Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Boycott Walmart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Yeah that is kind of sad. I think it speaks to the way older people are treated sometimes in this society. You'd think they would allow them to contribute more.

Sun Tzu said:

now the brave can fight; the cautious defend; and the wise counsel; thus there is none who's talent is wasted

might not be exact - quoting from memory and do not want to get up and grab the book - sry.

I have the Art of War - Samuel B. Griffith, it is good. Best I've ever seen. Good site for it if this interests you:
    http://www.sonshi.com/

One of my favorites...

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Plus they depress you by putting the old people who cant do anything else except wave and say hello at the door to greet you.

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Thanos,

I almost cheered! Until the end of the post. :lol:

Hey wait a minute, I think I saw your records... ...slacker :D

Wal-Mart is evil and $$$ driven.

Leave a comment:

• ThanosShadowsage
    replied
    Amen!

I just quit my job at Walmart because of this post! Fight the power brothers!!! WOOO! Just kidding... I did quit... and I do agree that Walmart's ethics are questionable... but I didn't quit because of that.

Thanos

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    On Wal-mart

The law firm I worked at had Wal-Mart as one of its clients. Without revealing anything priviledged I can say that all the bad press you have heard is true.

Their employment practices are deplorable. It is all about the bottom line. I went through their records for about a year from stores in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana (other offices were handling other states) looking for evidence that could be used against those filing claims against them (schedules, reports, absentee notices etc...). They print out records on big 14" computer paper and have warehouses of them. The further we dug into them, the uglier it was. For Wal-Mart.

They are an evil gluttonous leech on humanity! I agree Catherine Cornelius.

Oh well, now to be sued by Wal-mart myself...

Leave a comment:

• Catherine Cornelius
    started a topic Boycott Walmart

Boycott Walmart

By Jim Hopkins, USA TODAY

Wal-Mart (WMT), the USA's biggest company, is beefing up in a new area: politics.

It has rocketed to No. 2 among top campaign givers in the 2004 federal elections. Four years ago, it didn't rank in the top 100, says the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan watchdog group.

Republican candidates are the big winners in this year's election. They received about 85% of the company's contributions, including those of its political action committee, employees and children of founder Sam Walton.

Wal-Mart's rise is significant because of the impact it might have on congressional debates about health care, labor and other hot-button regulatory issues, says Larry Noble, the center's executive director. "They're clearly making a move," he says.

The company has more than $250 billion in annual revenue. (No. 2 is General Motors, with $187 billion in annual revenue.) Wal-Mart is also the USA's biggest private employer, with 1.2 million workers.

But unions say Wal-Mart's push to keep costs low is driving thousands of factory jobs overseas. It's facing a potentially costly sex discrimination lawsuit from female workers. Plus, a federal grand jury is investigating claims that Wal-Mart cleaning companies used illegal immigrants.

Wal-Mart denies the sex discrimination claims. It says it is innocent in the case of illegal immigrants. Still, the growing criticism has tarnished the company's image, and helped spur its leap into Washington. "Our voice wasn't there to be heard," says company spokesman Jay Allen.

It's now being heard through:

•Campaign donations. Wal-Mart's political action committee and employees have given about $1 million in the 2004 elections so far - almost entirely to congressional candidates. Just $5,000 went to President Bush (news - web sites), and none to Democrats seeking the White House - a trend underscored Monday in campaign finance data released by the center. Bush's No. 1 donor to date: Merrill Lynch's (MER) PAC and employees. They gave $432,104 of the $132 million Bush raised. Wal-Mart gives to pro-business candidates, without expectations, Allen says. "There are no quid pro quos," he says.

Walton's children are big givers, too. Wal-Mart Chairman Rob Walton last year gave $25,000 to the National Republican Congressional Committee. His brother, John Walton, gave more than $150,000 to Republican causes since 2000. Their sister, Alice Walton, gave more than $100,000 in the same period.

•Lobbying. Wal-Mart has five staff lobbyists in Washington - up from one when it opened its office there in 1999.

Top 30 Republican (US) donors with global consumer brands1 MBNA $3.0m
    2 Philip Morris $2.9m
    3 Microsoft Corp $2.4m
    4 Bristol Myers Squibb $2.1m
    5 Pfizer $1.9m
    6 Enron $1.8m
    7 Citigroup $1.8m
    8 Time Warner/AOL $1.6m
    9 Amway $1.3m
    10 Glaxo SmithKline $1.3m
    11 Exxon Mobil $1.2m
    12 News Corp $1.2m
    13 General Electric $1.1m
    14 Limited Inc $950k
    15 BP Amoco $950k
    16 American Airlines $900k
    17 Schering Plough $900k
    18 Anheuser Busch $850k
    19 Chevron Texaco $800k
    20 Revlon Group $760k
    21 American Home Products $740k
    22 PepsiCo $720k
    23 Walt Disney $640k
    24 WalMart $630k
    25 Texas Utilities $630k
    26 Coca Cola $610k
    27 UAL Corp $570k
    28 Archer Daniels Midland $530k
    29 Ford $510k
    30 General Motors $510k

-- BoycottBush.net, April 2003

In related news, "Many fund-raising experts of both parties believe Bush can raise $200 million or more for his primary campaign, double the record of roughly $100 million he collected for his 2000 campaign." -- Salon, Jan. 7, 2004
Working...
X