Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Cyprus, Refugees & Hezbollah/Israel [Split from Moorcock Inn]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyprus, Refugees & Hezbollah/Israel [Split from Moorcock Inn]

I would imagine that Cyprus will maintain a constant 98.6F. for a few days with the sudden increase in population. Try and make sure that everyone doesnt all stand on one side of the island at the same time and cause a "tilt".

It is 100F without the refugees

Comment

Perhaps the combined body temps will lower the temperature by 1.4F. I would imagine that people are capitalizing on the situation. Who'll give me $5.00 for this bottle of water...five dollah...five dollah...seven dollah..Ive got seven dollahs from the man in the orange fedora...Sold To The American !!

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
        Perhaps the combined body temps will lower the temperature by 1.4F. I would imagine that people are capitalizing on the situation. Who'll give me $5.00 for this bottle of water...five dollah...five dollah...seven dollah..Ive got seven dollahs from the man in the orange fedora...Sold To The American !!
        Erm yes we do that usually but not to that degree I hope :) We steal the foreigners but treat them nicely too.

Comment

The Cnn estimates were 25,000 Americans and 40,000 Canadians wanting out of Lebanon. The ones holding dual citizenships might have a little diificulty. There will supposedly be 7,000 American and British citizens in Cyprus by the weekend. You'd best be setting up a hamburger and chip stand or a Rickshaw taxi service Anarc.

England Swings

England swings like a pendulum do,
          Bobbies on bicycles, two by two,
          Westminster Abbey the tower of Big Ben,
          The rosy red cheeks of the little children.

Now, if you huff and puff and you fina'lly save enough
          Money up to take your family on a trip across the sea,
          Take a tip before you take your trip; let me tell you where to go,
          Go to Engeland, Oh;

Mama's old pajamas and your papa's mustache,
          Falling out the window sill, frolic in the grass,
          Tryin' to mock the way they talk fun but all in vain,
          Gaping at the dapper men with derby hats and canes

by Roger Miller

Comment

We'd best setting up ariplanes and ships to take them home, because they are too much for us to handle. We are trying to find them places to stay but we are running out. Unfortunately that is war.

Comment

CNN estimates that 750,000 Lebanese refugees will be displaced. That is an awful lot of homeless people. I cant understand why the brunt of the blame is being put on Israel and not Hezbollah.

Comment

That needs a very long discussion In my opinion, not only Hezbollah are terrorists. Israel goverment wanted to put armed guards in a big area around their embassy in my country. Armed guards in my country man, stopping me whenever they felt like it, pointing a gun on my face and demanding to tell them who I am and where I was going. The sun has darkened my skin and I have long hair and a beard. I would be considered terrorist and be arrested by foreigners in my own country. That is terrorism.

Comment

Agreed but is there not a specific topic in raisonned debate ( Have you friends ... )

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
                    CNN estimates that 750,000 Lebanese refugees will be displaced. That is an awful lot of homeless people. I cant understand why the brunt of the blame is being put on Israel and not Hezbollah.
                    I've noticed that media outlets seem to be underscoring the Israeli strikes into Lebanon, while passing over Hezbollah's rocket attacks into Israel and indeed, their initial kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers that started the mess in the first place.
                    Case in point: the USA's largest daily newspaper, USA Today, had a front-page above the fold story where Hezbollah's attacks on Israel weren't even mentioned until the fifth paragraph of the article, and there only because the Israeli PM mentioned them in a quote. At one time I'd have been shocked at such a blatant disregard for balanced journalism, but now I'm just disgusted and resigned.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchist
                      That needs a very long discussion In my opinion, not only Hezbollah are terrorists. Israel goverment wanted to put armed guards in a big area around their embassy in my country. Armed guards in my country man, stopping me whenever they felt like it, pointing a gun on my face and demanding to tell them who I am and where I was going. The sun has darkened my skin and I have long hair and a beard. I would be considered terrorist and be arrested by foreigners in my own country. That is terrorism.
                      October 4, 1984: Cyprus. A car bomb exploded in the parking lot of the Israeli Embassy in Cyprus. The building suffered severe damage. The Abu Musa organization was responsible for the attack.

May 1988: Attempt to attack the Israel Embassy in Nicosia Cyprus, using a car bomb, detonated a few hundred meters away, killing several policeman.

The American embassy here in Budapest has barricaded a street to the side of it and has armed guards positioned. Same thing with the Israeli embassy here. The Egyptian embassy in the heart of Tel Aviv has armed guards in front of it. This is not an uncommon thing. I'm sorry you feel terrorised by it.

Comment

I guess I tend to always fall down on the side of hundreds of thousands of people who are being forcibly displaced. Oh well, it just goes on forever. My only real question is what will the US be doing by november, how advanced the saber rattling with Syria and Iran will be - how soon will we make full use our new bases in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Uzbeksitan, Kazakhstan? Will we do it in time for election 2008?

jb

Comment

Here in Greece they usually place some policemen to watch out the block.Or some platoons in case there is a croud gathering...

Well,in my village a guy sold 500ml of water for 3 euros so I guess there would be such prices in Cyprus.Afterall they are Greek too.

I mostly think how much money the owners of the ships have asked from countries that want their citizens out from Lebanon...
                          As far as I know most of the Greeks were carried by some ships of the Navy.

Sure, the US government will want a "victory over the terrorists" before the elections.

Comment

Hehehe the old "greeks are thiefs" cliche? I guess we are at many occasions.

Oren Douek I am not terrorized I am offended. So, my examples didnt do good to support the characterization "terrorists". My bad. What annoys me, which is a fact that I have accepted a long time ago, is the hypocrisy. Bush was fighting evil when he started attacking Iraq and Afganistan. Israel is fighting Hezbollah when attacking Lebanon...
                            USA where fighting to gain fuel sources while Israel are fighting to reduce the nearby countries power, since they are a threat to them. There are no good and bad guys, no right or wrong. Criticizing the "terrorists" for their violent ways or the Israelis for their offencive strategy is naive in my opinion. Innocents always pay for the sake of politics and tactics, I dont like it, we dont like it but that's the way it is. Mankind cant live peacfully, if this leads us to destruction (the Iran nuclear threat mentioned in a relevant topic) perhaps it's for the better.
                            Excuse me for abandoning serious political discussion but I felt I had to express myself

Comment

One of the most famous french revolutiuonnary song " La butte rouge " says :

" Car les bandits qui sont cause des guerres N’en meurent jamais, on n’tue qu’les innocents ! "

" As bandits who cause wars never die from them, only innocents are killed ! "

Comment

Working...
                              X