Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

State of the Nations: Overskilled/Underskilled Workforce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Nations: Overskilled/Underskilled Workforce?

Sandra Haurant of the Guardian Unlinited states in her article from Feb. 02, 2004, that in England "some 135,000 vacancies had not been filled because of a lack of applicants with the rights skills."

reference:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/work/sto...137289,00.html

Having witnessed extreme volatility in the biotech market here in the USA first hand, I contend that the opposite situation exists here in the states; that positions for highly skilled and/or speciallized individuals are much harder to find in the USA.

Above is a poll listing several possiblities.

What is your opinion?
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Existing employees also lack the competence required by their employers, the report said. One fifth of employers claimed that their staff did not have the relevant skills, and 30% of those said that this incompetence had a direct impact on profits because of higher operating costs.
    Yet again Big Corp seeks to shift the blame of a poor economy onto the shoulders of the small guy. I submit that those answering the survey are people who don't actually work with the incompetents; they are the incompetents. Who hired these unskilled laborers and professionals? Aren't these the same people they rushed to under pay? It may imply they need to train the trainers. It's okay to embezzle millions on top of your millions in salary. But you are a dreg if you don't reach 167% productivity. Hey Big Corp! We are watching you turds and soon, very soon, you're going to be sucked down the tubes. The reason those vacancies haven't been filled by qualified candidates is because they don't want to work for your substandard wages!
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I would agree. It cost more money to hire skilled workers - then again you get a healthy ROI - usually.

It seems sometimes the focus here(USA) is better - cheaper. Most companies put enormous pressure on managers to beat last years "numbers". One place they always can turn to is labor. It is a shame (most managers would agree, I am sure). It is so hard to build a good team, then just when you think you have one, someone tells you to start cutting back, thus negating much of the work you have done to bring the team together. You make cuts, morale sinks, attrition grows... Ahhh.

I worked as the Dir. of Development at a software co. for a few years and this was the case. It is not as impressive as it sounds (it may not sound impressive at all :roll: ), I was just the project coordinator for all projects/tech initiatives, but since they were running out of money, they started to hand out titles (that's how it goes as any of you dot-com veterans may know). I tried to hang on to people, they were all so talented (more so than myself, my strength was in bringing them all together), but the higher-ups would ask for some trimming of the pack.

I know tons of peole who are extremely talented and can't find work. Most are graphic artists and audio guys and some programmers. I still do some work for the principals of the now abandoned company as they still have software out there used by clients which needs updating. But for me, I know more highly skilled people out of work than underskilled with work.
      When they had advanced together to meet on common
      ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
      and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
      each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
      mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
      killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Having been in the biotech industry over the last 9 years, I've personally witnessed the demise of four different biotech companies within 5 years.
        The high-tech jobs for scientists and lab technicians are unstable and seem to last between 3 months to a year at best now. I find that companies here in the USA would rather pay less money for an unskilled worker and attempt to train them, instead of hiring an already skilled worker. And, as mentioned by Berry above, the people doing the training ususally need training themselves. This results in an incompetent staff, higher operating costs and unhappy, underpaid employees; a losing combination. I've also noticed that the same positions are paying less than previously.

While on the topic, I've noticed on TV that many news stations, as well as president Bush, keep saying that unemployment is decreasing. I can't see how this is true. I know more unemployed people now than ever before in my life, including myself. I think it is just that peolpe's unemployment claims are ending and they are still out of work...
        \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Oh come now MJR, you know that unemployment is as they say.

...I also heard they are increasing the chocolate ration and Oceania's forces are victorious again. That's double-plus good!

But seriously, I have never claimed unemployment and most I know haven't either, so I never understood why "they" placed so much importance on those stats (well, I do understand why, but I guess I mean "how could they?")

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I am having trouble finding a thread at google that supports my next assertion: Once your benefits have been comsumed, you drop off the "New Jobless Claims". So, while some live in near destitution, the numbers of unemployment drop. One wonders if there is a correlated homeless statistic. I suppose that's not possible when you've dropped off the list.

VW: ever listen to The Eurythmics 1984 album? It's in my top 5 list. Love that album.
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I wonder how large that "dropped off the list" list is now... I bet it's growing exponentially.

Comment

Yup, my wife has it on CD. She got it a few years ago when it came out.

"Attention! Your attention please!
                A newsflash has this moment arrived from the malabar front!"

They are great. Anne Lennox is (was) a hottie.

/had to look up the lyrics...

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

The thing about the Guardian report is it didn't say what skills - for instance like in the US we still have a surplus of software developers. On the other hand we have a definite shortage of plumbers, electricians, qualified builders, etc. There is a furniture restoration firm somewhere in N.Wales with 150 jobs going who said they can't find any young people interested in training up. Admittedly, maybe if they offered more money they would have a queue.

Ditto plumbers - they expect people to work 5-7 years as apprentices to become fully qualified because once you qualify you will earn more than most white-collar jobs - but a bit of a long time to be on a minimum income - longer than a law degree. And a bit too long to retrain into mid-life while you've got mortgage payments to meet.

As for incompetence - unless you have more competent people willing to do a job than there are jobs to go round, then you'll always end up with some incompetent people getting jobs just because at least they're willing.
                  (Also why you get so many cowboy builders and plumbers - more demand than competent people).

Comment

Berry Sizemore previously wrote an article related to the topic. Here's a link to the article at his website below. Check it out:

http://www.medusahaircut.com/2004/01...ey_find_a.html

Comment

Jobless Claims Plummet on Better Weather

I didn't realize the weather had such an effect on the jobless claims. I guess that makes sense, eh? So, all we need is some sunshine and we'll all be employed!! :roll: I wonder if the weather pattern accurately tracks the jobless benefit curve...

Jobless Claims Plummet on Better Weather
                      25 minutes ago Add Business - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Tim Ahmann

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of Americans lining up for an initial week of jobless benefits took an unexpectedly sharp tumble last week from a level elevated by cold weather, a government report showed on Thursday.

First-time claims for state unemployment aid dropped 24,000 to 344,000 in the week ended Feb. 14 from a revised 368,000 the previous week, the Labor Department (news - web sites) said.

The drop was the largest since the week ended Nov. 1 and was greater than economist on Wall Street had expected. Markets had looked for claims to fall to 353,000 from the 363,000 originally reported for the prior week.

Market reaction was muted, but prices for U.S. Treasury bonds did dip slightly and the dollar strengthened a bit against the euro in the moments after the report was released.

"I think on balance, the report is consistent with continued, moderate, but sluggish improvement in the labor market," said Alex Beuzelin, a foreign exchange analyst at Ruesch International in Washington.

The closely watched four-week moving average, a more reliable gauge of the pace of layoffs because it smoothes short-term swings, rose slightly to 352,000 from 351,750 the week before.

Initial claims have been below the 400,000 level normally linked by economists to a strengthening jobs market for 20 straight weeks, but hiring has remained anemic.

Job gains have averaged just 73,000 over the last five months, well shy of the 150,000 or so new positions needed each month just to keep pace with growth in the labor force.

"We are back to the 344,000 area ... we are stabilizing at this level," said Robert Brusca, chief economist at Native American Securities in New York. "The improvement in claims seemed to be stalling there. Stalling is not good because we still have so far to go."

A rise in initial claims in the prior two weeks had been pinned on unseasonably cold weather in the Southeast, which kept construction workers off the job. A department official suggested warmer weather contributed to last week's drop in claims.

"There were some sharp declines in states that had reported weather-related increases in the prior weeks," he said.

The number of unemployed still on the benefit rolls after claiming an initial week of aid rose by a sharp 106,000 to 3.19 million in the Feb. 7 week, the latest for which figures are available. Still, so-called continued claims are well below the elevated levels they hit in the wake of the 2001 recession.

Economists said the latest rise in continued claims tempered the otherwise positive tone of the report.

Comment

Working...
                      X