employees are not allowed relations among themselves completely slammed against the wall here, contravening against laws.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

I do not approve the actions and practices of Walmart.

Aside from that statement, I do not support Michael Moore's belief's and his films.

I do not like how he takes advantage of people's emotions,anger,grief,to prove his point. In my opinion he should just give the facts and don't act so condescending to the people who oppose him.

Especially in "Bowling for Colombine" where many things were not fact.

He may have made a few valid points in "Fahrenheit 9/11", but even that film was not completely accurate.

A person can't just state his opinion and claim it is fact.

Thanks,

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

My argument in Moore's favour is the same as it used to be for the Democrats. If you don't have the power and are representing a large number of people, you use whatever tricks you can come up with. Now that Republicans are using dirty tricks on an increasingly sophisticated and numerous scale, Moore's tactics are sort of acceptable. I agree he distorts, but so do those he opposes. What would be great would be if both sides agreed to tell only the truth. Can you see Bush or his people doing that ? Or the NRA, which represents commercial weapons industry far more than the constitution it only respects where it suits its interests.
          This is equally true of the modern Republican party, which has learned the dirty tricks of undisciplined big business (since Reagan's lifting of the checks and balances) and applied them so successfully to winning and keeping power. Moore's Fahrenheit 911, incidentally, is a better and more fairly argued movie than Bowling, where some of the 'statistics' were glaringly false.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
            My argument in Moore's favour is the same as it used to be for the Democrats. If you don't have the power and are representing a large number of people, you use whatever tricks you can come up with. Now that Republicans are using dirty tricks on an increasingly sophisticated and numerous scale, Moore's tactics are sort of acceptable. I agree he distorts, but so do those he opposes. What would be great would be if both sides agreed to tell only the truth. Can you see Bush or his people doing that ? Or the NRA, which represents commercial weapons industry far more than the constitution it only respects where it suits its interests.
            This is equally true of the modern Republican party, which has learned the dirty tricks of undisciplined big business (since Reagan's lifting of the checks and balances) and applied them so successfully to winning and keeping power. Moore's Fahrenheit 911, incidentally, is a better and more fairly argued movie than Bowling, where some of the 'statistics' were glaringly false.

Mike,

Yes, I'll go along with that. I only desire the truth. I would love if both sides told the truth. I can see how someone would metaphorically fight back the only way they can.

I just don't know how either side want to prove their point, if they outright offend each other. For Instance, in "Bowling" they make out like all the people who own guns are stupid or insane, or hint at there is some sexual relationship with their guns, I find this is not the case. Also, that animated segment about the Founding Fathers really diminishes their accomplishments and bravery. Moore suggests they are all scared "little" white men who only use firearms to take avantage of others. Grated there are some people who make gun owners look bad, but they are all not bad.

I think there is a "911" and a Half in production, maybe it will be more balanced so more people can get on his side.

What is really a shame is that things concerning the government show how little power the average voter really has. America, for example, is still run by the few instead of the many, those who are either clever enough,wealthy enough or otherwise "weasel" their way to power in the seat (or guise) of the representative.

Thanks, it's great to think that out. I am more than willing to change my opinion and way of thinking if the argument is sound. It's good to see all sides and options.

-Lem'

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Germany kicks Wal Mart ass! What a great storyline. If only there wasn't another company lined up to continue their exploitation...

Any kick taken by Wal Mart and its business practices is good news for everyone else in the world. No company has done more to kill labor in the US than they have, and they seem to want to spread that to the rest of the world. Corporate dominance doesn't seem to be enough for them. They want to create Wal World in their corporate image.

On Moore--
              He is a filmmaker. Like other filmmakers, most documentary filmmakers have a point of view and a narrative they follow. Moore is a lighning rod because his slices of life do not simply run counter to conventional wisdom (or propaganda), they counter them to an extreme. This has both positive and negative consequences. Too often Moore's use of extremes simply polarizes discourse or allows people to dismiss the extreme, rather than the argument. Too often people dismiss him because he is Michael Moore. However, I sympathize with him, and to some extent appreciate what he does. People too often dismiss nuance, and seem to need a harsh smack to even recognize a position other than the one into which they are entrenched. I think he recognizes nuance and subtlety in positions and arguments, but also recognizes that people do not often respond to either.

Comment

I find that alot of folk are unyielding. Whatever that they decide on first, is what they stay with forever.

Yeah, I suppose some people do need a jolt to reconsider an issure.

It does not do anyone good to not listen.

I say here what the person has to say, weigh it, then if you decide they are still full of boloney, then you can go back to your original viewpoint and stance.

That is not to be confused with Melnib-bolonéy!

I am sooo bad!

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec

I just don't know how either side want to prove their point, if they outright offend each other. For Instance, in "Bowling" they make out like all the people who own guns are stupid or insane, or hint at there is some sexual relationship with their guns, I find this is not the case. Also, that animated segment about the Founding Fathers really diminishes their accomplishments and bravery. Moore suggests they are all scared "little" white men who only use firearms to take avantage of others. Granted there are some people who make gun owners look bad, but they are all not bad.

I think there is a "911" and a Half in production, maybe it will be more balanced so more people can get on his side.

-Lem'
                  Lemec, Moore never intends to make a balanced movie. And nobody expects one from him. His point is that all the balanced films haven't helped (death rate proves that). That animated sequence in "Bowling" is pure irony, because animation is often used by those who educate children, and f the gun addicts just don't learn by arguments and statistics, why not try animations. Isn't so much being taught by animations, how to vote, how to don life-vests on a plane etc, because it is the only way to reach everybody via the lowest common denominator? Of course a lot is moved in America by abusing peoples' fear! Look how even the media switched off their brains after 9/11!
                  You're either with us or against us! Send in the cavalry!

And nobody really thinks that all gun owners have a sexual relation with their guns, but yes, I am fully convinced that a number of people try to "beef up" their little thingies or prop up their poor self-esteem with their guns over there in America, just as many here in Germany do with their fast cars!
                  And this insinuation hurts a little, sure. And it should, too. Chaplin suggested one should have seen Hi.tler with his pants down and he'd have become the laughting stock, not a dictator. So if it hurts a little, maybe the serious gun owners should not point at the man who brings the message, but do something (or a lot rather) to curb abuse of guns and too easy access to them. So many guns in the wrong people's hands and the big gains on ammo and small arms result in more grief and pain than the little stings by a gifted "Jester" among the documentary filmmakers: Michael Moore.
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                    Lemec, Moore never intends to make a balanced movie. And nobody expects one from him. His point is that all the balanced films haven't helped (death rate proves that). That animated sequence in "Bowling" is pure irony, because animation is often used by those who educate children, and f the gun addicts just don't learn by arguments and statistics, why not try animations. Isn't so much being taught by animations, how to vote, how to don life-vests on a plane etc, because it is the only way to reach everybody via the lowest common denominator? Of course a lot is moved in America by abusing peoples' fear! Look how even the media switched off their brains after 9/11!
                    You're either with us or against us! Send in the cavalry!

And nobody really thinks that all gun owners have a sexual relation with their guns, but yes, I am fully convinced that a number of people try to "beef up" their little thingies or prop up their poor self-esteem with their guns over there in America, just as many here in Germany do with their fast cars!
                    And this insinuation hurts a little, sure. And it should, too. Chaplin suggested one should have seen Hi.tler with his pants down and he'd have become the laughting stock, not a dictator. So if it hurts a little, maybe the serious gun owners should not point at the man who brings the message, but do something (or a lot rather) to curb abuse of guns and too easy access to them. So many guns in the wrong people's hands and the big gains on ammo and small arms result in more grief and pain than the little stings by a gifted "Jester" among the documentary filmmakers: Michael Moore.

I first like to say that I am sorry to steer this away from Wal-Mart.

They do sell firearms though, so I guess we can link it to the thread that way.
                    K-mart was not the only one to decide to stop selling guns, there were several sporting good stores that closed their firearm sells as well to focus on other sports. If there are more shooting incidents, Wal-Mart will probably shut down their gun sells.

About Michael Moore, I do see your point, but should his films be really called
                    documentaries?

Dictionary.com states:

Documentary : Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
                    Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

n. pl. doc·u·men·ta·ries
                    A work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration

If everyone admits that Moore does not deal in all facts, than how can it be a documentary?

Fear : I feel very betrayed by all the fear mongers in this country, no matter what their stance is, if they are selling wars to the American people or if an individual is using fear, especially fear for loved ones, to support their issue. Why should one person's view decide what the rest of us are allowed to do with our lives? If they majority say to do so according to the laws, then we have to follow the laws and the constitution, that is the way it is set up, I would accept it, but if you have any small group telling us what we should own, how we should behave etc., then that is wrong. A small group is not supposed to overrule what is law. Our representatives are a small group, but they are supposed to represent the views of the many.

I fear personal agendas from people on both side of the issue. If a person is true, and really believes they are helping the people that is one thing, but when it's more about, how many people can I control and get to convert to my ways of life, it starts to become foggy. I am not convinced that Moore, for example, really has everyone's best interest at heart. Anyone can have an ego trip, even if they start out with good intentions.

Psychology : Does everything really have to come down to sexual power?

Surely, there must be other reasons to our primal behavior?

I still say that certain aspects pf psychology can be dangerous to the individuals health, sometimes it not so good to turn too introspective.

If we as humans are supposed to be superior to all other life and possess reasoning, greater emotions (compassion,love etc.), imagination, aplication of tools and a building of society, then why do we insist upon narrowing our reasons for actions down to animal instinct?

I don't care if Michael Moore makes movies or not, that is his right, but I do not have to agree with his method.

Lemec on "Lowest common denominator." :

Yes, it is true that it is an effective wy to communicate.

However, it is still only showing one side of the issue.

Do we, as a nation want to have those that are easily, or only, swayed by the most simplest of explanations?

Do we want voters to decide on serious issues and problems without any research at all or investigation into the pro's and con's?

It seems to me that,historically speaking, is how an unthinking mob is formed?

They only believe in something because the person next to them believes in it, they have no viewpoint on the issue themselves, they just blindly follow and imitate their leader. They have no facts to back them up.

I see this in organizations who attract extremists.

PETA for example, great initial idea-protect the animals,do not abuse them etc. A good thing, until the extremist gets in there who would rather(and is often willing to) kill a human being or see/order a death human being rather than have cattle killed in a slaughterhouse. It's fine to not want them to die, it is not fine to wish a human harm or actually try to kill a human just because they want to eat meat.

I am not worries about the gun owners feelings getting hurt, but I do feel that it should be taken seriously, it is far to easy to make jokes about the issue, rather than help, minimize the problem or solve it. I still say that if you intentionally try to embarrass,harass or treat that as inferiors-a group that is on the other other side of the issue, will not go over to the other side, new extemists are created. You crreate a stubborn group that will go to their grave without changing their mind, even if they know/learn that they are in the wrong and support the wrong side of the issue, they will fight someone to the end if not treated with respect. I know all too well, that gun owners do the same to those who are Anti-Gun. That is why it is never resolved, both sides are so angry with each other, and each side thinks the other as uneducated and unimportant. Nobody liked to be forced int their decision.

Oppression should never be tolerated, no matter if the "weapon" of choice is
                    words or violence.

Thanks for the soapbox, I now turn it over to you, my friend, L'Etranger.

Keep in mind that I am American and I was exposed to propaganda and certain beliefs, I mean no offense. Some rural minds do no even believe in psychology, for instance. Some people do not accept it as truth or a real science. I'm not sure I agree with all things stated within it, either.

Taking Action: Yes, it is good to take constructive action on the issue or problem. There have been some small things that have helped reduce gun deaths, safety education etc. Certain laws are in place for a long time and massive disposals and confiscation have taken place.

I will do what I can to support my beliefs and help the problems, if I ever gain a larger "voice" I will help even more.

I am more neutral on alot of issues, but on certain things, I will speak my mind if I do not agree with something, sometimes I change sometimes I don't, but it is never to late to change and depending upon the year, situation and issue, I'll will continue to weigh all factors.

Thanks,

-Lemec
                    Last edited by lemec; 07-31-2006, 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

P.S. (to the above.)

Part of our problem as a society is that we are "advanced" creatures on the evolutionary scale.

We create far to many problems that can be solved. (ie. nuclear weapons.)

We start problems based on our emotions rather than on our needs to survive.

Hate,Jealousy,Insecurities etc., those are the fuels of the tyrant.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                        And nobody really thinks that all gun owners have a sexual relation with their guns...
                        Oh, I do. Fully. In fact, every single person I know who owns a handgun thinks it's just the coolest f*cking thing they own. Never caught without it. When they're around each other, they pull out their guns and show them off. They flick them around, producing a magazine in one well-practiced flick of the wrist and then slamming it back in with equal ease. They take mock aim at some random target in one of two styles: either the sideways "I'm a Gangsta" method or the two-handed "I'm a Champion Marksman" method. It's all masturbation with a metal, detachable penis.

Not everything comes down to sexual power, Lemec, but handguns do. Handgun lovers who think I'm nuts are only fooling themselves.

I know this is a thread about Wal*Mart, so I'll just say that it's too bad most Americans lack the self-respect and tenacity which Germans have shown in this case. Most of my countrymen still have no qualms about blithely supporting a company that exploits people worldwide.
                        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                          [FONT=Tahoma]Oh, I do. Fully. In fact, every single person I know who owns a handgun thinks it's just the coolest f*cking thing they own. Never caught without it. When they're around each other, they pull out their guns and show them off. They flick them around, producing a magazine in one well-practiced flick of the wrist and then slamming it back in with equal ease. They take mock aim at some random target in one of two styles: either the sideways "I'm a Gangsta" method or the two-handed "I'm a Champion Marksman" method. It's all masturbation with a metal, detachable penis.

Not everything comes down to sexual power, Lemec, but handguns do. Handgun lovers who think I'm nuts are only fooling themselves.

Those are the kind of people who give everyone a bad name.

I don't like people who behave like that and I do not socialize with them.

They are one of the elements that ruin things for everyone.

There were only a few bad seeds before, now there are many.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                            Those are the kind of people who give everyone a bad name.
                            Nevertheless, I have yet to meet a hangun owner who doesn't get some kind of twisted validation from the weapon.

You'll note that I am careful to use the word 'handgun' and not just 'gun'. I have found that rifle owners who enjoy a good hunt are a completely different case altogether. I know plenty of people raised on hunting and while I personally can't find entertainment in killing, I have noticed that hunters generally do not have this absolute adoration of the rifle. It's a tool to them.

Now, if you happen to be a handgun owner, Lemec, and have taken my posts offensively, I sincerely apologize. I am basing my statements upon my own experience and it may very well be that you could be the one handgun owner I've met who actually has legitimate reasons for owning an item made solely for killing another human being, though I cannot fathom what those reasons might be.

Regarding Wal*Mart and guns: I think guns and ammunition should be specialty items, available only from certified weapons dealers. Things like guns should be treated with the same (if not greater) respect as things like alcohol and medication. Stores like Wal*Mart have no business dealing in weaponry.
                            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                              Nevertheless, I have yet to meet a hangun owner who doesn't get some kind of twisted validation from the weapon.
                              I carry a 9mm for protection only. I derive no pleasure or a sense of validation from carrying it. I only wish I had it 22 years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X