Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Israel/Lebanon Conflict (Split from 'Cyprus, Refugees...'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget similar anti-Israeli claims in the past that proved to be totally false.

Remember the Jenin "massacre" (so heralded by The Guardian and other English newspapers)?

http://www.rense.com/general24/dt.htm
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...1/218vnicq.asp

Comment

• Israelian filmmakers against the war.
      Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

• Originally posted by Oren Douek
        Don't forget similar anti-Israeli claims in the past that proved to be totally false.

Remember the Jenin "massacre" (so heralded by The Guardian and other English newspapers)?

http://www.rense.com/general24/dt.htm
        http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...1/218vnicq.asp
        Oren, whilst I don't dispute your point, you might want to be more discerning with regards to what you link to. The latter is one of Rupert Murdoch's mouthpieces, and former has articles such as this sort of nonsense:
        Zionist control of America virtually complete.

Comment

• Originally posted by johneffay
          Oren, whilst I don't dispute your point, you might want to be more discerning with regards to what you link to. The latter is one of Rupert Murdoch's mouthpieces, and former has articles such as this sort of nonsense:
          Zionist control of America virtually complete.
          Oh no! Point taken, johneffay. The article that I linked from that site was from the Washington Times though. It's hard sometimes to research sites before linking, but maybe that should be done anyhow. I'll be more careful in the future! The only reason I linked these 2 was because these were on the top of the Google search result list. I would have linked the UN original report had I found it.
          Last edited by Oren; 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Any death in war is an unnecessary tragedy. Laser guided missiles such as the ones being used by Israeli forces in Lebanon are not infallible. The laser beam can be diffused/diffracted by dust particles in the air.(such as the atmospheric conditions in the warzone in Khiam)
            MODERN LASER-GUIDED MISSILES
            Modern laser-guided missiles can be self-detonated, thus requiring only a single aircraft, and their range has increased significantly. The laser-guided missiles use a laser of a specific frequency bandwidth to locate the target. The pilot must line up the crosshairs and lock successfully onto target. This laser creates a heat signature on the target. The weapon must be released during a certain window of opportunity. After it is launched, the missile uses its onboard instrumentation to find the heat signature. The target is acquired when the missile locates the heat signature. The missile is able to secure the target even if the target is moving.
            Laser-guided missiles work by following the reflected light of a laser beam, which can either be shone on the target by the aircraft itself, by another airplane, or by ground troops with a handheld laser designator. Therefore, once the missile has been launched its own instrumentation is able to remain on target, rather than older laser-guided missiles that required the pilot to continually sight the target with the laser.
            Laser-guided missiles are used for those targets that need pinpoint accuracy. A disadvantage of laser-guided missiles is that their guidance systems do not work well in all weather conditions. If it is cloudy, the water droplets in the air cause the laser to diffract. Because the laser only operates within a certain bandwidth, the laser can be completely diffracted if it is too cloudy and the missile will not be able to locate its target. Rain has a similar effect on the laser because each raindrop serves to diffract the laser beam, once again deterring the missile from its target.
            http://www.nd.edu/~techrev/Archive/Spring2002/a9.html

I would say that an enemy force would be capable of directing an alternative laser beam on an unsuspecting target without a pilots awareness. There is still room for error even at this level of technology. Dont make any convictions...yet.
            Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 07-28-2006, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• In the war in Serbia it was a chinese embassy and a bridge with civilians. Now UNs. No, I made my convictions. Hitting a building next to another, that would be an accident.

Comment

• Israel is decided to a full war ......calling back reservists ........

Comment

• But on the other hand Amir Peretz, the defense minister, refused yesterday the army's request to expand the campaign further.

Comment

• 30,000 Soldiers March Into A Ceasefire?

Im not sure if this is just a threat or an act of intimidation. The cost of mobilizing 30,000 soldiers must be phenominal. There must be some grounds to this maneuver by Israel, since it is in all the media.I would take this as a warning to get out of the "hotspots" in Lebanon.
                    Also Thursday, Israel decided not to expand its military offensive in Lebanon, but will call up troops to bolster its fight against Hezbollah.
                    Three additional reserve divisions, totaling 30,000 troops, would be called up, according to The New York Times.
                    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...in/index.html/

Comment

• I wonder, 12 pages on this forum about this war... Is it because of its huge importance for the rest of the world or just because there are no other big news on tv?

Some other news from Poland: because of drafts, the country won't have enough corn for its needs (21 millions of tons while 27 are required). Starvation is threatening Europe a bit more each year and no one seems to care.
                      Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

• Originally posted by Mespheber
                        Some other news from Poland: because of drafts, the country won't have enough corn for its needs (21 millions of tons while 27 are required). Starvation is threatening Europe a bit more each year and no one seems to care.
                        That's pretty shocking, haven't heard of the produce shortfalls there before. Drafts? Do you mean that farm workers are being drafted, or that Poland's work force in general is being depleted. Most of the work force in the U.S. these days wouldn't know how to work on a farm.
                        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

• Mes Wrote
                          I wonder, 12 pages on this forum about this war...
                          At the current rate of affairs it'll be 120 pages before anything is resolved in Lebanon.
                          Bush and Blair came together at the White House as consultations continue on the makeup and mandate of a possible international peacekeeping force to stabilize the more than 2-week-old situation along the Israeli-Lebanese border and help the Lebanese army establish over Hezbollah in the south.
                          http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14070624/

The UN is finally pulling their observers out of the line of fire.
                          BEIRUT, Lebanon - The United Nations has decided to remove 50 unarmed observers from their posts along the Israeli-Lebanese border, moving them in with the peacekeeping force in the area, a spokesman said Friday.
                          The decision came after one of the posts of the observer force, known as UNTSO, was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike earlier this week, killing four.
                          "These are unarmed people and this is for their protection," said Milos Struger, a spokesman for UNIFIL, the peacekeeping force whose 2,000 members have light weapons for self-defense.
                          http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14074483/

Mes Wrote
                          Starvation is threatening Europe a bit more each year and no one seems to care.
                          The irony in this is that there will be tons of wasted produce that cant be harvested in Lebanon and Israel because of the war.

Comment

• My dislike at the moment is the fact that you can't criticise the actions/policies of the Israeli government without being called anti-semitic. I don't like all the policies of my own government or the U.S. government. Does that make me anti-British or anti-American? No, it means I don't like that particular govenment's policies not the people of that country.
                            Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Originally posted by silverhand
                              My dislike at the moment is the fact that you can't criticise the actions/policies of the Israeli government without being called anti-semitic. I don't like all the policies of my own government or the U.S. government. Does that make me anti-British or anti-American? No, it means I don't like that particular govenment's policies not the people of that country.
                              See my reply on the third page of this thread:

The problem is not when people criticise Israel, it's when they use double standards when doing so. That's when the a legitimate criticism turns into something prohibited. The European Monitoring Centre on Racism and Xenophobia acknowledged last year that double standards when dealing with Israel is a form of anti-Semitism.
                              Nobody should call you an anti-Semitic if you criticise Israel within limits and without applying double standards.

Comment

• The problem is : who decide i apply double standard ........

The matter is to be able to see the problem from the point of view of the other . And Israel, as the major military and economical power has this responsability.

I don' t like Hezbollah ( euphemism ) but Israel attitude is stupid politically !

Hezbollah represents the big majority of chiite lebanese people, and took his importance from the first destruction of the libanese state. It manages hospitals, schools, transports, charity works etc .....

Whatever the results of the present war, it will not be politcically weakened.

Comment

Working...
                                X