Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Boycott Walmart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danisty
    replied
    I hate Wal-Mart...I haven't been since December and I avoid it when I can. They've really put a big dent in local grocery stores and such, even the chains like Kroger and Food Lion are suffering where I live. I just view Wal-Mart as evil, not to mention that shopping at Wal-Mart takes so much time and causes stress.

Leave a comment:

• krunky
    replied
    Wal-Mart Welfare
    By David Sirota, Christy Harvey and Judd Legum, The Progress Report
    May 28, 2004

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18816

A new report released from Good Jobs First this week shows that Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, has received more than $1 billion in economic development subsidies from states for its stores and distribution centers. The subsidies have come as many states are forced by White House tax cuts and reductions in federal grants to make tough budget decisions. A report by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities shows states are cutting subsidies for publicly funded health insurance, child care, federal employment, both higher and lower education, and programs aimed at public safety and people with disabilities - all this while ponying up taxpayer dollars to subsidize a retailer that took in more than $200 billion in revenue and netted nearly $9 billion in profits last year, even as it paid workers near-poverty wages, drove out local businesses and violated environmental regulations.

{edit: more at the URL above...}

Leave a comment:

• ThanosShadowsage
    replied
    Unless someone here wants to hire me... I think I'm going to be sucked back up into the Black Hole that is Wal-mart. I'm going to apply for a job at the one here in Dayton soon.

Thanos

Leave a comment:

• Theocrat
    replied
    Originally posted by VonWeiner
    Yeah that is kind of sad. I think it speaks to the way older people are treated sometimes in this society. You'd think they would allow them to contribute more.

Sun Tzu said:

now the brave can fight; the cautious defend; and the wise counsel; thus there is none who's talent is wasted

might not be exact - quoting from memory and do not want to get up and grab the book - sry.

I have the Art of War - Samuel B. Griffith, it is good. Best I've ever seen. Good site for it if this interests you:
    http://www.sonshi.com/

One of my favorites...
    Remember the old PC game? My brothers oldtime favourite! :)
    Sun Tzu seems to have been influenced by Lao Tzu in his teachings.
    War and taoism? Lol.... But he Sun Tzu makes good points that has influenced strategy for 1000's of years... But i wonder how much?

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolf
    replied
    I'm boycotting Walmart because of their policy of not allowing customers to use bank debit cards as credit cards. All because they don't want to absorb the fee.

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    I own a lot of guns myself. I like to collect, but have never hunted. I have no problem with it though. I'm from NJ and we didn't hunt at all. Went to Ohio and most of my friends did. That's where I got most of my guns. Gun shows every month.

I like guns - I like the engineering. I like to shoot them too. Nothing like an AK going off in your hand. Or my Colt Anaconda. I can hit anything with it. Love revolvers... Here in Texas you can even get a license to carry concealed. I'd drive two minutes and find a reason to pull it out on some idiot, no thanks (must be my cuban/irish temper! :lol: )

"Oh crap, VonWeiner is one of those crazy, gun-toting Americans!!"

Leave a comment:

• dlackey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Originally posted by dlackey
    Wal-mart sells guns because in many areas of the country, people use them for sporting, namely hunting and target shooting. I don't think you can buy .44 magnums and whatnot in Wal-mart can you? Isn't it just like hunting rifles and pellet guns?
    Yeah, i live in Redneck North Carolina and almost everyone and their mother hunts. (Myself and friends excluded, im from NY originally) Walmart carries hunting rifles, and BB guns, but no handguns.

Leave a comment:

• dlackey
    replied
    Wal-mart sells guns because in many areas of the country, people use them for sporting, namely hunting and target shooting. I don't think you can buy .44 magnums and whatnot in Wal-mart can you? Isn't it just like hunting rifles and pellet guns?

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    I have blocked it out of my mind Thanos. I think it is my mind's only defense 8O

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Last time i was in W-Mart they had guns and stuff still. Not sure about the ammo though.

Leave a comment:

• ThanosShadowsage
    replied
    Yeah

Yeah they do...

And Von Weiner - you very well could have seen my records. I live in Indianapolis IN ;p that was in your region. Worked at the Store on Pendleton Pike, I forget the store #.

Thanos

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Somebody enlighten me - does WALMART still sell ammunition?

Michael Moore seems to have convinced the competitor somethingMart out of dealing in arms, as he showed in "Bowling for Columbine". But what about Walmart?

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Don't know why, but that made me laugh. Must be tired! :lol:

BLOODY DEMOCRATS!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    BLOODY DEMOCRATS!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X