Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fundamentalist Christians: The Most Evil of All?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundamentalist Christians: The Most Evil of All?

I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian home. I attended church with weirdos who lifted their hands in the air, palms up, for every song and who occaisionally spouted out ridiculous gibberish in sad attempts to convince others (and themselves, probably) that the Holy Spirit had entered them and was talking through them. I've been to Promise Keepers. I've seen people supposedly "slain in the spirit". I've even been cussed out by a man who had just walked out of a church service. To this day, I have a pretty lousy relationship with my parents simply because I don't subscribe to their bigoted brand of Christianity.

But nothing compares to what I've seen today. Today, I saw a piece at the website of Harper's magazine which documents some forum posts by "Christians" at the Rapture Ready/End Times chat bulletin board. These posts reveal that many fundamentalist Christians are some of the most evil-hearted, hate-mongering, incompassionate people in the world! Here, let me show you:

It turns out there's an upside to the current conflict between Israel and Hezbollah—if you're waiting for the second coming of Christ. Here's a selection of excited messages spotted over the last few days on the Rapture Ready/End Times Chat online bulletin board. By Ken Silverstein.

"Something inside me is exploding to get out, and I don't know what it is. Its kind of like I want to do cartwheels around the neighborhood."

"Got that dancing feeling on the inside of me."

"I have been having rapture dreams and I can't believe that this is really it! We are on the edge of eternity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Whoa! I can sure feel the glory bumps..."

"I too am soooo excited!! I get goose bumps, literally, when I watch what's going on in the M.E.!!"

"I am excited beyond words that the struggle of this life may be over soon and I can finally be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"
    I think I'm going to be sick...

I must have missed the spot in the Bible where Jesus tells us to rejoice in the suffering of others.

SOURCE
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Shudder.
    I would guess that it must be pretty worrying to live in the same country, society or even same town with people, and a significant lot of them, with whom one can no longer reach the simplest consensus and to whom all bridges have burnt down irrevocably. You have to worry when they are going to do something so extreme out of their fanatic perception of the world!
    Here it is more seldom out of some freak Christianity, but political lunacy or pseudo-creeds. Extreme rightists or Pan-celtic druido-goons, perhaps. Smaller scale, surely, but they're out there somewhere.
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Fundamentalists of every religion are dangerous people.

The matter become urgent when they have power .........

But i am not sure you can say fundamentalists are not true jewishes/christians/muslims/ indouhists.

For a religious man, the aim is to convert, to lead people to the true faith and to the good way of living. Unbelievers and no practicionners are infidels and damned .....

It is secularism who taught religions to respect the rights of other faithfull and unbelievers. And i am sure that if secularism backs, religions will comme again to the fore ?

I don't criticize people but institutions !

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
        I would guess that it must be pretty worrying to live in the same country, society or even same town with people, and a significant lot of them, with whom one can no longer reach the simplest consensus and to whom all bridges have burnt down irrevocably.
        You can say that again! It truly sucks when such disparate views exist in one's own nuclear family!

Originally posted by Theocrat
        Do you think christ would've wanted that? He told us to love the enemy and show him compassion, right?
        Exactly! He said "I tell you to love your enemies." But what I see out of fundamentalist Christians is cold hatred.

To my eyes and ears 'these are not christians'.
        Agreed. I'm sure Jesus would appreciate it if they called themselves something else.

It must be painful for you not having a good relationship with your parents.
        It is painful indeed. In fact, it is the single thing keeping me from achieving my full happiness potential. Not a day goes by that I don't anguish over it. Thanks for your compassion, Theocrat!

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
        But i am not sure you can say fundamentalists are not true christians...
        Oh, I think I can. They may think they're Christians, but how can they be if they flagrantly disregard the teachings of their lord in order to justify their own secular desires?

Christianity has no "infidels". Jesus didn't condone hatred.
        Last edited by PsychicWarVeteran; 07-20-2006, 12:24 PM.

Comment

"Turn the other cheek" from the New Testament is not nearly as fun as all of the smiting in the Old Testament, particularly if you are waiting for the end of the world.

It seems so odd to me that the group of Christians who are most decidedly literalists place so much stock in the most metaphorical book in the Bible (Revalations), which, by the way, was not canonical for the first three centuries of Christianity.

Waiting for the rapture lets those people be smug. In the worst and most hypocritical way.

Comment

I have some in french as heavy...
            Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Hi PsychicWarVeteran

What you're basically addressing is the concept of self-desception - an ever present and relevant subject. Tragic even more so when this includes one's parents/old aquaintances
              Last edited by Anders; 07-20-2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Chick is a must !

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/...1_01.asp&wpp=a

Comment

By now, on another thread, you know I also have some views on this. I have been "slain in the Spirit" and spent some time (last summer, actually, just about this time) homeless and being guided and protected by God Himself. I find prayer with palms raised the proper way to go about things. I can speak in "prayer language" (which is NOT speaking in tongues!). I've seen miracles.

And in my church I see a bunch of Pharisees that need their butts kicked and somebody to turn on their dydpeptic brains. It's pitiful. They mouth the words, sing the songs, flop on the floor, run their homes like something fearing the Spanish Inquisition (dispensing of all but "praise music" and watching only "Christian TV").

These are idiots of the lowest magnitude.

Push their buttons a bit, they become vituperous, angry, foul-mouthed fascists. Push a little more and they will spend all time and effort trying to get one burned at the stake. I'm surprised tar and feathering has not come back into fashion.

Even the "good" ones are marginal at best. They are not truly apprehending (in the phenomenological sense) any of Jesus' teaching. They are merely following a new interpretation of laws and beavior.

It's sickening.

Me? I remain. Despite both the world and the Christian wrong )can't call 'em the "Christian right" - they ain't right) I remain. But I am not at all impressed by evangelism which invariably includes exhortation for money and sells stuff for "love gifts".

With all this I would exhort y'all to attend to the prophecies found in the Bible, particularly what Jesus is quoted as saying. I understand the "rapture people", but see it as a process with all the pieces falling in place. But, personally, I have not received any early notification yet. And I DO believe true followers of Christ will recieve such news. We may not know the day or hour, but it says nothing in scripture about the year, month or week. I read scrpture as having very clear signs and warnings.

It's just a pity so many self-righteous, pride-filled people are going to miss out on all the fun.

But the cookie-cutter form of pseudoChristianity is nothing but salesmanship, and an embarrassment to the saints. In no wise do we need to act all holy and sanctified here on earth. All we need to do is do our best, treat others as we would wish they would treat us, and try our best to understand (not just "read") the Word. We cannot buy a ticket to Heaven! We are sinners saved by grace, and as "sin" means "falling short [of an ideal/God]" and "grace" means "unmerited favor") it becomes quite clear this is purely up to God, and it is completely up to Him who fries and who thrives.

PWV, I understand how much it must hurt because you have not become a cookie-cutter offspring. How they must "pray for you"! Quote them some Jesus "I come to bring life, and bring it more abundantly". Life without joy and spending all one's time trying to get each other to act (not "think"!) just like them is nothing but hubris. Tell 'em to lighten up, they're acting like Pharisees! That oughta shock them enough to either expose their inner rage, or, preferably, open space for an adult conversation.

Milk-drinkers need to be beware of beef-eaters!

Cheers! And God Bless you all!

Miqque
                  ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

This post was in the topic about evolution but i wonder if he is not more at his place here ?

Religious texts sometimes uses symbolic words to express symbolic things ..... but must not to be used litterally !

Another point : many texts and concepts in the bible come from non jewish sources. For instance the paradise as a garden is found in other oriental mythologies.... predating the writing of thje bible .

Genesis seems to be such a text ?

More, he has been writed and rewrited and the first version seems to be lost.

Last, nothing except god being perfect, the bible cannot be perfect ?

Comment

Good to see you, Miqque. Was waiting for you to weigh in.

Originally posted by Miqque
                      Tell 'em to lighten up, they're acting like Pharisees! That oughta shock them enough to either expose their inner rage, or, preferably, open space for an adult conversation.
                      Nope, all it would do is get me disinherited.

Thing is, this sort of Pharisee behavior seems more common in Christian circles than does the ascetic, thoughtful demeanor prescribed by Jesus Christ.

And I didn't mean any insult with the 'palms up' comment; it just seems silly to think that holding ones palms up when one sings makes God turn a blind eye to (for example) one's persecution of gays or one's ability to ignore the homeless. I'm offended by people who think they're speaking tongues in church, but have nothing nice to say to a drug addict or a prostitute.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                        Good to see you, Miqque. Was waiting for you to weigh in.

I'm offended by people who think they're speaking tongues in church, but have nothing nice to say to a drug addict or a prostitute.
                        Here cِmes Ms. Brunner

Comment

Originally posted by Anders
                          Here cِmes Ms. Brunner

Comment

Old joke. Not mine, but I've expanded it a little for the occasion. Enjoy:

Dude dies and ends up in Heaven, where he's greeted by St. Peter. 'Here, let me show round the place', says Peter. So they wander through Heaven and Peter points out all the various people and groups who live there. Dude see catholics, baptists, anglicans, methodists, pentacostalists, greek orthadox, russian orthadox, lutherans, presbyterians, and other Christian denominations.

As they continue walking he's surprised to also see jews, muslims, hindus, sikhs, buddhists, taoists, daoists, zorastrians and other non-Christian faiths. 'Hey,' he says, 'what's with all these guys? What are they doing here?' Peter replies, 'Oh, God's ineffable, you dig? If He wants to let all these people into Heaven that's his perogative, right?' Dude agrees. Everyone seems really happy after all. They walk for a little further and the groups of people thin out and gradually disperse.

Soon they're walking through open countryside, and the man asks where they're going. 'Wait,' says Peter, 'It's not much further.' Presently they come to a set of huge walled enclosures - great big brick walls that reach up into the sky and form massive circles in the fields. 'What's this?' the man asks. 'Put your ear against one of the walls - any one, it doesn't matter which, and tell me what you hear', Peter tells him. Guy walks over to a wall and puts his ear up to it and listens.
                            'I can hear voices,' he says. 'Muffled voices, can't quite work out what they're saying.'
                            'Try another wall,' Peter invites him. Dude does and reports he can hear the same things.

He goes back over to Peter and says, 'What is it? Who's behind the walls?' 'Ah,' says Peter, 'These are all the fundementalists.' The man looks blankly at him. Peter smiles, then whispers: 'They think they're up here on their own.'
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I have an animosity against putting people into small boxes. Most of all they're just 'people' and life is 'a giant mystery'.

Comment

Working...
                              X