Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Israel/Lebanon Conflict (Split from 'Cyprus, Refugees...'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Mosley
    Something which, of course, Israel has never done in the past, yes?

The photos are deeply sadenning.
    Indeed Israel has released prisoners in the past in negotiations with the Hezbollah (through a German mediator), although a large part of the Israeli public objected to that deal. The consensus in Israel now is that any further such deals would only weaken Israel and encourage Hezbollah, and other terrorists, to continue with such operations.

Originally posted by David Mosley
    How can you square that that with what Israel's chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Dan Halutz, told Israel's Channel 10, "If the soldiers are not returned, we will turn Lebanon's clock back 20 years."

Halutz has never been known for his eloquence. He was angry and furious at that point, hence the miserable statement. As I interpret it, he meant that like in the 80s Israel would have to enter Lebanon in order to protect itself. It wasn't meant as a threat of wanton destruction. Still, no excuse for it. In any case Israel is a democracy and such strategic decisions are not left in the hands of army generals.

By the way, I've heard several theories suggesting that Iran pulled the strings behind this war. First of all, to divert the attention of the West away from its nuclear program which is about to bear fruits. Iran hopes that Hezbollah will survive the current conflict to be used again for such diversion in the future. Second, the budding Lebanese democracy has been a lump in Iran's throat and a danger to its regime (similar democratic forces might gain foot inside it). What do you do? You provoke Israel from Lebanon and let the former do the work for you, destroying the fragile Lebanese democracy. This is an extremely disturbing thought.

Let's roll the clock back. Hezbollah crosses the border into Israel, kills 3 soldiers and kidnaps 2 while launching rocket attacks into northern Israel, demanding to release prisoners. What should Israel do at that point, to ensure the safety of its soldiers and its citizens and to prevent such incidents from recurring?

Comment

Some photos from northern Israel.

Comment

If people are not able to stop throwing each others deads and wrongs, peace will stay far away .

What disturbs me is that after last palestinian elections, hamas annonced a truce and respected it. But Israel broke it by killing Hamas leaders.

I hate Hamas as religious fanatics but peace xwill need talks with them. Israel accepted to talk with Arafat who was a terrorist leader for Israelis .....

Where i weep is that each time there was an opening, ultras from the other party closed the door.

I wonder if the international communauty should not impose a compromise as such defined at the begining of the thread and a bilateral referendum ?

If one of the two nation rejects it, or the two, things would be clear and an international embargo on the rejecting nation should be in force .. i know i dream ....

Comment

Originally posted by Oren Douek
          By the way, I've heard several theories suggesting that Iran pulled the strings behind this war. First of all, to divert the attention of the West away from its nuclear program which is about to bear fruits.
          That is about as as believable as the claim that there is a secret Zionist cabal which runs the world.

It's important to keep a sense of perspective about all this. Just about everybody who has any handle on Iran believes that they are at least a decade away from from having nuclear weapons. If they were not, do you seriously think that Israel would leave them alone?

Yes Iran probably do fund Hezbollah and that is reprehensible, but to think that they need some sort of hidden motive to do so is nonsense.

Comment

Sorry to pop in...

Originally posted by johneffay
            That is about as as believable as the claim that there is a secret Zionist cabal which runs the world.
            You mean there isn't?

Originally posted by johneffay
            Yes Iran probably do fund Hezbollah and that is reprehensible, but to think that they need some sort of hidden motive to do so is nonsense.
            There you have it. Iran needs a hidden motive to fund Hezbollah as much as the US needs one to fund Israel.

Comment

I find it strange that Kofi Annan referred to terrorist organizations as "alleged militants" when those groups admit to what they do.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

According to Israeli officials Iran is two to three years away from developing a nuclear bomb. And that estimation is almost a year old now.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/world...4709-2065r.htm

Comment

This is a real threat ......

Bush and co are in part responsable : The Iraki and Korean affairs have shown dictatorship that to be the owner of the atomic weapon could protect you from a military intervention when you are on,e of the foremost ennemy of the United States .... Even if the idea is false, It has been made believable !

The Iraki affair weakens the possibility of a solution ....

Comment

Oren Wrote
                    According to Israeli officials Iran is two to three years away from developing a nuclear bomb.
                    This estimate is implying how long it will take for Iran to fully enrich uranium.That doesnt mean that they cant purchase such materials or weapons from other countries such as Russia or North Korea. The Islamic extremists are not looking for peaceful compromise. The prisoners being held by Israel are there for committing criminal acts. What criminal acts did the kidnapped Israeli soldiers commit? Hezbollah wants the "infidels" off of the prophet Mohammed's sacred soil. Its an ancient war that wont end until one side or the other is completely wiped out or totally incapacitated. If one side or the other does use a nonconventional weapon it will catalyze a global chain reaction amongst all the super powers . That is the last thing we need to happen, but could be instigated by one irrational mistake.
                    That is a frightening possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Oren Douek
                      According to Israeli officials Iran is two to three years away from developing a nuclear bomb. And that estimation is almost a year old now.
                      And that is exactly the sort thing I would be saying if I was an Israeli official lobbying for action over Iran. On the other hand:
                      Iran's political restraint thus far may not last, the report's authors say.
                      One of them, Dr Gary Samore, told the BBC that it might take five years for Iran to overcome all the technical difficulties to produce a nuclear weapon.
                      But given Tehran's cautious behaviour so far, a decision on whether to build such a capability may be much further away.
                      "They're trying to avoid international reaction and I think it's perhaps more likely that they would try to develop their nuclear capabilities over a much longer period of time, a decade or 15 years," he said. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4217824.stm)

Comment

I personally think they already have the bomb or are about to finish it. All the seemingly erratic diplomacy is just meant to buy time, the time they need to ...hmm, built more than one bomb? Or hide it somewhere in the West where it would be denotated if concessions aren't made? Not necessarily in Israel, why contaminate land you might want to reconquer? And for instance Jerusalem is sacred to them too.
                        I am extremely worried I must admit.
                        Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                          And for instance Jerusalem is sacred to them too.
                          I'm agreed L'Etranger. This is a real bad time...
                          Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Yes, point concurred L'E.The Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Khamenei might not be "sitting on" a nuclear warhead, but Ill bet dollars to donuts its only a phone call away.

Comment

And a pre-emptive strike in that vast country would
                              a) probably go a-miss
                              b) unite ALL Muslims of the world against the West and Israel.

I'd say Ahmedinajxdethsg, how ever he's correctly spelled, knows exactly how he has to play his cards...
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                                I personally think they already have the bomb or are about to finish it. All the seemingly erratic diplomacy is just meant to buy time, the time they need to ...hmm, built more than one bomb? Or hide it somewhere in the West where it would be denotated if concessions aren't made? Not necessarily in Israel, why contaminate land you might want to reconquer? And for instance Jerusalem is sacred to them too.

another worry is, (my opinion) :

They might be in the frame of mind to feel that they would rather destroy Jerusalem than let them keep it. They might figure, if they can't have it, nobody can.

More likely, I agree that they would hit somewhere else.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                                X